• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

3K Aquanaut 5167 hands relume

dashindark

Renowned Member
20/4/17
Today I received my modded 5167 from my modder who took 3 weeks to finish the modding, a bit too long.
I bought the following items:
1. hands relume.
2. buff DW installed
3. modified gen stem, with a CNC stem as spare part.
4. full service for the movement
5. second hand pinion painted white.

the total cost is about 150 dollars. The cost is fair, but the problem is that he screwed up the relume. There are a few small scraches on the hands and the lume is not done well. The color is accurate but there is a darker area on both hour and minute hands. Other things are fine. The service is done perfectly without trace and the whole watch runs stably at +1s/day.

Does anybody know why there is a darker area in the lume? Looks fuzzy. I thought this would be a simple task originally.

BTW, I will definitely find someone else to do the relume this time. I was told just now that the relume+restoring hands can be done in 3 days.

Last edited:

Garuda

I'm Pretty Popular
15/12/12
Does anybody know why there is a darker area in the lume? Looks fuzzy. I thought this would be a simple task originally.

new lume is usually 'dragged' in one continuous motion. the darker area would be the starting point of the swipe where the lume is thickest. they can apply a 2nd layer from the other side with the risk of hand clearance or paint the underside so its opaque.

not a easy task

Tig990

Known Member
6/5/19
Today I received my modded 5167 from my modder who took 3 weeks to finish the modding, a bit too long.
1. hands relume.
2. buff DW installed

the total cost is about 150 dollars. The cost is fair, but the problem is that he screwed up the relume. There are a few small scraches on the hands and the lume is not done well. The color is accurate but there is a darker area on both hour and minute hands. Other things are fine. The service is done perfectly without trace and the whole watch runs stably at +1s/day.

BTW, I will definitely find someone else to do the relume this time. I was told just now that the relume+restoring hands can be done in 3 days.

Are you US based by any chance? My 3KF aquanaut has been with my modder for a few months now for similar projects, wondering who else is out there who does such work on reps

dashindark

Renowned Member
20/4/17
Are you US based by any chance? My 3KF aquanaut has been with my modder for a few months now for similar projects, wondering who else is out there who does such work on reps

I am not. I did not find any affordable modder when I was in the US....

dashindark

Renowned Member
20/4/17
new lume is usually 'dragged' in one continuous motion. the darker area would be the starting point of the swipe where the lume is thickest. they can apply a 2nd layer from the other side with the risk of hand clearance or paint the underside so its opaque.

not a easy task

Thanks for your explanation

Keylog74

Put Some Respect On My Name
14/6/13
150 usd for dw relume full service gen stem and all the other stuff? Wow that’s cheap. Who’s your modder?

Reactions: KilltheDeath

dashindark

Renowned Member
20/4/17
150 usd for dw relume full service gen stem and all the other stuff? Wow that’s cheap. Who’s your modder?

Just a random guy I found on a platform. He deals with a few watches a day so I had to wait long.

Not cheap considering he messed up the relume. I sent it to another guy already to fix the hands scratches and the relume. Today it arrives at his place and he will do the polishing/ white gold plating on the hands tomorrow. Hopefully he can get it done within this week as he promised 3 days.

dashindark

Renowned Member
20/4/17
I actually found someone else who runs a small studio that specializes in dial/hands. It deals with 300-400 dials and sets of hands each months, from the cases shown I think it is really good. I did not choose him because he also told me to wait 15 work days which is roughly 3 weeks. I absolutely don’t want to wait for so long again.

r3plik4

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/8/21
1. hands relume.
2. buff DW installed

Sorry for random, un-related questions here, but just for my own selfish knowledge, I'm curious:

1. What is your the base watch, i.e., from what factory?
2. Modified gen stem - what does this do? Does it help reduce the crown protrusion and if so, do you mind sharing some pictures of it? Might be interested in this mod.

Tobel

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/7/17
Sorry for random, un-related questions here, but just for my own selfish knowledge, I'm curious:

1. What is your the base watch, i.e., from what factory?
2. Modified gen stem - what does this do? Does it help reduce the crown protrusion and if so, do you mind sharing some pictures of it? Might be interested in this mod.

The factory name is in the title, it's 3K.

Regarding the stem, I'll let OP confirm but 3K stems are known to be their weak spots so I suspect the new stem is meant for reliability

r3plik4

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/8/21
The factory name is in the title, it's 3K.

Regarding the stem, I'll let OP confirm but 3K stems are known to be their weak spots so I suspect the new stem is meant for reliability

Damn, you're right. Sorry I missed that.

Re: 3K stems reliability - thanks for that. Good to know what I'm potentially dealing with.

weezkid

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
12/1/21
Lane Cove

Garuda is correct, reluming is not an easy task to do, very few modders do it well.

As for uneven application, you would have to show us some photos so we can all benefit from it. You must have spent quite a bit of money on it as well so you're more than entitled to share.