• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Godfathar's Advice On Which Is The Best Nautilus Out There

Nivka

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/4/15
Australia
Many thanks Godfathar and BIONONE

Still though, noone seems to deal with the thickness of the project. Could someone perhaps take the case of the PFv2 and shave the extra 0.5mm off? Alternatively, could one take the case of PPFv2 and the bezel of PFv2? I am just wondering how to get the best result. Does the JJF have anything good in it that one could harvest?

Best

DJ

The ppf bezel doesn’t fit the pf case

Gen hands won’t fit the miyota

My PF is 8.9mm. Not all PPF are 8.5mm; some will be thicker eg 8.6 or 8.7mm

legend and slaughterer62 can thin the caseback by around 0.3mm

imho your best bet is PF base, gen dial, PF date wheel, caseback thinning and polish/rebrush. I wouldn’t bother with the ppf movement deco

Last edited:
Reactions: Dj3381

Dj3381

Supporter
Certified
29/8/10
EU
Thank you very much Nivka, much appreciated. Would legend / slaughterer also take care of the polishing / rebrushing or would I need to go elsewhere for that? Re-luming may also be required if I am not going to be using the gen hands. Any pointers on that?

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Thank you very much Nivka, much appreciated. Would legend / slaughterer also take care of the polishing / rebrushing or would I need to go elsewhere for that? Re-luming may also be required if I am not going to be using the gen hands. Any pointers on that?

I've heard they likely can upon request, you need to PM either of them for confirmation.

Thank you Nivka for the mention. You were 100% correct that there are variances in the thicknesses of the cases from the same factory. Common machining tolerance.

Major Tom

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
18/7/15
Godfathar What is the thickness of the 5980 BP V1 you have? Just curious as I´m trying to find out which version I have myself at 14mm thickness. I think it´s the V2 but not sure. Many thanks in advance and for your excellent reporting.

roadtofreedom

Renowned Member
26/12/18
Godfathar What is the thickness of the 5980 BP V1 you have? Just curious as I´m trying to find out which version I have myself at 14mm thickness. I think it´s the V2 but not sure. Many thanks in advance and for your excellent reporting.

Hi, can you kindly post some photos of your PP 5980?

PP 5980 is my grail and since I have no hope of new releases, I'm considering pulling the trigger with current version of it.

Major Tom

Banned
18/7/15

PP 5980 is my grail and since I have no hope of new releases, I'm considering pulling the trigger with current version of it.

Sure, I wear it quit often, great watch. I will also send you the old QC pictures in a bit

IMG-20190520-121722603-1.jpg

Reactions: roadtofreedom

Major Tom

Banned
18/7/15

Old QC pic´s. Even though it had the date at 13 I´ve had no problems with it so far :) The thickness is not an issue for me as it sinks into the wrist quit a bit and notice it that much. I regulated it to +5/-5s a day and is keeping good time since. Thought about painting the chrono/sec hand but I actually prefer the chrome even though it´s not like gen. Lume is very good and lasts a pretty long time i.e. through the night. The only thing I haven´t done is pressure testing, the way it´s put together with the 4 side screws (same as gen) doesn´t give me a lot of confidence in being waterproof. Maybe someone else can chime in here.

IMG-2446.jpg

IMG-2447.jpg

IMG-2448.jpg

IMG-2450.jpg

IMG-2449.jpg

Major Tom

Banned
18/7/15

On the wrist. I could take out another link, but I don´t wear it tight (which would sink it even down further in the wrist) but rather loose. If I pull the strap the back case completely disappears in my wrist while still feeling comfortable.

IMG-20191013-112037004-HDR-1.jpg

IMG-20191013-112206846-1.jpg

Major Tom

Banned
18/7/15

Like I said mine is 14mm thick, whereas the gen is 12.3/5mm thick, you really don´t notice the 1.5mm extra thickness. Go get it if you can, you won´t regret.

Major Tom

Banned
18/7/15
Big sec hand is activated bij the top pusher, stopped by the top pusher and reset with the lower pusher. I leave it running all the time. The subdial and hand do not work, fixated at 12

Godfathar

I'm Pretty Popular
17/5/15
Europe

Hey buddy.. my caliper is at work.. could measure it for you tomorrow.. however.. from one look at your QC pics of the side profile, it is definitely V2. As mine is much slimmer.. here I'll leave you a comparison pictures..

yours..

IMG-2447.jpg

Mine:

20191013-171525.jpg

To be all honest.. the gen is 12.2mm and version one is thicker as you might tell.. and V.2 they made it even thicker.. as much is it does sink in the wrist.. to me, it still feels raised so much.. especially when you want to hide it under a cuff..

But nevertheless, today, there is no chance to get V.1 anyhow from a TD. You need to just sit like a hock on M2M in Hopes one would come for sale.. although V.1 in the rep world is as hard to find as the gen in the wild, everyone is holding on to them hahahaha..

Enjoy it in great health mate.. and my only advice, is to reset the chrono hand and not use it, as the movement is well known for being a tick bomb, and making the hand work all the time might worsen the situation.

Cheers.. have a great sunday..

Major Tom

Banned
18/7/15
Thanks for clearing that up mate. It does look thinner indeed and 1.8mm makes a difference especially under a cuff. Gen 5980 is, as far as I know, also the thickest of all the Nautilus models and I´ve heard people complain about being top heavy. If I may ask, did you pressure test yours and how did that work out i.e.; is yours waterproof. I find it difficult to imagine getting it waterproof with just the 4 screws on the side, and also the pushers. Anyway, well done with the V1, wear in good health!!

Godfathar

I'm Pretty Popular
17/5/15
Europe
I haven't water proofed any of my reps in general, I don't dare wear them next to water, I get nervous while washing my hands when I have one on hahahahaha.. I have spent so much time and money to mod my reps, I don't take the risk of having them leak water inside if something fails..

Kindest regards,

Last edited:

chenakos

Known Member
17/8/16
So, my Nautilus mod story.
Similar to what Godfathar has done some months ago. Continue reading and you will understand.

When I first saw the Patek Philippe Nautilus SS in blue, I was amazed. A couple of years later I saw the rose gold one with the brown dial. That was it, I was in love!

Since then I have been trying to find a rep RG Nautilus that would be as close as possible to the gen one. When I saw the rep that the PF factory built, I thought this doesn’t look bad. So, I bought the watch and got it since then in my collection. It has been a year since the moment I got this watch and one day I asked the question in here whether has anyone done a mod using the gen dial and the PF watch. The answer was positive and that was the moment I thought I needed to research more on that!

Godfathar was kindly enough to share his experience with me. Really great support on this one. So a big thank you Godfathar!

The next step was to find a gen dial at a reasonable price so that my project could start. I was surprised to see that there were a couple of these little brown gen dials available out there, not all of them at a price I was willing to pay. Some days later I had already found the right price, and bought the most expensive part I have ever bought :wacko:

The gen dial within days was in my hands. Needless to say how amazing this dial is! It’s a true chameleon and I feel that when this dial sits inside the rose gold case can get even more colors!

So, the next step was to get the date-wheel, and that was the easy bit, thanks to the Nautilus Date Wheel Project.

As soon as I had all the parts with me, then the next step would be to send all of them to a modder. I have managed to find one from RWI, however I will respect his request not to share his details here or in pm's. I am happy he kindly accepted to do the mod for me, so thank you modder!

I have now sent the watch and parts to him and now I am expecting some good news and pictures.

I will keep you posted with more updates as this project goes forward.

The RG Nautilus from PF factory:
The PF Nautilus with the gen dial, next to each other:
The gen dial:

Final part, the date-wheel that is matching the gen one:

Reactions: Godfathar

Godfathar

I'm Pretty Popular
17/5/15
Europe
So, my Nautilus mod story.
Similar to what Godfathar has done some months ago. Continue reading and you will understand.

When I first saw the Patek Philippe Nautilus SS in blue, I was amazed. A couple of years later I saw the rose gold one with the brown dial. That was it, I was in love!

Since then I have been trying to find a rep RG Nautilus that would be as close as possible to the gen one. When I saw the rep that the PF factory built, I thought this doesn’t look bad. So, I bought the watch and got it since then in my collection. It has been a year since the moment I got this watch and one day I asked the question in here whether has anyone done a mod using the gen dial and the PF watch. The answer was positive and that was the moment I thought I needed to research more on that!

Godfathar was kindly enough to share his experience with me. Really great support on this one. So a big thank you Godfathar!

The next step was to find a gen dial at a reasonable price so that my project could start. I was surprised to see that there were a couple of these little brown gen dials available out there, not all of them at a price I was willing to pay. Some days later I had already found the right price, and bought the most expensive part I have ever bought :wacko:

The gen dial within days was in my hands. Needless to say how amazing this dial is! It’s a true chameleon and I feel that when this dial sits inside the rose gold case can get even more colors!

So, the next step was to get the date-wheel, and that was the easy bit, thanks to the Nautilus Date Wheel Project.

As soon as I had all the parts with me, then the next step would be to send all of them to a modder. I have managed to find one from RWI, however I will respect his request not to share his details here or in pm's. I am happy he kindly accepted to do the mod for me, so thank you modder!

I have now sent the watch and parts to him and now I am expecting some good news and pictures.

I will keep you posted with more updates as this project goes forward.

Glad to be of any help buddy.. looking forward to seeing it in here.. enjoy it in good health in advance.. :D

Reactions: chenakos

chenakos

Known Member
17/8/16
chenakos Oh dear. this is gonna be amazing. The only one with a gen dial is Godfathar if I am correct. but perhaps there are others.

I wish you all the best with this mod and yes, please post pictures . amazing build. Little bit jealous I am hahaha :) :)

Thank you stanevo6 , I am also looking forward to hold this modded watch in my hands.
It will be like I am buying a completely new Nautilus.

As soon as I have some pictures I will update this thread.

Reactions: stanevo6