• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Strap Freaks!!!

Swiss_goupil

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
7/12/19
Last Kingdom
352205dac90a010ec78fe6779a437958.jpg

571460eac518acd434a3e5ad520bb577.jpg

de2650f6ff1eb667b0aa80cf34809437.jpg

3039337f9ae32198daba97f04b2366b8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
Recently purchased some gen straps and buckles and I’ve been playing around a bit. Now generally I know I am not a fan of the accordion rubber on a luminor case. I don’t know what it is. I see a lot of people wear the accordion on a luminor or radiomir and I always just kind of cringe. Not judging but it’s more like seeing a suit with slippers. It just doesn’t look right to me.
Or like Johnlogan’s sporttech strap on the fiddy (lol no offense brother)

I know the accordion is a newer design but is there some basis for this that I am not fully aware of? I think I’ve seen people mention the appropriate straps (and I understand it’s based on individual taste). Is this just my taste and the way it looks based on the history or is it based on what straps come standard with each mode? Like when you buy a gen, the channel comes with luminors and the subs come with accordions. Is there some historical context driving this preference I guess is what I’m Asking. I’m sure some knowledgeable members can shed some light on it.

The reason I thought about that is because I have a gen rubber channel strap i just got and because of the above stated preference I also just assumed I wouldn’t like the channel strap on the submersible case but I put it on the 243 and I must say I love it. It just goes to show you don’t know how something will look until you try it. So I’m curious, am I committing some kind of panerai faux pas by wearing this combo?

Thanks. And no offense is intended to anyone. I am just curious about the the history of Panerai and a little bit of the basis of my own preference. I hope no one thinks I’m shitting on their decision to mix and match straps and cases. Thank you.

1a289d8029a429c8606003f2b95caed7.jpg

2a9946ccb78d0b855ba3c3719677211c.jpg

Phoenixboy

I'm Pretty Popular
30/5/19
Devon
Recently purchased some gen straps and buckles and I’ve been playing around a bit. Now generally I know I am not a fan of the accordion rubber on a luminor case. I don’t know what it is. I see a lot of people wear the accordion on a luminor or radiomir and I always just kind of cringe. Not judging but it’s more like seeing a suit with slippers. It just doesn’t look right to me.

I know the accordion is a newer design but is there some basis for this that I am not fully aware of? I think I’ve seen people mention the appropriate straps (and I understand it’s based on individual taste). Is this just my taste and the way it looks based on the history or is it based on what straps come standard with each mode? Like when you buy a gen, the channel comes with luminors and the subs come with accordions. Is there some historical context driving this preference I guess is what I’m Asking. I’m sure some knowledgeable members can shed some light on it.

The reason I thought about that is because I have a gen rubber channel strap i just got and because of the above stated preference I also just assumed I wouldn’t like the channel strap on the submersible case but I put it on the 243 and I must say I love it. It just goes to show you don’t know how something will look until you try it. So I’m curious, am I committing some kind of panerai faux pas by wearing this combo?

Thanks. And no offense is intended to anyone. I am just curious about the the history of Panerai and a little bit of the basis of my own preference. I hope no one thinks I’m shitting on their decision to mix and match straps and cases. Thank you.

Panerai make some strange strap choices on some of there submersibles.
The Mike Horn 719 for example in Gen comes on a black accordion ????
Why black with the blue face, when IMO they do a dark blue accordion that looks far better .
Jmo of course.

Reactions: Hazing

Hazing

9/5/19
Corrigia too. 50% off till Christmas if you spend $300 or more. Spend $800 and get a free watch roll too.

Use code: VIPCLUB

Woundup

YNWA
Patron
Certified
9/12/18
Cordes trilogy completed:
unnamed-12(1).jpg

unnamed-11(1).jpg

image5(4).jpeg

image4(5).jpeg

image8.jpeg

image1(1).jpeg

Already thinking of specs for the next order....

Last edited:

GGEuroHEADSHOT

Renowned Member
21/8/21
Canada
A warning to anybody thinking of buying from Delugs.

I just received my corocdile watch strap I ordered from Delugs as the Black Friday sale was on. These are NOT CHEAP, near the high end of the strap market. I was expecting the same in quality.

I can only speak for the crocodile strap, it was a let down immediately out of the box. The lug ends are stuff, the clasp ends are thin. It looked and felt like the strap I was replacing that CAME WITH THE REP.

I bought a Vincero off Instagram years ago when I was just getting to watches. This Instagram watch has a leather strap that is multiples nicer than the strap I just received from Delugs. I spent about the same on the COMPLETE WATCH as I did this strap. Very disappointed.

I even tried reaching out to the owner Ken, and haven’t had any communication back. I will be hitting ziczacleather or another cheaper alternative next time, for better quality.

donkacper

Patron
Certified
17/11/17
EU

I just received my corocdile watch strap I ordered from Delugs as the Black Friday sale was on. These are NOT CHEAP, near the high end of the strap market. I was expecting the same in quality.

I can only speak for the crocodile strap, it was a let down immediately out of the box. The lug ends are stuff, the clasp ends are thin. It looked and felt like the strap I was replacing that CAME WITH THE REP.

I bought a Vincero off Instagram years ago when I was just getting to watches. This Instagram watch has a leather strap that is multiples nicer than the strap I just received from Delugs. I spent about the same on the COMPLETE WATCH as I did this strap. Very disappointed.

I even tried reaching out to the owner Ken, and haven’t had any communication back. I will be hitting ziczacleather or another cheaper alternative next time, for better quality.
Which strap did you buy? Care to share a link?

Wysłane z mojego motorola edge przy użyciu Tapatalka

Hazing

9/5/19
Which strap did you buy? Care to share a link?

and pics

also as ggeuroheadshot just referenced ziczac, it looks like ziczac is now a trusted strapmaker on rwi. I just saw trailboss post this thread. https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...ome-to-our-newest-strap-maker-ziczakc-leather and his post.

Anyone who is in the aftermarket strap game will know ziczacleather , they have a huge following in the IWC and AP domains due to the quality of their work and very good prices. For 69 bucks yo get a first-class strap in an exotic leather. These guys have first-class reviews on the major gen fora and as such we are very happy indeed to have them on board here at RWI. I can personally recommend them as a provider of great straps at great prices sio I'm more than happy to have them on board.

Give them a go, I'm sure you will be more than pleased.

Their section: https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/trusted-strap-dealers/ziczac-leather

Their old pre dealer thread: https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...439-ziczac-leather-daily-works-vnhandcraftart

donkacper

Patron
Certified
17/11/17
EU

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy

That sounds like a real letdown, I'd like to see pics and link too

GGEuroHEADSHOT

Renowned Member
21/8/21
Canada
I got the Matte Dark Brown Alligator strap, as seen here:

https://delugs.com/collections/regular-alligator/products/matte-dark-brown-alligator-signature-strap

The first pics are from the strap the watch came with, VC Fiftysix by ZF

f28a432758e6e4111409ca8215676081.jpg

45f3ef22a4773c76a50f373752284285.jpg

a76a2c0dd6eccc22ca37bbf80d45d4bd.jpg

Here is the replacement from Delugs:

7a58bb1df836bf8fdb65648757386f88.jpg

afa992a7a7585337fd865d5ca687ad59.jpg

9f9c4857b94590420027e72ac849641e.jpg

7e8c8d6d9b835975f81417a04bcafa99.jpg

7bbb1ed9177be29883bdca03d6e42516.jpg

It’s hard to tell what it feels like from the pictures, but the lug ends are stiff (I know they get worn in, but they are just tough), the buckle end is thin and light. One of the other things that popped out was it had the same feel and look when running down the sides of the strap as the ZF strap.
Imagine if you’re pinching the strap between your pointer finger and your thumb. Then you look at the side profile, not the front or back. It’s feels like it’s on a piece of rubber which the crocodile hide was pressed against on both sides.

My comparison of the Instagram watch, where the leather feels like you can squish it, between your fingers because there is room to do so, it feels malleable and soft. Almost like there is an air pocket you could bite into and leave an indentation which would slowly disappear. This continues not just at the lugs but all the way down to the buckle. And the side profile, beautifully made so the sides are almost sharp to a point instead of being square look like rubber.

a71f56f26e44e4a9336229f38daec580.jpg

11d92ccf9060631a7b79b8d46d2eebed.jpg

f08adc60a44268d1f683a11dfbc66f9c.jpg

Like I said I have sent an email for a refund, but the policy states you can not even put the leather band on the watch or buckle it up once if you want to send it back. I will post any updates on communication from the owner, Ken, if he does eventually respond.

donkacper

Patron
Certified
17/11/17
EU
I do not know how the strap feels but I do have a few observations.
First of all 135 usd is not a really high price for aligator strap, of course it depends on the quality but it's not a price of a high end strap as you've suggested.

Also, it's a padded strap so the lug parts will be stiffer, it's not really unusual. Regarding the thickness at buckle, well that just depends on the type of the strap, you should know what kind of strap you're ordering, some people appreciate that type.

Overall, it's your impression of course that counts, I did not see the strap in person, but I am not sure if all your complaints are justified.

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
I have to say pics are not really helping in this case, Delugs strap looks very well made to me and the hide has a nice and rich color which usually somes with quality hides. TBH it looks better than the IG leather you showed after.
From a construction perspective, the fact that the tip is flat is normal in high quality straps where the strapmaker thins down the hide at maximum only at the lugs end in order to fit the padding while the tip is left thinner in order to give more flexibility while adjusting it on the buckle.
With that said I agree the feeling is everyting and an elegant crocodile strap that thin just can't be stiff, period.

GGEuroHEADSHOT

Renowned Member
21/8/21
Canada
Thanks for the information, it’s nice to learn about these alligator pieces. While the strap near the buckle is padded, so is the cheaper watchs’ and it is not near as stiff. Granted, it’s had some wear and this is new.

Also I understand the buckle end not being padded is the style, perhaps I should have inspected the strap closer before ordering. I’m new to the watch/strap scene, and kind of just assumed the padding would travel down the entire strap. When receiving the unpadded ends, it seemed like a cheaper make. I appreciate that this is a style to not have the padding run down the entire strap.

How about the side profile, in your guys’ experience is that normal to have the side as more of a flat surface than having curvature and a sharper end point?

Again thanks for the info, it does make me feel better about the purchase. To me paying $180 CAD for a strap is on the higher end as some comparables. I would love to see a ziczac beside a delugs to see if there is a noticeable difference.

Woundup

YNWA
Patron
Certified
9/12/18
I agree with the comments above - the strap looks exactly like what is shown on their website. Regarding the edges - in my experience most strap makers do not bevel cut the edge like the OEM straps. I actually prefer a flat edge. The rubber like edge coat is also what is typically used to cover the raw edges - the coating on your strap looks to be very smooth and even which means that time was taken to properly smooth the surface and evenly apply the coating.

Reactions: GGEuroHEADSHOT

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Thanks for the information, it’s nice to learn about these alligator pieces. While the strap near the buckle is padded, so is the cheaper watchs’ and it is not near as stiff. Granted, it’s had some wear and this is new.

Also I understand the buckle end not being padded is the style, perhaps I should have inspected the strap closer before ordering. I’m new to the watch/strap scene, and kind of just assumed the padding would travel down the entire strap. When receiving the unpadded ends, it seemed like a cheaper make. I appreciate that this is a style to not have the padding run down the entire strap.

How about the side profile, in your guys’ experience is that normal to have the side as more of a flat surface than having curvature and a sharper end point?

Again thanks for the info, it does make me feel better about the purchase. To me paying $180 CAD for a strap is on the higher end as some comparables. I would love to see a ziczac beside a delugs to see if there is a noticeable difference.

In my experience rubber-like finished sides come with higher quality straps. They are a sign of a real hand made strap in my understanding, due to the way the leather hide is thinned down before being stitched.
I'd love to see a comparison with ziczac's straps too, they seem to have nice stuff and decent prices.

Reactions: GGEuroHEADSHOT

donkacper

Patron
Certified
17/11/17
EU
Like I said I have sent an email for a refund, but the policy states you can not even put the leather band on the watch or buckle it up once if you want to send it back. I will post any updates on communication from the owner, Ken, if he does eventually respond.

Just out of curiosity, on what basis are you asking for a refund? The strap does not have any defects, it looks like the strap in their pictures, etc.