• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Godfathar's Advice On Which Is The Best Nautilus Out There

Godfathar

I'm Pretty Popular
17/5/15
Europe
Godfathar,

what do you think about PF Blue dial vs GEN Blue dial?

I’m doubting on PF 5711 Blue dial or PF 5711 Blue dial 40 Anniversary. This last one is really close to the GEN Blue dial 40 Anniversary ..... much more than PF 5711 Blue dial vs GEN Blue dial.

Regards.

To be honest.. no blue dial in the rep market is close to the gen. However, I'm only concerned with the dial color on the wrist. And the blue dials from experience "generally speaking" are good enough. The PF blue dial is good enough on the wrist. But like you said it's not like the gen. That's why after modding a white dial "which is easier for the factories to make" , I stopped wanting to wear my blue dial.

But I have to say.. people should still enjoy the PF blue dial. It shouldn't stop anyone from wearing it .

roadtofreedom

Renowned Member
26/12/18
To be honest.. no blue dial in the rep market is close to the gen. However, I'm only concerned with the dial color on the wrist. And the blue dials from experience "generally speaking" are good enough. The PF blue dial is good enough on the wrist. But like you said it's not like the gen. That's why after modding a white dial "which is easier for the factories to make" , I stopped wanting to wear my blue dial.

But I have to say.. people should still enjoy the PF blue dial. It shouldn't stop anyone from wearing it .

Here the point is that PF 5711 Blue Dial is a little bit darker than GEN 5711 Blue Dial. And I like it.

On the other hand, PF 5711 RG Dial is brighter than GEN5711 RG Dial ..... and this is not of my taste. Specifically on Rose Gold version I prefer JJF dial than PF dial.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181122/cbb879af4224201e08b00d85ec2afde9.jpg

Reactions: Godfathar

Topcatz

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/12/17
Canada
Is the rep white 5711 still have the hour hand and minute hand lume colors issues?

Just wonder I have the blue PF 5711.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Ajaneson

Horology Curious
24/12/18
So I am about to pull a trigger on a 5711, and cant decide between the PF and the MK V5. Read agreat review onanother forum suggetsing that MK dial was closer to Gen and only drawback was the date wheel. Any views here on which one to go for?

thanks

fettyrepz

MULTI ACCOUNT
20/8/15
UK - MK

Is there a reason why the blue is so hard to replicate?

From what I've seen they find it so hard but white seems to be the easiest.

BlackJaguar

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/18
So I am about to pull a trigger on a 5711, and cant decide between the PF and the MK V5. Read agreat review onanother forum suggetsing that MK dial was closer to Gen and only drawback was the date wheel. Any views here on which one to go for?

thanks

Care to post a link to the review? We would be immensly appreciative. :)

BlackJaguar

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/18

Simply, wow. This is an amazing review. Godfathar so he can opine on the review.

In my experience, and maybe this experience is just unique to me, but I have both the PF (blue dial) and MK v.5 (white dial), and I can honestly say that MK v.5 bracelet feels multiple times better than the PF bracelet. The PF bracelet feels abrasive and rough.

Yes, the PF bracelet hugs the wrist better, but has sharp edges. I actually cut my finger running my hand across the back of the bracelet. I had to give it to my watchsmith to rework the bracelet. If it doesn't improve, I'm contemplating modding it and selling it.

The MKv.5 bracelet, although may need some pressure on the bracelet to make it hug the wrist better, it a much smoother bracelet than the PF bracelet (in my opinion).

Reactions: gilrob and Ajaneson

Ajaneson

Horology Curious
24/12/18
Simply, wow. This is an amazing review. Godfathar so he can opine on the review.

In my experience, and maybe this experience is just unique to me, but I have both the PF (blue dial) and MK v.5 (white dial), and I can honestly say that MK v.5 bracelet feels multiple times better than the PF bracelet. The PF bracelet feels abrasive and rough.

Yes, the PF bracelet hugs the wrist better, but has sharp edges. I actually cut my finger running my hand across the back of the bracelet. I had to give it to my watchsmith to rework the bracelet. If it doesn't improve, I'm contemplating modding it and selling it.

The MKv.5 bracelet, although may need some pressure on the bracelet to make it hug the wrist better, it a much smoother bracelet than the PF bracelet (in my opinion).

Thats great BlackJaguar, thanks for sharing. Is there a big difference in the movements/timekeeping between the two?

Godfathar

I'm Pretty Popular
17/5/15
Europe
Hi,

without taking into cosnideration its thickness (14mm, way far from GEN), what do you think about PP Nautilus RG 5980?

http://www.trustytime.club/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=39_199&products_id=15502

What is the best rep out there of PP RG 5980?.

Thanks in advance

Unfortunately in my opinion, the BP version 1 (undecorated movement, hence slimmer) was the closes to gen, after of course modding it and painting the chrono hands to match the gen.

but I heard today, BP is out of version 1, and only version 2 the thick one you're talking about is available. So personally, with it being that thick, I wouldn't buy it. There are other nice reps that I would look in to.

thankfully I was fortunate to buy the BP version 1 in steal and rose gold. And modded them to have the right chrono hands.

Reactions: roadtofreedom

roadtofreedom

Renowned Member
26/12/18
Unfortunately in my opinion, the BP version 1 (undecorated movement, hence slimmer) was the closes to gen, after of course modding it and painting the chrono hands to match the gen.

but I heard today, BP is out of version 1, and only version 2 the thick one you're talking about is available. So personally, with it being that thick, I wouldn't buy it. There are other nice reps that I would look in to.

thankfully I was fortunate to buy the BP version 1 in steal and rose gold. And modded them to have the right chrono hands.

Thanks for your comment.

In this model, thickness is not a problem to me ...... but I just realized that seconds neddle is not working. How can it be?

Thanks

Godfathar

I'm Pretty Popular
17/5/15
Europe
OK, long post alert with loads of pics. If you are not interested in knowing about my 2018, skip to next paragraph, if you are interested, please read on. It has been a while for me to be excited about a rep as much as I am excited about this one.. in the past year or so, I didn't manage to find something really nice in the rep market, so I settled with the reps I have, after all, most of the reps I have are modded and worked on. few disappointments in 2018, my modder (an artist to be honest) told me that he retired, he no longer wants to mod reps, it seemed it was so much pressure on him, so he quit. when I got the news, I was truly lost, I didn't know any other modder, and I had a few projects lined up, but when he told me he is retiring, I stopped all plans of buying reps and modding them to become very close to gens. Also some disappointments with regards of some reps have died on me in 2018, 3 to be exact, and 2 more the crown can be unscrewed out of the rep and the hands can not be set.. I do not know if that would be an easy fix or not. More over 2018 got me some dead on arrival reps.. so I am glad that 2018 is done, and I hope 2019 will be better for me in the rep world. I have a new modder that everyone here is vouching for, and I will start with him my first project. below you will see the details of it.

I know this might be boring for few of you to see yet another Nautilus project, but to be honest, I have always wanted a close to gen 5711/1R. in 2015, I came to the forum because I was interested in the RG Nautilus, before even wanting the steal version. My issues in the past were mostly the dial was really far from gen, and the date wheel. all the old versions that came out could't make the rep look close to the gen on the wrist, heck some versions had even the wrong end links. the dial color can scream FAKE from a mile away, the DW also if you look at it closely, the DW was much thinner and some of the old reps came with the wrong font all together. I knew of few friends who bought them and immediately flipped them cos of the faults were screaming at them and they couldn't take staring at those tells. Then came out the PF.. PF had taken the time to make the best over all structure, great case, and really top notch bracelet. their steel version is an instant sell out, they couldn't catch up with the demand. so they took a shot at the RG version. I was waiting for that version to come out, and when it did, I was holding my breath, but just like all the other factories, their shot on making the dial look like the gen was a failure. But they still made a great RG rep overall, if you do not look at the dial and DW, you would see the rep is a good quality rep, that looks close to the gen, not to forget to mention they succeeded in making the rep thinner of all its competitors out there. As much as I was excited about the PF RG 5711, I never thought of getting it, purely for the dial and date wheel tells that are a mile apart from looking like gen. then things started to align somehow.. I heard about the great project that Keylog74 started in May called "Nautilus date wheel project", I kept following the project, and soon enough, the project materialized and people are so happy with the output, thanks to all the hard working members, we have solved the date wheel issue right now for the ones that hated the rep date wheel. that is one step closer to realize that the RG Nautilus can actually happen. at the end of 2018, I got introduced to slaughterer62 , and we worked out a schedule for the first project. so again, that made the 5711/1R closer to reality.. but I was still not 100% going for it because of the bad honey looking shiny dial the PF has, and everyone was telling me, go for the JJF dial, it is better, but the problem is that the JJF is also not quite good enough.. it is better than the PF true, but the color is far from the gen dial. and in December, things aligned, somehow again, and made my dream RG Nautilus idea a reality.. I have bitten the bullet and purchased a gen 5711/1R dial. don't ask me how much I have paid for it.. I don't even want to remember, but all I can say is that this rep would be the most expensive rep I will have after slaughterer62 finishes it. I will keep updating this post as we progress with the project. Thanks in advance to slaughterer62 and the guys who worked on the Date Wheel Project. let's see some pics...

Arrival of the PF RG Nautilus this morning

20190118_094443.jpg

front pose.. (dial is a mess, DW not aligned, I didn't care, as I need the case and movement, the rest will be swapped and worked at)

20190118_094512.jpg

back pose! (not going to take the seal nor adjust the size)

20190118_094526.jpg

some measurements for you, since it's in my hand (40mm diameter)

20190118_094633.jpg

9mm Thickness including crystals

20190118-094709.jpg

close up on the PF dial

20190118_094738.jpg

Now the gen Patek Philippe 7511/1R dial (pictures can't do it justice, and the color is not showing on the pics like the real thing)

20190118_094927.jpg

20190118_094928.jpg

Trying to show you the different shades (dark brown, light brown, gold, grey.. no wonder the rep factories can not do it.. it's really complicated)

20190118_094939.jpg

want to see the side by side comparison between the gen and the rep dial?

20190118_095014.jpg

20190118_095024.jpg

trying to move it to show under different lighting, but actually no need, the difference is vast.

20190118_095046.jpg

here is the new close to gen date wheel..

20190118_095104.jpg

and last but certainly not least all the parts that will undergo in the project :)

20190118_095210.jpg

I hope all will go well, and I will receive my most expensive rep even.

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
7/10/15
Ireland
OK, long post alert with loads of pics. If you are not interested in knowing about my 2018, skip to next paragraph, if you are interested, please read on. It has been a while for me to be excited about a rep as much as I am excited about this one.. in the past year or so, I didn't manage to find something really nice in the rep market, so I settled with the reps I have, after all, most of the reps I have are modded and worked on. few disappointments in 2018, my modder (an artist to be honest) told me that he retired, he no longer wants to mod reps, it seemed it was so much pressure on him, so he quit. when I got the news, I was truly lost, I didn't know any other modder, and I had a few projects lined up, but when he told me he is retiring, I stopped all plans of buying reps and modding them to become very close to gens. Also some disappointments with regards of some reps have died on me in 2018, 3 to be exact, and 2 more the crown can be unscrewed out of the rep and the hands can not be set.. I do not know if that would be an easy fix or not. More over 2018 got me some dead on arrival reps.. so I am glad that 2018 is done, and I hope 2019 will be better for me in the rep world. I have a new modder that everyone here is vouching for, and I will start with him my first project. below you will see the details of it.

I know this might be boring for few of you to see yet another Nautilus project, but to be honest, I have always wanted a close to gen 5711/1R. in 2015, I came to the forum because I was interested in the RG Nautilus, before even wanting the steal version. My issues in the past were mostly the dial was really far from gen, and the date wheel. all the old versions that came out could't make the rep look close to the gen on the wrist, heck some versions had even the wrong end links. the dial color can scream FAKE from a mile away, the DW also if you look at it closely, the DW was much thinner and some of the old reps came with the wrong font all together. I knew of few friends who bought them and immediately flipped them cos of the faults were screaming at them and they couldn't take staring at those tells. Then came out the PF.. PF had taken the time to make the best over all structure, great case, and really top notch bracelet. their steel version is an instant sell out, they couldn't catch up with the demand. so they took a shot at the RG version. I was waiting for that version to come out, and when it did, I was holding my breath, but just like all the other factories, their shot on making the dial look like the gen was a failure. But they still made a great RG rep overall, if you do not look at the dial and DW, you would see the rep is a good quality rep, that looks close to the gen, not to forget to mention they succeeded in making the rep thinner of all its competitors out there. As much as I was excited about the PF RG 5711, I never thought of getting it, purely for the dial and date wheel tells that are a mile apart from looking like gen. then things started to align somehow.. I heard about the great project that Keylog74 started in May called "Nautilus date wheel project", I kept following the project, and soon enough, the project materialized and people are so happy with the output, thanks to all the hard working members, we have solved the date wheel issue right now for the ones that hated the rep date wheel. that is one step closer to realize that the RG Nautilus can actually happen. at the end of 2018, I got introduced to slaughterer62 , and we worked out a schedule for the first project. so again, that made the 5711/1R closer to reality.. but I was still not 100% going for it because of the bad honey looking shiny dial the PF has, and everyone was telling me, go for the JJF dial, it is better, but the problem is that the JJF is also not quite good enough.. it is better than the PF true, but the color is far from the gen dial. and in December, things aligned, somehow again, and made my dream RG Nautilus idea a reality.. I have bitten the bullet and purchased a gen 5711/1R dial. don't ask me how much I have paid for it.. I don't even want to remember, but all I can say is that this rep would be the most expensive rep I will have after slaughterer62 finishes it. I will keep updating this post as we progress with the project. Thanks in advance to slaughterer62 and the guys who worked on the Date Wheel Project. let's see some pics...

Great post and good luck with the build.

Reactions: Godfathar

ArcAngelRay

29/11/18
Asia

Arrival of the PF RG Nautilus this morning

20190118_094443.jpg

front pose.. (dial is a mess, DW not aligned, I didn't care, as I need the case and movement, the rest will be swapped and worked at)

20190118_094512.jpg

back pose! (not going to take the seal nor adjust the size)

20190118_094526.jpg

some measurements for you, since it's in my hand (40mm diameter)

20190118_094633.jpg

9mm Thickness including crystals

20190118-094709.jpg

close up on the PF dial

20190118_094738.jpg

Now the gen Patek Philippe 7511/1R dial (pictures can't do it justice, and the color is not showing on the pics like the real thing)

20190118_094927.jpg

20190118_094928.jpg

Trying to show you the different shades (dark brown, light brown, gold, grey.. no wonder the rep factories can not do it.. it's really complicated)

20190118_094939.jpg

want to see the side by side comparison between the gen and the rep dial?

20190118_095014.jpg

20190118_095024.jpg

trying to move it to show under different lighting, but actually no need, the difference is vast.

20190118_095046.jpg

here is the new close to gen date wheel..

20190118_095104.jpg

and last but certainly not least all the parts that will undergo in the project :)

20190118_095210.jpg

Looking forward to the completion of the project! Have been looking into Nautilus and Aquanaut lately

Reactions: Tobel