• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

A little about PAM024

KOT1917

Put Some Respect On My Name
26/7/19
Russian federation
Hello readers of the PANERAI section.

I like, from time to time, to write a lot of words on any occasion, and in fact the plans were slightly different, but in view of the recent discussion regarding the pam024 A series, I decided to remember what PAM024 is, what it can be, and what is similar.

Well, let's start with a little general excursion.

In the submersible collection, in addition to all the usual 47mm and 42mm widespread recently, and even the exotic 60mm Egi, there is also a 44mm.
There are not many of these models.
They can have a luminir 1950 case at the base like PAM243 (have excellent reps from HF and NOOB), or new items this year in a new shape gold case (no reps yet), or a classic luminor bettarini, which can be 1000m like everyone's favorite PAM064 (Rep from HF), or PAM087 (Similarly, rep from HF factory), anti-magnetic PAM092, PAM186, PAM252 (All 3 have reps from old n / n factories, and cheap versions from seagull), or the usual ones, to which it belongs PAM024.

The latter group includes significantly more models than we are used to discussing, at least they are.

Steel:
PAM024
We will talk about them further, so I will not spread much at this stage, photos of an arbitrary series, but the same for gen and rep ( R ).

Photo gen:
Photo rep:

PAM199
A limited edition model that is timed to coincide with the 2004 Laureus regatta, familiar to anyone who has delved into old bad reps a lot, because this caseback can be found on almost any cheap automatic rep of certain years lol.
In fact, it is a rare limited edition of 500 pieces in a 6561 case and has a T dial like the pam024 of that year, but with a unique dial that you won't find anywhere else.

Rep is made a very long time ago, at the moment it is a very rare find, and its presence in the collection is a sign of an old fan of the rep industry, or just a lucky buyer.
It has a number of drawbacks, but according to many experienced builders, it has the most accurate case, as the main one for building individual projects for pam024.
Photo gen:

Photo rep:

PAM239
One of 20+ gen destros, 3 subs and only one for the 44mm model.
The only model in the OP6667 case, which I already mentioned in the post about destro panerai.
Perhaps one of the rarest models in the 024 type, and oddly enough, it has a very old rep. By the way, if you have one, you can send me PM, LOL.
Photo gen:

Photo rep:

PAM664
A rather rare limited model of the R series of 50 pieces, which was supposed to be sold only with the presentation of a military identity card according to RP, now costs several times more, although in fact it differs little from the standard PAM024, having a 6771 case corresponding to the M - S series of the obsolete pam024 and shares with him all the details besides the engraving CB.
Unfortunately, it does not have a rep, although it makes sense, nevertheless it was for pam961, so it will be possible to do it for this model as well.

Photo gen:

PAM731
The only modification pam024 (or rather, even PAM1024, because it already has a modified OP.XXX caliber and case 6771), with a blue dial, which I mentioned in my post about blue panerai dials, was released in a limit of 100 pieces, and is available for purchase exclusively online.
As I said before, there is no rep, but factories should try the cost in that sweet future when they start using the A7750 again in their rep pams.

Photo gen:

PAM1024
Since 2017, pam024 has received a receiver in the form of pam1024, it will hardly be possible to distinguish them from the front with the last series of pam024, but more on that later.
Rep is not present at the moment, but specifically for this model, perhaps it is not necessary so much.

Photo gen:

Titanium:
PAM025
Probably one of the most attractive models in this type of case. A unique combination of a fully titanium case with a guilloche on the dial, which of all the submersibles can only be found on pam569.
This is a very beautiful watch, in my opinion, especially with a T dial, which were also produced for many years and with various modifications, but in smaller editions.

DSN has made the A and D series of this model, which differ in a number of detail improvements.
This rep has its drawbacks, such as CP, protruding bezel rounds that stick out too high, a "wet" dial, not quite a correct case profile, but at the same time, it is an incredibly beautiful and thoughtful watch that does not have factual errors, for which in subsequent years it will not not a single factory took over.
If there is a chance, get it, period.

Photo gen:

Photo rep:

Combined steel / titanium:
PAM106
A fairly rare piece in a 6566 case, with a combined bracelet and a satin-brushed bezel, which is beautifully complemented by a vertical satin-brushed gray dial in the style of the more famous pam089.
The only rep did dsn, however, he has never been honored to see him, not only live, but also in the photo, in addition to his gallery.

Photo gen:

Photo rep (DSN):

PAM170
A slightly more common model than the previous one, which is distinguished primarily by a polished bezel, it is especially worth noting that, along with the fact that it is satin-oval, it nevertheless has minute notches on the bezel from 12 to 3.
About rep I can repeat everything I wrote about pam106, with the clarification that both models come from it without a combined bracelet, which is apparently too difficult to produce.
By the way, for even more contrast, at 170, the steel parts have been polished for even more contrast, which looks amazing on the gen ...

Photo gen:

Photo rep (DSN):

Well, now let's take a closer look at our target pam024.
In turn, it is the basic submersible base that has been the manufacturer for much of the brand's modern history.
Apart from the vintage GPF2 / 56, this is the first serial 44 mm submersible, which is more likely to be restyled, as the model pam01024 is produced to this day.
This is not an expensive watch compared to other models of the collection, however, if in 1998 they asked for 2740 euros for pam024, then in 2012 it is already 5600 euros, and today they are asking for 6100 euros for a new pam01024.

Inside, they have the OP.III caliber, which is a 7750 modification, without a chronograph, with a constant second at 9 @, and a date at 3 @, which, like all old school pams, has a cyclops.
In fact, this is a basic automatic watch, which, unlike the pam104, simply has a dial design and a rotatable bezel, which have been an integral part of the panerai range offer for more than 20 years, during which, of course, they have undergone some changes that may not be noticeable to a fan of another brand. but makes these models actually different.

To understand what we expect from reps, which were quite a few, and they are all noticeably different, let's look at the history of the gen model, how and when it was released, and what changes occurred over the years, so that we can adequately assess the correctness of the rep elements.
I will not focus on the years, because the watch can be produced in one year, sold in another, I will just remind you for those who do not remember, or have not yet had the opportunity to find out that the A series corresponds to 1998.
Now let's take a look at the evolution by series:

A-series (1998)
Case number: 6506
The original look of this model, then how it was reinterpreted, after the vintage Egianzo and the mystical prototype of the pre-v period, which was seen by 1.4 people in the world, and they are silent:

I will say the basic features of this series, which is significantly different from what we are used to seeing 90% of pam024 made:
- Polished bezel.
- There are no minute bars on the bezel from 12 to 3.
- Bezel 12 clicks.
- T dial.
- Markers and numbers are drawn on the plane of the dial.
- Screw rods.
- The case had a difference in form from the modern ones, in accordance with the specifics of the bettarini cases of those years.

B-series (1999)
Case number: 6527
There are no significant external differences, if you do not go into the specifics of the case, but I will not go into details, I would rather note that this series supposedly had some number of 2402, as they were called "by the people", and they were equipped with a satin-finished bezel.

C-series (2000)
Case number: 6561
The last year of the release of this model in the primary format, before the first obvious changes, was already released in a new case, these models will be produced in circulation until 2004.

D-series (2001)
Following the new case, we saw the first obvious differences that make sense to fix, and which clearly affect the appearance and functionality:
- Rings appeared on hour markers, or rather "glasses" filled with lume, as on almost any subs with dots that we see to this day.
- The bezel has become standard satin-finished, for contrast and so that the most vulnerable part of the watch does not lose its original appearance so quickly. On the Internet, you can easily find photos of polished copies of 98-00, which, from systematic polishing, look more like remnants.
- The bezel has 60 clicks, by the standards of the drivers of those years, not the vintage 56/2 lol.
- 15 risks per minute on the bezel from 12 to 3, which we see on subs to this day.

For the next 3 years, during the E, F, G series, there were no changes, however, L details, such as the hands, or the pearl of the bezel, slowly began to seep, both when servicing old models in AD and when buying new ones.
This made sense at that time, because the beauty of the patina of tritium, even if it already glows poorly, ends when it begins to crack and fall asleep, although I don’t think there were many such watches in 2004.

H-series (2005)
Case number: 6628
With the new case, first of all, we switched to the completely L dial.
This is the main thing that is immediately noticeable and important.
Also, the CG has become thick with a curvature.

Further, for another 4 years, during I, J, K, L until 2010, all pam024s were produced in the current configuration.

M-series (2010)
Case number: 6771
This year, as with many other pams models, there have been a number of changes that should also be noted:
- Quick change of the strap, instead of the screw rods, as on most automatic pams of the time.
- Roller on the CG lever

In this latest configuration, the PAM024 was destined to be produced until the last 2016 production of this model. This is how we remembered it, before the transfer of the baton to the model - the successor of PAM1024.

T - series (2017)
Ref: 1024
Case number: 7086
The new model, in addition to the nominally new case, has a new caliber OP.XXX with increased PR and no stop-second function, and changes in the engraving design of the backcase, in accordance with modern submersibles of recent years.
It is more difficult to highlight something, but this is no longer included in the main topic of discussion.

As you can see, there were a lot of variations.
However, in some periods, especially before the G series, there was a lot of inconsistent mixing of details, and you can easily find L hands on T dials, and even lighter L pearl bezel.
Also, it must be remembered that the models of the past years in the secondary market were often serviced, and parts were replaced, due to the fragility of the T lume, which turns many copies into a completely wild hodgepodge.
Not to mention the custom tweaks that can be seen on chrono24, and which are terrifying.
I didn’t deliberately touch on some subtleties, such as changing the shape of the case, the thickness of the fonts, backcase, and some others, so that it would not become too hard to read.
Anyway now, it becomes more transparent what to expect from a rep of a particular series.

Now let's go to reps.
In different periods, many versions and factories were produced. Since the model is quite old and popular, I cannot take into account absolutely everything here, especially in the periods 2000-2010, but I will try to fix the main thing:

PAM024 A SERIES (DSN)
This series was made only by DSN, but had at least 3 variants, from the first to the second with an improved crown, CG and some other modifications, and a version with SWISS 7750.
It has its drawbacks, but there are no factual errors, and the only possible option for this series.

Rep photo:

​Gen photo:

PAM024 C SERIES (V6F / XF)
The last in the game with 024 were V6F, which at that time were one of the best pams manufacturers, and immediately released 2 pam24 series, along with some old models.
This is a direct competitor to pam024 "A" from dsn and has the best overall quality and precision of workmanship, except for some nuances, such as excessively blue AR (in my opinion), poor CG, completely modern case, including the bezel, which are simply polished, and some others , but a wonderful seal of the dial, CP, bezel.
This is a good option, but unfortunately not many have been done and they are quite rare at the moment.

Rep photo:

Gen photo:

PAM024 D SERIES (DSN)
Secondly, after the A series, the D was released, which has a satiated bezel with risks, rings on markers, and the lume itself is made in a different shade (whiter), but is still marked as T.
In general, all the specifics of the series, together with the engravings, are taken into account, and despite the possible slightly lower overall quality, this is a very good REP, no less valuable and rare, like other DSN works, which is also a good source of details for explicit projects.

Gen photo:​​

PAM024 N SERIES (DSN)
Frankly, I don't know how to comment on this, because I have never seen it, only I know from some discussions and information that it was and was on sale.
All old DSN albums are blocked, and the photos on the forums have already faded ...
I would be glad if someone shows it in the comments.
I suspect that all the specifics of the series are reflected correctly, but in terms of overall quality, it may be inferior to the R series from the V6F, which came out a little later, and was really good. Perhaps this is the reason for the low prevalence of the only modern PAM024 from DSN.

Gen photo:

Rep photo:

PAM024 R SERIES (V6F / XF)
In my opinion, the best rep for modern pam024.
I would suggest that it could be considered a contender for superrep. They are not so widespread, because in their format they compete with brighter models such as pam243, pam064 or pam087, but in fact, they have a completely different form factor, and judging by their prevalence, they received a little less love, along with the fact that they were sold not such a long period.

Gen photo:

Rep photo:

Also, there were multiple low quality reps, both very old (Before 2010) and later, DHGATE format.
They could be of absolutely any series, and without them, with a non-engraved caseback, including a backcase from pam199, and have any flaws that could come to mind, from excessively thick cases, satin-finished instead of polished, and a mixture of elements inherent in other gen series, thin date fonts, blue AR, and much more that probably doesn't make sense to comment on and disassemble.

This was not a sufficiently detailed analysis of the evolution of the gen model, nor is it a detailed review of reps, since I hardly even touched on the shortcomings.
But, given the variety of variations of the original and the many replicas made over 15 years, having familiarized yourself with this material, probably without even being very familiar with the brand, you can at least understand the correspondence of certain rep elements to a particular series, and understand that this is a fantasy, or an upscale rep of an existing serial variation.

Also, any decent version of pam024 is a good chance, and you don't have to choose now, so I hope this will at least allow you to compare the photo of what you found, or you are offered with gen, and understand whether this is good or bad.

If this is really interesting to someone, I can write the following reviews in more detail, or vice versa, more succinctly.

Thanks to everyone who had the patience to read this to the end, and I hope that you consider this time well wasted.

Be healthy, KOT.

Altoronto

You're Saying I Can Sell?
13/10/19
...and title says ‘A little about Pam 024’ and I wonder how long and comprehensive is ‘Everything about Pam 024’ ;) Great article KOT and keep coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: KOT1917

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Another nice post KOT1917
Thanks for sharing
I will include the link in the updated PAM GUIDE

ALE

BTW. A little work of editing pic sizes and adding good and clear titles (bigger font and bold) to the pics and different topics will improve a lot the clarity and understanding of your nice threads.
Just a friend advice

Last edited:

granvino

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
3/4/11
Thanks again KOT. Lots of dedication on your part on an obscure but pivotal Panerai model. You are 100% right about DSN's models and I may add that about 10 years ago and after, a few modded/franken versions appeared in the old forums but I never took the bait...

mrsullivan

Replicaddict
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
18/8/19
EU
Amazing job, I'm learning so much here. And the strong point here is learning as much, if not more, about gens than reps. Thank you.

Please KOT1917 don't use the word "wasted" about your writings in the future, this is "precious" time I'd say.

Envoyé de mon ELE-L29 en utilisant Tapatalk

Last edited:

KOT1917

26/7/19
Russian federation
Thank you friends! Glad you like it!

ALE7575 , I'll try to master the text formatting next time. At the expense of the photo, do not consider it disrespectful - publication in this form, I will pay attention to the scale, but with the size it can be difficult, on a smartphone, they are all screen-wide:), and after filling out and sending the post, I understand that the image size is different :atwitsend:...
I will find a way to do it all in a decent form.

KOT1917

26/7/19
Russian federation
Thanks again KOT. Lots of dedication on your part on an obscure but pivotal Panerai model. You are 100% right about DSN's models and I may add that about 10 years ago and after, a few modded/franken versions appeared in the old forums but I never took the bait...

Well noticed. This is approximately the main reason for the proceedings. This is indeed one of the main panerai models, which has many variations, and a lot of reps that reflect different options, but at the same time, usually it's ... just pam024, one of a bunch of subs, and, moreover, not the most talked about and popular. I understand that there are brighter options that I touched upon here, but nevertheless, it seems that this is the basis, of the most popular and progressive pams collection.

SHB

Mythical Poster
31/10/18
Earth
Had a good read again, thanks for the HQ post as usual mate!

Now I want a 024C asap lol

Last edited:

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Thank you friends! Glad you like it!

ALE7575 , I'll try to master the text formatting next time. At the expense of the photo, do not consider it disrespectful - publication in this form, I will pay attention to the scale, but with the size it can be difficult, on a smartphone, they are all screen-wide:), and after filling out and sending the post, I understand that the image size is different :atwitsend:...
I will find a way to do it all in a decent form.

KOT1917 don't take my comments as a criticism at all. But quite the opposite.

Your work in this thread and others is great and really useful to our community, myself included.

I simply tell you about these improvements that can involve 5% extra work and will become a really important final improvement of your job

In any case, the smartphone is not a suitable medium for these extensive, complex and elaborate threads.
You sholud consider a computer, with a photo editor for such a job.

Please keep up the good work, we will all always appreciate it.

Keep in touch

ALE

KOT1917

26/7/19
Russian federation
O, ALE7575 , of course, I take everything correctly, and I am grateful to you for the advice that will make the posts better and the information more accessible.
This is completely objective.

Well, SHB now I helped find a reason to spend some more of your $$$ ... Sorry, this was all well-meaning! :)

Reactions: SHB

SHB

Mythical Poster
31/10/18
Earth
O, ALE7575 , of course, I take everything correctly, and I am grateful to you for the advice that will make the posts better and the information more accessible.
This is completely objective.

Well, SHB now I helped find a reason to spend some more of your $$$ ... Sorry, this was all well-meaning! :)

Ahhhh no worries buddy, I'm happy to spend a few more cash for a 024c haha