• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What's a majiggy?

Alpha Dog Omega

Renowned Member
10/3/08
I have a cheap PAM (don't even know the model... it's one of the slim SS models... I bought it ages ago). It's missing a couple of the ... not sure what they're called... lug bars?

Anyhow, 3 Qs:

1. What are they called?
2. Are they pretty universal in terms of fit?
3. Where can I buy a pair?

Shanks A lot.

Reactions: iPisi70

Alpha Dog Omega

Renowned Member
10/3/08
Here you go. Yeah, what a shame. I thought a killer strap would fancy up this basic thing so I paid nearly $200 for a great horned strap...and... promptly lost half of it. Now... just trying to get her set for a NEW strap. Uuuugh. TIA.

papabear244

Renowned Member
17/11/20
I can understand if the original owner lost the screw, got fed up and decided to sell it. They are a pita when changing straps. Gotta have a steady hand otherwise one twitch and the screw is jettisoned off and it’s bye bye, time to get a new pair of wire lugs. Fortunately as mentioned already they are easy to find. Maybe because everyone keeps losing them.

Btw it doesn’t look like a cheap rep to me and I personally think it’s a very attractive model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
yes I would. The 242 blocks the thread from coming lose by vibration but lets you wind by hand using low power.

Yep, just make sure you're using the blue loctite. Never RED (or you'll have that lugbar stuck on for life). 242 or 243 will do. 243 is just an upgraded version of the 242.

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Yep, just make sure you're using the blue loctite. Never RED (or you'll have that lugbar stuck on for life). 242 or 243 will do. 243 is just an upgraded version of the 242.

I agree !!

"The difference between Loctite 242 and Loctite 243 is that Loctite 243 is a slightly upgraded version of Loctite 242. You’re unlikely to notice the difference, but 243 actually has a slightly better oil tolerance than Loctite 242."

Of course 243 is more expensive than 242

ALE

Last edited:

Alpha Dog Omega

Renowned Member
10/3/08
GOOD NEWS and BAD NEWS. And more advice needed.

Good news. Strap seller says to send him back the one half of this nice Hornback and he’ll make me a match (for a price of course). Other good news is that I found a pair of spring bars that might work in the bottom of my parts box.

Bad news is, when making my OP I failed to see that the screw sitting in the lug hole where the serial number is (see prior photo) is stripped out. Well, let me say this - the screw head slot has been mangled/widened making remove not possible (thus far).... can’t say is the threads themselves are amenable to working either.

So 2 QUESTIONS:

1. Ideas for removing the stuck screw with the widened slop on the head. I’ve tried using a slightly larger screwdriver without success but I might should let some WD-40 sit on he screw for a few days to see if the threads are holding it. It HAS been sitting as is for many years. Ideas?
2. Does this model PAM use lug bars that DON’T use connecting rods between the L-brackets? As I recall, this just had L-brackets that slid into the strap with an empty space between them.

Thanks.

papabear244

Renowned Member
17/11/20
So how did it go? If one of the L lugs is stuck just leave it there. You can change straps with just opening the other one.

Alpha Dog Omega

Renowned Member
10/3/08
Thanks for asking. Unfortunately it's stuck with no lug bar in place. Need to work on it more... Worst case, drill it out. It's loose just the flathead slot is mangled (not my work) and it's become a bit jammed. Not the worst thing just a problem to overcome...

Qatar974

16/11/18
Qatar
It happened before to me with my radiomer, mine was lose but stuck and the screw head is flat, i pushed the screw using the screwdriver from the other hole and it did get out after some trials.