• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Homage PreV 1993 5218-201A Logo Watch

fan_pam

Known Member
25/4/20
I present you today my new PreV build 1993 5218 - 201a Logo Watch

Genuine 201a:

Details about the build and parts:

CASE:
I used Noob PAM 111 case. I honestly don’t know what version of the case is. I did not do any reshaping at all, I just kept it as it is. Maybe later on, I might get some courage to start reshaping this case, but for now, it stays like this.

DIAL:
Exceptional non-matching dial. Its one layer dial, but it came with custom brass plate with 6497 dial feet.

HANDS:
PreV black hands with white lume from helenarou website.

MOVEMENT:
Its genuine, hammered bridge finish Swiss Unitas 6497. Movement came from old pocket watch and it was dry, oil was gone, so it needed it little work. Movement was disassembled, cleaned, oiled, and assembled back together.

When it comes about overall look about this 6497, I wish I could find someone who could do the “Cotes de Geneve” stripes for me, but, honestly, this hammered style finish really grown on me and as I am thinking more and more about it, it gives a watch/movement more character, in my honest opinion.

Movement came in with stock “silver-ish” balance wheel, so I replaced it with Glucydur style wheel, and I laser engraved “ADJUSTED FOUR POSITIONS. 3126” on the train gear bridge to look more “genuine”.

Guenat Cal. 3126 Unitas 6497:

Final result on my 6497:

CASEBACK:
Caseback is display stock from Noob PAM111 for now, until I find the solid one with 201a engravings, or I will have to find sterile caseback where I would laser engrave all 201a details. If anyone has this kind of caseback (w/engravings or sterile) please let me know.

STRAP:
This strap came with Pam111 watch. I am not a fan of this strap that much, so I already ordered a black PreV strap from Maniffature Serioso. I will update this post with new strap and pictures.
I am also planning to order brown shark skin version like the one on Sly’s watch that was recently auctioned off.

Here are more pictures:

Thank you for looking and on to the next project.
Cheers!

KOT1917

Put Some Respect On My Name
26/7/19
Russian federation
Thanks for sharing!

Tell me where this dial comes from?
I also wanted to clarify where you made such an engraving, and how expensive it might cost?
By the way, what kind of gold plating did you put on the engraving?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

fan_pam

Known Member
25/4/20
Thanks for sharing!

Tell me where this dial comes from?
I also wanted to clarify where you made such an engraving, and how expensive it might cost?
By the way, what kind of gold plating did you put on the engraving?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

This dial came from Homage Forum member, Belkin12..

I used Adobe Ilustrator to make those engravings. I took a picture of the movement, upload it into AI and then took layer over the picture to type the lettering. I honestly don’t remember what font I used but it took me awhile to find it.
After that I took it to jewerly store that have laser engraver and they did rest. It cost me around $30, I think.

Gold plating is as is. I did not do anything to it. I guess, when laser started engraving (did it 2x to make little deeper), it exposed the yellow color of the train bridge.

I hope this helps. :)

Reactions: @(^_^)@ and KOT1917

KOT1917

26/7/19
Russian federation
Yes, comprehensive! Thank you so much!

Yes, I recently saw its dials for sale on this forum, but did not look closely.
I like the serif font, it seems very good.
Just recently saw a good photo of gen (different text but same font) :
At the expense of engraving, I understood that everything ingenious is simple.:) The bridges are brass, and the laser cut off the nickel plating, which resulted in a quite suitable effect. It seems that the second inscription can also be deepened, perhaps just mechanically.

Good luck with the further development of this project! You are doing well and on a very budgetary basis! Happy for you!

Reactions: johnlogan

fan_pam

Known Member
25/4/20
Yes, comprehensive! Thank you so much!

Yes, I recently saw its dials for sale on this forum, but did not look closely.
I like the serif font, it seems very good.
Just recently saw a good photo of gen (different text but same font) :
At the expense of engraving, I understood that everything ingenious is simple.:) The bridges are brass, and the laser cut off the nickel plating, which resulted in a quite suitable effect. It seems that the second inscription can also be deepened, perhaps just mechanically.

Good luck with the further development of this project! You are doing well and on a very budgetary basis! Happy for you!

Thanks mate!

Things that needs to be done on this watch are:

- New strap (already ordered)
- Solid caseback with 201a engravings, OR sterile one (I can do the rest).
I heard that Jacob casebacks are the top notch, so if anyone has one that would part ways with it let me know.
- And, maybe fatty CG (I emailed DSN about 10 days ago regarding CG, but no reply).

5218-203a is next on my list to be built. :)

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
You're doing a good job considering what's currently available.
Imho the most important improvements would be
1. drill the lug holes, Pre-V watches had screws on both sides and used specific strap bars.
2. Change the CG to a non-roller lever one. DSN never had the fatty CG but if he still has his pre-v CG that would be very good
3. Caseback. I have seen kp0y on HF was selling engraved Pre-V casebacks. If you cant find Jacob's that could be an alternative
4. Hands are too white, have them relumed in light yellow (lighter color than dial indices).

Reactions: KOT1917

fan_pam

Known Member
25/4/20
You're doing a good job considering what's currently available.
Imho the most important improvements would be
1. drill the lug holes, Pre-V watches had screws on both sides and used specific strap bars.
2. Change the CG to a non-roller lever one. DSN never had the fatty CG but if he still has his pre-v CG that would be very good
3. Caseback. I have seen kp0y on HF was selling engraved Pre-V casebacks. If you cant find Jacob's that could be an alternative
4. Hands are too white, have them relumed in light yellow (lighter color than dial indices).

Hi kilowattore,

I know about lug holes but I haven’t found someone who would drill it for me. That would, in some distant future, be a little project. For now, i just want to enjoy it a little. :)

When it comes CGs, I contacted DSN about 10 days ago but no reply back. If you know where to source specific CG (let’s say, non-roller one), please let me know.

I have been searching for caseback (sterile or engraved) for a while now. Posted on HF WTB but no success. Someone mentioned kp0y, and I sent him a message about acquiring 2 sterile caseback for 2 projects but no reply either.

Speaking of hands, I saw these 2 pictures online and immediately wanted to make this configuration on my 201a. I just like for hands to stand out more from the color of indices. . Just my preference.

c162a0fee50c705b04176c57696b9d8c.jpg

6ca126c90fb7943fd4215cae41ae2778.jpg

But thank you very much for your help regarding improvements. I wish I have some luck with CG and caseback but I am helpless for now. :)

If you have any idea, from top of your head, who might have these parts, let me know.

Reactions: JayBee0815

KOT1917

26/7/19
Russian federation
All the main things have already been said above, from myself I will add only that literally last month I receivedsome details from DSN, among which , PRE-V screw rods from DSN, and steel CG without a roller according to its 201A standard.

Not the best photos, but what is on the phone now:
(of course I mean the one that is satin)

fan_pam

Known Member
25/4/20
All the main things have already been said above, from myself I will add only that literally last month I receivedsome details from DSN, among which , PRE-V screw rods from DSN, and steel CG without a roller according to its 201A standard.

Not the best photos, but what is on the phone now:
(of course I mean the one that is satin)

Thank you for the pictures and information. I really appreciate it.. :)

I wish I can find one like the satin CG on your picture. :)

Reactions: KOT1917

Earloflondon

Horology Curious
11/7/17
Thanks mate!

Things that needs to be done on this watch are:

- New strap (already ordered)
- Solid caseback with 201a engravings, OR sterile one (I can do the rest).
I heard that Jacob casebacks are the top notch, so if anyone has one that would part ways with it let me know.
- And, maybe fatty CG (I emailed DSN about 10 days ago regarding CG, but no reply).

5218-203a is next on my list to be built. :)
Ask for the solid caseback to Kp0y from HF. I reckon he can make some for you

Sent from my SM-M205F using Tapatalk

Earloflondon

Horology Curious
11/7/17
I think DSN is clearing his stock and retiring for some time now... so chance to get that CG is sadly minimal.

KOT1917

Earloflondon
Davidsen had already retired I guess. You're right a fat CG is not an option from him. But, Getat has fat CGs if one can cater them easily from him.

Earloflondon

Horology Curious
11/7/17
Getats have roller ball lever so are not correct
You are right about the roller levers, but they can be replaced though it's not easy to find one. I had my spares on aliexpress at a private sale. About 6 had cost me something like 50 bucks. Still the body of the Getat CGs are the fattest ones that can be found nowadays I suppose. I don't have much information about other manufacturers' products though.