• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

A little about PAM968

KOT1917

Put Some Respect On My Name
26/7/19
Russian federation

Hello again, to all connoisseurs of PANERAI!

Speaking of your favorite reps from last year, as planned from the main post (https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/panerai/9692510-something-about-all-reps-panerai-2020) couldn't help but touch this model.
It's not that easy, because, firstly, it is one of the few that has a comparison with gen
(https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/panerai/9127826-pam968-gen-vs-rep-mini-review) special thanks to wmux2000 !

This is the most objective information and I am glad that for this not the cheapest and widespread model it is on our forum.

Secondly, this model has already been sufficiently studied, and all of its shortcomings, both completely factual and obvious, and not the most obvious, are mostly well known.
Thirdly, this is bronze, and it is really very beautiful, and there are no alternative versions, or factories for this rep, because whatever it is, it is popular and loved by the majority.

However, this is an important release in my opinion, and despite the fact that there is a comparison thread, there is a release thread, I am sure that a concentrate of all conclusions will also appear in the updated PAM GUIDE, I decided to write a post with an overview to summarize the collected information, some good photos in my opinion, visualizing the disadvantages and advantages, albeit more superficial than in some other cases.

Also, considering the novelties of the current year gen panerai (https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/panerai/9775676-new-gen-releases-2021)
in which a new pam1074 made of bronze is presented but in a 42mm case, and also considering that while in the vote (https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/panerai/9866403-wishlist-panerai-reps-2021) optional new rep releases, this model is in the lead (Interestingly, despite the fact that here: https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/panerai/9836461-best-panerai-diameter not a single person voted for 42mm) , which says, in my opinion, that the main thing is not the diameter, not the color, but simply that it should be bronze, and there is never enough of it, which means that my post will not be superfluous.

By tradition, we will start with the specifics of gen, in order to update the story a little according to the situation with this model, without delving a thousand times the stories about bronze at panerai and the material for watches in general are told.

Since 2011 (N series), panerai has produced 47mm submersibles in bronze, PAM507 (with PR), PAM671 (With blue dial and new P.9010), and apart from PAM907 (1/1), it has done so in a number of 1000 pieces, each time stating that it was the last one.
In 2019, the PAM968 was announced, which clearly had a beautiful color scheme and a ceramic insert of the bezel, like the PAM389 in the color of the dial, and there was no information about the quantity for a long time.
In the end, it became a typical limited edition, and they were sold in 2019, 2020 and are being sold now.
In fact, we have a V series of 1000 pieces, but also a W series of 1,500 pieces.
This year, with the release of the new PAM1074 in a 42mm case, and the announced annual production immediately, there was information about the termination of the production of PAM968, and most likely, we will not see the X series on the caseback of this model.

Anyway, this is the most common bronze so far, and in today's chrono24 search, I found 3 PAM382s, 7 PAM507s, 13 PAM671s and 9 PAM1074s for a total of 32 bronze PAMs from 4 models, and yet ... 55 pieces (!!!) pam968 for sale.

In addition to these 6 models, one of which was not for sale (PAM907), in 2021 we will receive a PAM1244 with bronze elements in a case, as well as rumors about a PAM760 in a bronze 47mm Radiomir with a green dial and blue hands in a 47mm completely bronze case, and rumors , on a 44mm submersible with a blue dial that would fit between the PAM671 and PAM1074 in size.

In any case, it is worth concluding that this is a unique and expensive model that clearly needed to be replicated.

This happened, and in April 2020, information about the imminent release of VSF appeared (https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/panerai/8765808-pam968-vsf), in the subject of which, in addition to expectations, there is a rather rich discussion, answering most of the questions about this model.

Now we will analyze this model in detail, and see what the factory was able to give us, what it did not, what it did qualitatively, and what it didn’t finalize.

This is not the first bronze rep we already have. The rep industry has already shown its evolution, starting with a ton of pam382 variants, again, starting from steel pvd toys, through all versions of ZF, V6F, SF to the latest and best VSF, not the most successful pam507, which again decided to sell trusty, 3 main variants of ZF and XF pam671, already in a new case with an attempt to simulate p.9010.
Therefore, seeing all the options for shortcomings, improvements, we have an understanding of what we would like to see from the pam968 VSF.

The specificity of this model, first of all, is the chocolate-colored ceramic insert on the bezel and the dial of the same color.
Otherwise, most of the details, with the exception of some specifics, and colors, we have already seen in certain models.
Case, markers and hands and maxi-size layout from pam671, insert pam389 and more ...

However, here you need to understand that most of the solutions suitable for this model were implemented by the XF factory, which, although it is a division of VSF, but, perhaps, over the course of time, a large number of their developments have remained in the past, and as we can see on the examples of many models (for example pam692).

One way or another, let's see what we have here.

Here are some overview photos for general understanding:
As we can see, this is all very similar if we consider the watch as a whole.

However, there are many songs of praise for this model in the upbringing, so I will concentrate on the shortcomings of one degree or another.
The task, of course, is not to humiliate these wonderful hours, but to show what is wrong, or rather to say everything that can be seen from the previous topics and show it in a lot of good photos.

Main disadvantages:
- Clone p.9000, instead of p.9010, which affects the appearance, because the caseback is transparent, and also indirectly on the thickness.

This is probably the main factual problem.
This cannot be called a "bug", I'm sure VSF knows everything, but as mentioned above, now VSF does not have P.9010 and its derivatives movts.
The good news is that the functions p.9000 and p.9010 are the same.
It is also good that the rotor has the same design.
In general, the bridge that we can see under it is also similar.
By the way, all the labels correspond exactly to p.9010.
But the position of the balance wheel is different, not 7 @, but 11 @ for gen, and the balance wheel bridge is not with one support, but with two.
In general, the design is also different.
I’m ready to say that in general it looks organic, and movt. Is good in itself, but still different.
I am sure that the level of competence of anyone, even a person who is keen on watches, but who knows only the basics about panerai, may not be enough to say what should be under the transparent caseback of this model, but I must admit, this is a problem, and quite serious, which VSF deliberately committed, and not only here, but in the mass of other models.

- The case is slightly thicker than gen, and as a result, the proportions are slightly out of order, which is very difficult to notice without a parallel comparison with the correct viewing angle.

At the same time, I want to note that the material itself is beautiful, and judging by the color, finish, dynamics of patina formation, it is no worse than pam382, and the shape is fully consistent, for example, pam692 VSF, which is really as good as possible, given the more thick movt, about any flaws or mistakes, as it was, for example, in the case of the pam671 ZF, there is no question here.
Personally, I am very pleased.
Yes, the shape of the protrusions and the position of the screws are also quite correct.
In any case, there are enough photos of the most correct angles in order to evaluate it yourself.

- The dial and ceramic insert are noticeably lighter in tone, which is noticeable in comparison, and in bright sunlight, which generally makes a lot more noticeable.

At the same time, given how complex any brown panerai dial is, one must have experience and be seriously well acquainted with this watch to understand it without parallel comparison. The fact is that the color is quite lively, and the more light falls on it, the lighter it is, but at the same time it is brighter. To feel that under this kind of lighting, it should be darker / lighter, you need to see gen very often and a lot, i.e., you can create lighting conditions in which gen and rep on two different photos will have the same tonality.
In general, everything is relative as always, but the VSFs did not match the color.

- The stripes on the bezel are thinner and paler, although the brightness can be corrected not with the most difficult modifications, and the thickness of the slots is generally not the ideal side of the rep panerai, but considering how it was done, for example, on the PAM692 from VSF, I think we have the right to demand more ...

- Lume, instead of a golden honey color, is too noticeably green, and the most obvious place is a pearl.
Also, gen is clearly more glossy and convex, which is certainly bad, but not critical, because the same recognized PAM508, PAM671 or PAM569 also have this, but we are ready to classify this imperfection as minor.

- The dial font is thicker and more saturated in color, which matches most VSF models, and in this case, it is simply emphasized more due to the lighter dial.

- The shade of gold on the hands and rings of the dial markers is not quite correct and is more pink, which does not make it as compatible with the color of the case as we can see in gen.
- The date font is also more pink than yellowish-gold, and the standard font is clearly used, as we can see, for example, on the PAM312 from the same VSF.
- The round bezel on the insert is a typical feature of most VSF bezels, they do not have sufficient chamfers and gaps from the edges of the holes in the bezel, although the same typical problems with height are not obvious here.
Nothing special, as well as scary. Yes, it's not perfect, but
quite acceptable for rep, although there are examples of more accurate execution.

- The lower chamfer of the bezel itself at the base is clearly narrower.

- The crystal has a fish-eye effect, which gen panerai has not had for a long time, and which is pretty boring, judging by the comments to each new model.
- Backcase, traditionally for VSF, is 1mm larger, and a standard opening key does not fit it.
However, I do not see this as a big problem, I think not many people use the gen service key and most people use a rubber ball, or I, for example, generally have a washing machine stand with a round rubber base lol.
In any case, if, as the "conspiracy theorists" say, factories deliberately lay down deliberate flaws so that gen brands do not get angry in a serious way, I would consider this move the lesser of evils.
At the same time, I want to note that the backcase (judging by the color, I did not weigh it), titanium and all engravings are in order.

That is, in general, and all that could be said about the inconsistencies.
Here you need to understand that, as always, there are quite serious flaws, like lume, hands, dial color, there are inevitable problems, such as movt., Which can be solved, but difficult, or not cost-effective, and the problems are almost absurd, like a fish eye ...
Much of what is now can be solved, and this will raise this rep higher, but it will not fundamentally change the situation.

Also, I must admit, this is an example of a model that is loved "in spite of", and not "because", especially since for lovers of exact match, there is still pam382.

At the same time, I repeat that yes, most of the flaws are revealed only in comparison, but everything in the world of reps is learned in it. And yes, when you look at the photo below, you will understand that this is a damn beautiful watch that you need to buy, and if you already have it, then proudly take it out of the box and remind yourself of a successful purchase.
But also, you need to understand that all these shades and forms resonate with each other, and when in the gen / rep review they lie side by side, not even knowing which one is who, it becomes obvious only because the elements of one clock are in harmony with each other. with a friend, more than the second.
Or someone who has several bronzes of different models and factories always has a chance to put them next to each other and see with the naked eye how they differ in everything, even in those elements that seem to be nuanced, such as CG, or hands.

Anyway, we have what we have, and here are some eye candy to make sure that what we have in common is quite applicable.

Thanks to everyone who read it! I have tried to be brief, due to the low relevance of the review, and to give a break from my large texts.
And of course, thank you very much dadog13 for another volume of high-quality photos and answers to questions, for visualization and opinion formation!
I also apologize to those whose gen photos were stolen at some point from FB or IG I used.

All with May holidays, PEACE, LABOR, MAY! Lol, and hope for a coming summer!

KOT.

Woundup

YNWA
Patron
Certified
9/12/18
Even with the flaws, its still a great looking / wearing watch. Love mine. Thanks for the write up!

Reactions: KOT1917

jonnybaws

I'm Pretty Popular
30/5/14
For once, one of your threads won't cost me money I have the 968 already... I agree, its a great watch, one of my favourites! and despite it's colour a bit of a strap monster, had it Green, Orange, Black, White Rubber, various leather straps and it works on all.. you really can't go wrong with this watch and I'd highly recommend getting one!

KOT1917

26/7/19
Russian federation
Thank you PAM_BOY , thanks for paying attention!

Thank to you, too wmux2000 for your comparison, again, you have provided a basis for judging this wonderful rep!

Yes, Woundup , I mentioned this, everyone loves this watch, because it is beautiful, I did not want to spoil the impression, I just added a little objectivity, if no one minds.:)

Agree on the straps jonnybaws , i saw your combos and they are all very good! You seem to have invested a lot in popularizing this model with your photos when you received it!

Reactions: jonnybaws

mrsullivan

Replicaddict
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
18/8/19
EU
Once again great article, great inputs and pictures. Perfect to feed my Pam addiction ;)

Envoyé de mon ELE-L29 en utilisant Tapatalk

PAM_BOY

Legendary Member
6/5/19
Germany
26er BRONZO buckle (pilota mezzi d'assalto di superficie)
ZGdHTS.jpg
ZGdKbQ.jpg

Last edited:

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/12/15
This was a very interesting and academic compendium. You are a value add to this sub forum S ! Some very nice pictures as well. Sexy straps too.

Plaasbaas

IWC-hoarder and PAM-hunter
Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany
KOT1917 I've never purchased anything but stainless steel so far, but after reading this I'm strongly tempted to go for a bronzo. Thank you for that! Also I need that case opener of yours myself: "...washing machine stand with round rubber base" :) classic

Wolex

7/2/20
Great post! Thank you for sharing this information. The watches and straps looks MADDD! Very nice. :D

KOT1917

26/7/19
Russian federation
Thanks a lot johnlogan for the kind words! Glad to try for those who are interested in this!

I'm glad that I could interest you, Plaasbaas ! For panerai bronze, VSF currently has two options; PAM382 and this PAM968. Both are good in their own way. And yes, of course, this amazing device luckily comes in a pack of 4, so I have a small supply :laugh:

Thanks Wolex ! All compliments on the looks of the watch and straps, for dadog13 !

Wolex

7/2/20
Where can I buy those buckles if I may ask? They look so good with the bronzo watches.. the original came silver which is a bit disappointing on Panerai's part imo... don't know why they didn't use a bronze buckle