• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My 5711 just died and self destructed...

Xtra-Crispy

You're Saying I Can Sell?
13/6/21
So my first "high-end" replica just crapped out on me -- only lasted about 2 1/2 months.

I purchased the PP 5711 3KF V2 from TrustyTime back in June and received it in July. This morning, I went to put it on and it had stopped running. Gave it several winds and nothing, Gave it a couple of shakes to see if that would get it going and one of the stick markers at 1:00 fell off and is now floating around under the crystal - watch is dead.

I fully understand the risks involved in purchasing replica watches but I foolishly assumed that having paid over $500 (watch, shipping & currency conversion) was getting me a higher quality watch that would last at least a year or two. I've gotten the same results like this with replicas purchased for less than $150.

Oh well - live and learn. I'm certainly now blaming TrustyTime or Andrew. He was nothing but helpful through the whole purchasing process.

Hesekiel

Vintage Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
4/1/17
California
If your lifestyle allows you to wear a Patek Phillippe, you certainly can afford a service. Any modder should be able to re-attach the marker, and I doubt that the movement just imploded, so a watchmaker who works on replicas may be able to repair it for relatively little money.

Reactions: kavorca1

Xtra-Crispy

13/6/21
you're blaming the TD for a watch that you have used (I have no idea how vigorous) for

yeah, good luck. I would find any TD or seller would be helpful with that.

I’m not “blaming” anyone and I’m not looking for a refund or free repair! Not sure where you got that from???

I’m just saying I’m disappointed in the quality of the watch I received for the money I paid.

This was my only replica watch and I wore it maybe once per week in my rotations. The watch did not get banged around or dropped and was handled just like my gens that I’ve had for years.

Xtra-Crispy

13/6/21
If your lifestyle allows you to wear a Patek Phillippe, you certainly can afford a service. Any modder should be able to re-attach the marker, and I doubt that the movement just imploded, so a watchmaker who works on replicas may be able to repair it for relatively little money.

At this point I’m going to stick with gens. I went with a replica 5711 with blue dial as they are now discountinued. I can’t see paying $100K for a $35K MSRP watch even though it’s discountiued.

Also - that is a typo in my original post. It should say “I’m NOT blaming TrustyTime.”

Last edited:

grillbrill

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
9/7/18
EU
I’m not “blaming” anyone and I’m not looking for a refund or free repair! Not sure where you got that from???

I’m just saying I’m disappointed in the quality of the watch I received for the money I paid.

This was my only replica watch and I wore it maybe once per week in my rotations. The watch did not get banged around or dropped and was handled just like my gens that I’ve had for years.

TrustyTime offer 6 months warranty for movements. Have you discussed the service possibilities with them?

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
Have a RWI approved watchmaker repair it for you. Hopefully there won't be any need for parts as they might be hard to obtain. You can also consider selling it as is if you're going to stick with gens. Best of luck.

Reactions: kavorca1

Xtra-Crispy

13/6/21
Have a RWI approved watchmaker repair it for you. Hopefully there won't be any need for parts as they might be hard to obtain. You can also consider selling it as is if you're going to stick with gens. Best of luck.

Thanks for the advice. Maybe I can sell it ‘as-is’. I’ll have to see if my account is qualified to sell here.

philwongnz

I'm Pretty Popular
27/1/14
It costs around 120-150 USD to service a watch. Even you own gens you need to service them too. Unfortunately a lot of reps were assembled on poor conditions or bad QCs, is part of the cost I'm afraid. Also you have purchased a cloned movement, if it was a miyota it might be cheaper to simply replace the movement and probably more reliable, as I own one for almost 3 years and still going strong..

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

tinitonsi

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
21/3/14
At this point I’m going to stick with gens. I went with a replica 5711 with blue dial as they are now discountinued. I can’t see paying $100K for a $35K MSRP watch even though it’s discountiued.

Also - that is a typo in my original post. It should say “I’m NOT blaming TrustyTime.”

If this happened to one of your gens, would you stop buying them? Because I can assure you that this issue happens to gen as well

Xtra-Crispy

13/6/21
If this happened to one of your gens, would you stop buying them? Because I can assure you that this issue happens to gen as well

You’re right but if my new Rolex stopped working after a couple of months, it would be fully covered under warranty with no out of pocket for me. I’m not opposed to getting this PP rep fixed but let’s be real - as we all know, this was made in a factory with very poor quality control (if any). My concern is, if I pay to get this problem fixed, how much longer with at else may go wrong? Obviously, there’s no way to know.

I’m really unsure what to do at this point.

I do appreciate everyone’s input on this.

frankenme

23/8/10
Part of the game but having a trusted rwi watchsmith service it would be best if you don't want to have a useless watch. Seems like most experienced members have their watches serviced on arrival. I have not serviced any of my watches and they are running fine even ones 10 years old. I have begun looking to service some of my more expensive ones in the near future.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Hesekiel

Vintage Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
4/1/17
California
Not watch related, but I'm a huge fan of exotic sports cars. Every time one of my Ferraris or Lamborghinis has an issue. I kick in the door and send it to the bone yard.
But be assured, I feel 'ya. It's always a close call weather I spend $500 on a replica or $50,000 on a gen.

Last edited:

Xtra-Crispy

13/6/21
Oh I see. Apologies to OP!

YES, definitely get it looked at by approved watchmaker advertise here. It'll be better than new!

No problem - my typo mistake. I’m going to reach out to Katt I found in the Watchmakers section to see if he can help me out.

Reactions: AlphaProt

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
No problem - my typo mistake. I’m going to reach out to Katt I found in the Watchmakers section to see if he can help me out.
Good idea. Keep us posted as many members here are curious about the reliability of the clone 324 SC movement. All the best.

philwongnz

I'm Pretty Popular
27/1/14
You’re right but if my new Rolex stopped working after a couple of months, it would be fully covered under warranty with no out of pocket for me. I’m not opposed to getting this PP rep fixed but let’s be real - as we all know, this was made in a factory with very poor quality control (if any). My concern is, if I pay to get this problem fixed, how much longer with at else may go wrong? Obviously, there’s no way to know.

I’m really unsure what to do at this point.

I do appreciate everyone’s input on this.
Well my watchsmith kinda guarantees his work, obviously within a reasonable amount of time.

Like I've said before, this movement is a clone is not exactly what we called a "work horse", ironically even gen Patek has issues. My friend used to work for a dealership and the only reason why a lot of Patek didn't get flagged by its reliability is because most owners don't wear them everyday as they rotate their collection. To my surprise he had a few returns to get them fixed due to their unreliability.

My advice is find a reputable rep friendly watchsmith here and get it looked at. Or simply sell it and buy models which has a more reliable movement to end your concerns.

Xtra-Crispy

13/6/21
Good idea. Keep us posted as many members here are curious about the reliability of the clone 324 SC movement. All the best.

I just contacted Katt but unfortunately, he said he doesn’t have parts for the 324 movement, Can anyone suggest a U.S based watchmaker who might be able to service my watch?

Xtra-Crispy

13/6/21
Well my watchsmith kinda guarantees his work, obviously within a reasonable amount of time.

Like I've said before, this movement is a clone is not exactly what we called a "work horse", ironically even gen Patek has issues. My friend used to work for a dealership and the only reason why a lot of Patek didn't get flagged by its reliability is because most owners don't wear them everyday as they rotate their collection. To my surprise he had a few returns to get them fixed due to their unreliability.

My advice is find a reputable rep friendly watchsmith here and get it looked at. Or simply sell it and buy models which has a more reliable movement to end your concerns.

Thanks for your advice. I’m still deciding what to do. If I were to buy another 5711 rep, which one / movement do you recommend I go with?