• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Is modding your patek worth it + PPF 5712 pictorial

Peguine

Mac and Cheese sucks
18/3/19
At a mcdonalds birthday party
Im builinding a similar franken with PP0412 - Nautilus Moon Phase 5712 SS/SS Blue PPF Mod 240
the mods that i will do are

Recess crown
Bevel markers
Bevel hands
Fix the moon phase
Flexible endlink

After all i will close the caseback, and i will do pvd
treatment.

what is the modification on the dial? can you help me

Legend did the dial

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peguine

Mac and Cheese sucks
18/3/19
At a mcdonalds birthday party
Im builinding a similar franken with PP0412 - Nautilus Moon Phase 5712 SS/SS Blue PPF Mod 240
the mods that i will do are

Recess crown
Bevel markers
Bevel hands
Fix the moon phase
Flexible endlink

After all i will close the caseback, and i will do pvd
treatment.

what is the modification on the dial? can you help me

Legend did the dial

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grillbrill

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
9/7/18
EU
@Peguine, at last I can be wearing my 5712 rep with a stock dial and I've found that in different lighting condition sometimes the blue tint and sometimes the green tint is the dominant dial hue. The green tint might be seen more frequently. What is your experience with your re-finished dial? I can describe the color of the stock dial as dark metallic turquoise getting darker towards the edge like this nail polish:
j9k3dY.jpg

Last edited:

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
I think it looks great mate. Congratulations.

Modding is never ending tho.

For example the person above mentioned getting the markers bevelled (which you chose not to do), I personally would also want the hands re-lumed to match the hour plots, someone else would also want the clasp modding for smoother operation etc etc. The list goes on and on but yeh for me it’s all part of the hobby. I don’t take it too seriously these days.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

antoniothegame

Horology Curious
13/11/21
Italy
@Peguine, at last I can be wearing my 5712 rep with a stock dial and I've found that in different lighting condition sometimes the blue tint and sometimes the green tint is the dominant dial hue. The green tint might be seen more frequently. What is your experience with your re-finished dial? I can describe the color of the stock dial as dark metallic turquoise getting darker towards the edge like this nail polish:
j9k3dY.jpg

At the end,what do you suggest? to modify the dial or to leave it as stock

grillbrill

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
9/7/18
EU
At the end,what do you suggest? to modify the dial or to leave it as stock

Well, I don't really know. I've seen neither a gen nor a re-finished rep dial in person. Anyway, I think it's up to one's personal preference. If you want to see more blue on your dial then re-finishing may be your choice. However, if you prefer a wider color range from bluish turquoise to greenish one (including sometimes metallic grey) then leaving the stock rep dial as is may be the right decision. Fortunately I own a PF 5711 hybrid with a PPFv4 dial so I don't miss prominent blue from my Nautilus reps.

antoniothegame

Horology Curious
13/11/21
Italy
Well, I don't really know. I've seen neither a gen nor a re-finished rep dial in person. Anyway, I think it's up to one's personal preference. If you want to see more blue on your dial then re-finishing may be your choice. However, if you prefer a wider color range from bluish turquoise to greenish one (including sometimes metallic grey) then leaving the stock rep dial as is may be the right decision. Fortunately I own a PF 5711 hybrid with a PPFv4 dial so I don't miss prominent blue from my Nautilus reps.

i bought PP0412 - Nautilus Moon Phase 5712 SS/SS Blue PPF Mod 240 from trustytime.he sends directly to the modder.of course when you mod, you do it to be close to the gen. so it's not a matter of how you like it but how it has to be.right?

grillbrill

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
9/7/18
EU
i bought PP0412 - Nautilus Moon Phase 5712 SS/SS Blue PPF Mod 240 from trustytime.he sends directly to the modder.of course when you mod, you do it to be close to the gen. so it's not a matter of how you like it but how it has to be.right?

To each their own. If gen dial had less green tint than rep dial then I'd like the rep dial color more. I don't own and don't buy gen or rep watches that I don't like.

Last edited:

jb3md

Renowned Member
11/8/19
Have to agree with the concept of modding what would be a 100k watch on the grey market - I picked up the 5712 when it was a “green factory” model and the movement broke within a week - sent to Legend who fixed the movement and performed the same mods you have done. It’s a completely different watch. Well worth it IMO.

antoniothegame

Horology Curious
13/11/21
Italy
Have to agree with the concept of modding what would be a 100k watch on the grey market - I picked up the 5712 when it was a “green factory” model and the movement broke within a week - sent to Legend who fixed the movement and performed the same mods you have done. It’s a completely different watch. Well worth it IMO.

Also mod of the dial?

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

grillbrill

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
9/7/18
EU
It would be useful to see the two reps (one with stock dial and the other with color modded dial) in the same pics in various lighting conditions. A friend of mine might order such a modded 5712 in the near future so I might take such photos in ca. 3 months.

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
when you mod, you do it to be close to the gen. so it's not a matter of how you like it but how it has to be.right?

I think his point is that pretty much nobody has seen a gen, so who really knows what colour gen looks like at any given angle and lighting.
There are also more than 1 gen variants. Seeing a gen once at an airport doesn’t count and spending all day reviewing gen pics doesn’t count (can’t judge colour like that).

Therefore, if the dial colour looks right to your eyes (ie it looks pretty), then perhaps leave it at that.

Some people also like paying modders to change their watches for the sake of it, as knowing they spend an extra $500 makes them feel better about their reps. Which is fine also.

Other people don’t like the idea of a hand finished/painted dial as it might show signs of inconsistencies.

Each to their own.

grillbrill

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
9/7/18
EU
I think his point is that pretty much nobody has seen a gen, so who really knows what colour gen looks like at any given angle and lighting.
There are also more than 1 gen variants. Seeing a gen once at an airport doesn’t count and spending all day reviewing gen pics doesn’t count (can’t judge colour like that).

Therefore, if the dial colour looks right to your eyes (ie it looks pretty), then perhaps leave it at that.

Some people also like paying modders to change their watches for the sake of it, as knowing they spend an extra $500 makes them feel better about their reps. Which is fine also.

Other people don’t like the idea of a hand finished/painted dial as it might show signs of inconsistencies.

Each to their own.

+1

E.g. I miss the green hue from my blue 3KF and PPF 5711 reps that's why I ordered the Buff dial in a hope that it will contain that green tint I miss. Similarly, if someone like @Peguine finds their 5712 rep dial having too much green to their taste then re-finishing of the dial may be granted for them.

Last edited:

BlackJaguar

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/18
+1

E.g. I miss the green hue from my blue 3KF and PPF 5711 reps that's why I ordered the Buff dial in a hope that it will contain that green tint I miss. Similarly, if someone like @Peguine finds their 5712 rep dial having too much green to their taste then re-finishing of the dial may be granted for them.

+2
Please take lots of photos of the Buff Dial once you receive it. I think a lot of members are interested to see the outcome.

Otherwise, I agree with you and mech500. I for one cannot stand the PPF and 3KF blue dials. From my perspective, I see a purple/deep blue color that screams rep when I see it. To me, it doesn't have enough of the teal color that exists in the gen. I largely base my comments on what I've seen in person (I have a friend who has a Blue Dial 5711) and from what I've seen in photos. Indeed, based on the photos in the original post, I feel the Buff Dial seems to be the closest in color to the gen -- at least more than any other dial we have seen thus far.

We'll see. Hard to judge without more concrete photos.

Edit: One more thing: As it relates to the 5712, I agree with everything said about modding the watch as the user deems appropriate. I haven't seen a gen 5712, so I can't judge it. But from what I've seen in the photos, it does appear to be slightly bluer than the rep but is also a very dynamic watch so having some teal tint is likely appropriate. I would defer to Legend, as he is the master expert when it comes to such modifications. *Shout out to my brother, Legend*

Here's a great video of the 5712 that should provide users an idea of how dynamic and fluid the dial is: https://youtu.be/RxcE2t9hPOM?t=330

Last edited:
Reactions: mech500

Mark1937

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
25/3/17
+2
Please take lots of photos of the Buff Dial once you receive it. I think a lot of members are interested to see the outcome.

Otherwise, I agree with you and mech500. I for one cannot stand the PPF and 3KF blue dials. From my perspective, I see a purple/deep blue color that screams rep when I see it. To me, it doesn't have enough of the teal color that exists in the gen. I largely base my comments on what I've seen in person (I have a friend who has a Blue Dial 5711) and from what I've seen in photos. I feel the Buff Dial, based on what I've seen in the photos so far, seems to be closer in color to the gen than any dial we've seen thus far.

We'll see.

the buff dial problem could be these sunburst lines that I don't think are on the gen. the color is correct

antoniothegame

Horology Curious
13/11/21
Italy

Each to their own.

I sincerely I saw only once the gen. when it still cost 45k. September 2020. I wore it, and it was beautiful, but already difficult to take gen. it was very light, different from the rolex. just another world. if I had the chance I would only take patek.I want to spend 500$ as you say, but definitely not only for personal pleasure, but also to have a watch close to gen.it's been too long to remember what the dial was like, but it's also hard to find someone who has it, but not impossible.I also think the mods,that is on the dial or on the case, must do it who is really good.