• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Is modding your patek worth it + PPF 5712 pictorial

Peguine

Mac and Cheese sucks
18/3/19
At a mcdonalds birthday party
Hey guys,

I have recently taken delivery of a rep of my dream nautilus, the PPF 5712. As usual, I sent it straight to legend to get it done. After waiting a little bit and finally receiving it, i am blown away as usual. However, when my friends and chat groups started asking the price of the whole package some people were "amazed" at the total amount. I have been brought up as a penny pincher and thrifty person but after entering reps i'd rather spend as much as possible within my budget so i feel satisfied. Now, that's just my opinion but I want you guys to let me know what y'all think of modding and if you'll spend 100% or more of the price of the rep to get it done to your specs.

I personally need my reps to feel expensive, accuracy in visuals are definitely important, but when i wear the watch i need it to feel substantial and well finished. Honestly, the stock reps don't do it for me. Having tried on a stock PPF 5712 and now my my modded one, this is a world apart for me in terms of quality.

Now for my pictorial and opinion:

jiyfKD.jpg

Mods done:
Complete movement overhaul (AKA servicing++)
Paint cannon pinion and date pinion
Modded first links to have more articulation
Bracelet/case beveling + polishing
Crown thinning
Waterproof to 5ATM
Moonphase indicator raised as much as possible
Dial refinished to remove some of the green

As you can see, the mod list is focused not only on aesthetics but also on wearability and functionality which i feel doesn't get much attention when it comes to modding and frankening. In my opinion, the watch should encapture the feel that the gen has. You know that feeling when you handle your first luxury watch, the heft of it, the way it sparkles and for some reason, it looks amazing on the owner, I am always personally chasing that. This is one of the few watches I own that ooze quality.

The dial and crown:
In the next 5 pics, you'll see how dynamic the dial is, it's hard to explain but it's definitely gorgeous. The dial refinish really did something to make the dial pop, though I'm a cretin and can't describe it well with words lol. Crown is now more recessed.

jiySgJ.jpg

jiyGMo.jpg

jiyu0n.jpg

jiysPE.jpg

jiyMo2.jpg

The bracelet and case:

Brushing is subtle put the camera really picks it up. The refinish and beveling prevents the god awful hair pulling issue that the recent PPF and 3K bracelets have. ALSO, on mine personally, its as smooth as a vintage jubilee iykyk. The first link articulation really helps prevent the dreaded "bangle" effect where the lug to lug of the already large nautilus makes it look like a bangle on your wrist. Overall, very happy camper i am.

jiyNNY.jpg

jiy753.jpg

The movement:

Movement is temperamental at best, but the overhaul seems to have made the rotor less cranky and tbh just instills me with a little more confidence. It's still a gorgeous movement despite it being non-gen spec.

jiyF1k.jpg

To wrap it up, in my opinion, a good mod doesn't just change things drastically, it makes you feel like shit when you wear a stock rep. I personally would go for it as I need certain criteria filled to have a keeper in my collection. This is going to be with me forever, even if i get the gen. It's just too good.

P.S. Please keep it civil, this is just my opinion, feel free to roast me personally though.

Last edited:

Tobel

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/7/17
Congrats mate and beautiful work provided by Legend, as always. Wear it in good health!

BlackJaguar

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/18
That's not a rep, it's a leGENd.

Congrats on the beautiful watch, brother. Wear it in good health.

Hesekiel

Vintage Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
4/1/17
California
It's all relative. If you spend $2,8K on a Rolex Datejust that you can buy used as a GEN for $4,5K, it makes no sense. If you spend $2,8K on a PP that costs $60K new, it does make sense. So how much do you have invested now, all in?

financialaid2014

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
21/8/15
CONUS
This is stunning I recently bought an overhauled 5711 and it is worlds different than the stock ppfv4 which I owned but gave up cause of all the tells.

I am with you , I’d rather spend a bit more to get something special as I’m spending a fraction of the cost of the actual piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peguine

Mac and Cheese sucks
18/3/19
At a mcdonalds birthday party
It's all relative. If you spend $2,8K on a Rolex Datejust that you can buy used as a GEN for $4,5K, it makes no sense. If you spend $2,8K on a PP that costs $60K new, it does make sense. So how much do you have invested now, all in?

agreed, for gens NWBIG and at a very high price i think a more comprehensive mod suite or Franken job is warranted

grillbrill

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
9/7/18
EU
83ed8a55e634a4834ac037a98deb5de0.jpg

Here is my modded beauty

The chamfer of the midcase is beautifully finished. Did Dan do it? Whish the bezel was a bit narrower.

Last edited:

leo6929

I'm Pretty Popular
2/5/16
How in hell do you make the dial "less green" lol.

Anyways, congrats mate, yours looks gorgeous. I have mine since two weeks ago and haven't stopped wearing it yet. What worries me the most is the movement, but I'm hesitating to give it to my watchmaker for servicing ( I don't know if he is skillful enough) or send it over to Legend when that time comes... as It will surely be the case :)

frankenme

You're Saying I Can Sell?
23/8/10
Beautiful watch! Definitely worth it to make it feel the way you want it. I agree with you on spending on the function and the appearance. Not every one wants to spend extra on those things but it is up to the end user. Legend definitely does great work.

oldmcdonald

Horology Curious
17/6/20
Wow, this is incredible and im sure wont leave your wrist for some time to come. Wear in good health my friend!

grillbrill

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
9/7/18
EU
It’s not devoid of it, it’s just that the stock dial is a straight turquoise in some lighting which is def not gen or nice imo

I very like the color of the stock dial but I couldn't study it for a long time because I immediately forwarded my 5712 to a modder. I wish I could see the dial of your modded watch as well as of the gen in person for making some comparisons but this will most probably never happen so I don't quite care for it. ;)

Reactions: leo6929

antoniothegame

Horology Curious
13/11/21
Italy
Hey guys,

I have recently taken delivery of a rep of my dream nautilus, the PPF 5712. As usual, I sent it straight to legend to get it done. After waiting a little bit and finally receiving it, i am blown away as usual. However, when my friends and chat groups started asking the price of the whole package some people were "amazed" at the total amount. I have been brought up as a penny pincher and thrifty person but after entering reps i'd rather spend as much as possible within my budget so i feel satisfied. Now, that's just my opinion but I want you guys to let me know what y'all think of modding and if you'll spend 100% or more of the price of the rep to get it done to your specs.

I personally need my reps to feel expensive, accuracy in visuals are definitely important, but when i wear the watch i need it to feel substantial and well finished. Honestly, the stock reps don't do it for me. Having tried on a stock PPF 5712 and now my my modded one, this is a world apart for me in terms of quality.

Now for my pictorial and opinion:

jiyfKD.jpg

Mods done:
Complete movement overhaul (AKA servicing++)
Paint cannon pinion and date pinion
Modded first links to have more articulation
Bracelet/case beveling + polishing
Crown thinning
Waterproof to 5ATM
Moonphase indicator raised as much as possible
Dial refinished to remove some of the green

As you can see, the mod list is focused not only on aesthetics but also on wearability and functionality which i feel doesn't get much attention when it comes to modding and frankening. In my opinion, the watch should encapture the feel that the gen has. You know that feeling when you handle your first luxury watch, the heft of it, the way it sparkles and for some reason, it looks amazing on the owner, I am always personally chasing that. This is one of the few watches I own that ooze quality.

The dial and crown:
In the next 5 pics, you'll see how dynamic the dial is, it's hard to explain but it's definitely gorgeous. The dial refinish really did something to make the dial pop, though I'm a cretin and can't describe it well with words lol. Crown is now more recessed.

jiySgJ.jpg

jiyGMo.jpg

jiyu0n.jpg

jiysPE.jpg

jiyMo2.jpg

The bracelet and case:

Brushing is subtle put the camera really picks it up. The refinish and beveling prevents the god awful hair pulling issue that the recent PPF and 3K bracelets have. ALSO, on mine personally, its as smooth as a vintage jubilee iykyk. The first link articulation really helps prevent the dreaded "bangle" effect where the lug to lug of the already large nautilus makes it look like a bangle on your wrist. Overall, very happy camper i am.

jiyNNY.jpg

jiy753.jpg

The movement:

Movement is temperamental at best, but the overhaul seems to have made the rotor less cranky and tbh just instills me with a little more confidence. It's still a gorgeous movement despite it being non-gen spec.

jiyF1k.jpg

To wrap it up, in my opinion, a good mod doesn't just change things drastically, it makes you feel like shit when you wear a stock rep. I personally would go for it as I need certain criteria filled to have a keeper in my collection. This is going to be with me forever, even if i get the gen. It's just too good.

P.S. Please keep it civil, this is just my opinion, feel free to roast me personally though.

Im builinding a similar franken with PP0412 - Nautilus Moon Phase 5712 SS/SS Blue PPF Mod 240
the mods that i will do are

Recess crown
Bevel markers
Bevel hands
Fix the moon phase
Flexible endlink

After all i will close the caseback, and i will do pvd
treatment.

what is the modification on the dial? can you help me