• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Something about PANERAI movements.

KOT1917

Put Some Respect On My Name
26/7/19
Russian federation
Thank you for appreciating my work, andy_fin !

I will make all the clarifications, I saw a video where the gen P.9000 works without seconds reset, not like the P.9001, P.9002 and even the P.9003 do, not to mention the models based on the P.2002. In general, this is a distinctive feature of PANERAI, which is not often done by other watch manufacturers.

I will clarify, perhaps there were some years of production in which the P.9000 had this function, and then it was gone, but on most models of different years, about which I managed to fix, since your publication - there are no seconds reset on the P.9000 .
If this function was not always present, panerai does not provide information about it. But I will find out if there were such p.9000 and when, but for now I will edit and remove provocative information that can be misleading.

Also, I want to point out that one look at a P.9000 clone is enough to tell if it's a GEN or a REP, whether it's the winding rotor mounting, bevelling, or balance wheel adjustment.
In any case, it's not something that is "indistinguishable". But I agree, I remember a time when I could not distinguish any clone from gen. But this is not what one should be equal to in the art of reps.

Last edited:

andy_fin

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
4/3/21
Europa
KOT1917 Now that you mention it, I saw in some news that they made some changes on P9010 in 2020 where they removed hacking from the movement and changed it's appearance. So you are probably right about different variants of P9000 existing out there and you seem to know so much about the movements. I guess I saw the lack of seconds reset and thought it was a mistake.
That is just a tiny detail though - I read your entire post here and it is incredible how much work went into it and how helpful it was to me when selecting what to get for my collection.

You're wesome!

Reactions: KOT1917

p0kiri

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
3/11/21
I'd start here if you are a PAM boy.. (Pamela Anderson fans r welcome).. :p
quick question: i read somewhere or watched something (youtube i guess) where they speak that Panerai have completely stopped making in-house movements and everything is borrowed esp from ETA ones and also stopped using major jewels. This has made reps more closer to the gens and buying gens is worthless at this point now.

KOT1917

Put Some Respect On My Name
26/7/19
Russian federation
Short answer: no, it's not.

There is currently no rep being produced that has an ETA clone used in GEN.
Also, today you can buy, for example, PAM00670 with in-house movt., not ETA, for which there is no REP, and will not be.
There are many examples, this is one.

Reactions: p0kiri

p0kiri

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
3/11/21
Short answer: no, it's not.

There is currently no rep being produced that has an ETA clone used in GEN.
Also, today you can buy, for example, PAM00670 with in-house movt., not ETA, for which there is no REP, and will not be.
There are many examples, this is one.

all due to the Eqn of time complication. i wish we had a smaller dial for that!
what are the chances- me bulking up or Panerai making a smaller dial???

Titouno

You're Saying I Can Sell?
21/8/22
@KOT1917 amazing info on Pans.
I am a massive Pan boy, but new to rep world and I am looking to get a Pan, but unsure one which model and factory i should go with to have less tell on being a rep and a reliable movement?

Thank you in advance 🙏🏼

Turbonesses

Horology Curious
25/7/22
UK
Been a big Panerai fan last 20 years, and this is the most informative thread I’ve ever read! Thanks for the write up!

Reactions: KOT1917

Tim4682

Supporter
Certified
27/10/13
NC, USA
Amazing Thread @KOT1917...very much appreciate you putting this together.

I had a question on the ST19. You commented " In which the use of a chronograph, of course, slightly increases the risk of breakage (hard buttons and soft levers), but does not accelerate wear of the working parts by its work. You can use it fully."

Shall I take this to assume using the chronograph still carries some marginal risk of breakage, but far far less than the A7750? It is well documented that the A7750s are time bombs in regards to using the chronographs, just curious how the ST19 compares. Seems from the above that one could theoretically use the ST19 chronograph at will with only minimal additional risk to the movement vs SIGNIFICANT risk in the case of the A7750.

I rarely, if ever, find the need/desire to use a chronograph during day to day wear and I wouldnt go out and start using it (even if it isnt risky), more just curious.

Thank You - Tim

onsight

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Supporter
Certified
30/9/23
That's an astounding amount of information. Thank you for taking the time to share all of that.