• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Strap Freaks!!!

superspark69

Put Some Respect On My Name
Certified
22/10/18
Sheffield, UK
A place for all you strap addicts!!

You cant be helped, there is no cure!

Show us your straps, reviews on your strap master craftsman of choice, anything straps!!!.

I have no shame in admitting that I have an unrelenting desire for new straps whenever I see something slightly different to the ones I already own, wether its a different stitch, a slight colour variation, different material.

Heres a quick shot of the spare strap drawer, let alone the other 40 odd straps already mounted to my Pamily. I estimate in the region of 130 (ish) region.

7-FA852-EC-C5-FF-469-D-95-E9-D0-D6809-E7-C82.jpg

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
Nice buddy. It's posts like this that really fuck with my life lol. If it wasn't for this group, I'd be happy with like 6 or 7 straps for 3 or 4 Panerai.

But every time I see something I think will look good... Boom.

Here is my main strap drawer. I have others in a Panerai strap holder and the ones on each watch.

I hate to be a strap snob but I can't even wear those low cost straps anymore. I know it is east to think leather is leather but it's not. Quality strap makers like Mays, Simona, Kostas are well worth the premiums they charge.

A great strap elevates look of any Panerai. When I think about people commenting on my watch, a good strap is often what someone will notice and mention or ask about. In my experience.
11dc8fd8c9631f967b4665b6de257a1d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

superspark69

Certified
22/10/18
Sheffield, UK
Nice buddy. It's posts like this that really fuck with my life lol. If it wasn't for this group, I'd be happy with like 6 or 7 straps for 3 or 4 Panerai.

But every time I see something I think will look good... Boom.

Here is my main strap drawer. I have others in a Panerai strap holder and the ones on each watch.

I hate to be a strap snob but I can't even wear those low cost straps anymore. I know it is east to think leather is leather but it's not. Quality strap makers like Mays, Simona, Kostas are well worth the premiums they charge.

A great strap elevates look of any Panerai. When I think about people commenting on my watch, a good strap is often what someone will notice and mention or ask about. In my experience.

Very true, you get what you pay for IMHO

There are some amazing artisans out there for sure, im just having a couple of straps made and sewn on to some vintage cases by David Cordes, using some lovely vintage Gustav Ammo leather using some Elias knife-edge nickel plated buckles. . Also got a couple of straps winging there way from George at Greenstraps, by the way he has excellent straps!.

I have also found myself having a tendency to go longer and longer on straps now and most new ones are coming in at 150/90's.

Woundup

YNWA
Patron
Certified
9/12/18
Another strap freak here.... I've actually bought watches to match a particular strap. I love the process of having them custom made to my specifications.

I found a new Strap Maker that I just had make these 3 for me - they should be arriving tomorrow so I'm excited to see if the quality is as good as it looks in the pictures:

Soft burgundy calf for my 364:

Padded stingray for my 243:

Nile crocodile belly for my 286:

Snil

Certified
18/8/20
Nordic
I’m just starting out in the Panerai and strap game, so I’ve naturally bought everything I can get my greasy fingers on off AliExpress lol.
I think most of the rubber straps are fine and fun to play around with but I think the watch comes alive on a good leather strap, but they gotta have some girth. The ones on AliExpress are just way too thin.
Where do you buy your straps and what’s the price range I should expect for something of decent quality?

superspark69

Certified
22/10/18
Sheffield, UK
I’m just starting out in the Panerai and strap game, so I’ve naturally bought everything I can get my greasy fingers on off AliExpress lol.
I think most of the rubber straps are fine and fun to play around with but I think the watch comes alive on a good leather strap, but they gotta have some girth. The ones on AliExpress are just way too thin.
Where do you buy your straps and what’s the price range I should expect for something of decent quality?

the decent straps will cost you anything from £100 to £300 a piece. I have some that are worth over that and appreciating as they are so rare (Adeeos straps and pre-v)

Snil

Certified
18/8/20
Nordic
the decent straps will cost you anything from £100 to £300 a piece. I have some that are worth over that and appreciating as they are so rare (Adeeos straps and pre-v)

Whoa, that’s more than what the watch is worth lol. What’s available in the $40 - $80 range?

• Haha
Reactions: Karbon74

superspark69

Certified
22/10/18
Sheffield, UK
Whoa, that’s more than what the watch is worth lol. What’s available in the $40 - $80 range?

Dr Phil is good for that price range.

tbh the straps make the rep, the Pam reps can be so close to gen that a poor quality strap will ultimately make it feel like that, put it on a gen strap or high quality strap and it almost feels like you are wearing the gen. As you delve deeper down the rabbit hole the rep market changes and you find yourself buying modded watches, frankens, custom watches that can cost as much as some gens.

PAM_BOY

Legendary Member
6/5/19
Germany
THAT'S THE KEY!

As mentioned by superspark69 >
''...Put it on a gen strap or HIGH QUALITY STRAP and it almost feels (AND LOOKS) like you are wearing the gen''
A high quality strap is the best invest on your high end rep!

To shorten it!
Cheap strap > cheap watch!
High quality strap and high end rep > Looks like Gen;)

sukwonee

I'm Pretty Popular
7/9/11
PNW
Wow... I thought I had a lot.

Keep em coming guys. I will be good audience :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Snil

TheChachi

10/9/18
Absolutely fantastic post. It is most always the PAM lovers who acquire the most straps. However, PAM's are strap monsters and one of the very few that look good on almost any strap combo. I know who I am going to for strap advice.

superspark69

Certified
22/10/18
Sheffield, UK
I have a lovely ammo strap I picked up from somewhere but have struggled to identify the maker, anyone any ideas?

5-A0-EAA94-2394-4-AEC-9-D60-352-A70-D7292-B.jpg

Hazing

9/5/19
THAT'S THE KEY!

As mentioned by superspark69 >
''...Put it on a gen strap or HIGH QUALITY STRAP and it almost feels (AND LOOKS) like you are wearing the gen''
A high quality strap is the best invest on your high end rep!

To shorten it!
Cheap strap > cheap watch!
High quality strap and high end rep > Looks like Gen;)
It's funny - I've always said that. With a nice strap, no one is questioning authenticity. Also I had a friend who doesnt know anything about watches say "hey nice strap" and I've told them the specs on the strap and buckle and the dude compared it to the way a sommelier talks about wine. I always just said "I have an eye for detail so much that even the buckle of my watch is carefully selected. Nothing is just thrown together... Nothing."

And now that guy thinks I'm a fashion snob. LOL But it's a reason I have always loved Panerai.

Hazing

9/5/19
Where are you located? I think the thing I'd go check out the good strap makers when they have sale.

For instance Mays just had a sale (buy 2 get one free), distefano had a sale and still does where they seel everything they have pre-made for ~$60 ($90 for exotics) and you can't beat that. A $60 distefano (retail $175) is a better buy than a $45 dh gate strap. And it will last a million years. You just have to be patient and not try to buy 5 at once.

I'd rather have 5 quality straps than 20 cheap straps any day.

Oh and I asked where you're located because there are makers in the USA (York out of Detroit for instance) who makes good straps with decent leather. He also gets them out the door quickly too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ecender

Snil

Certified
18/8/20
Nordic
Where are you located? I think the thing I'd go check out the good strap makers when they have sale.

For instance Mays just had a sale (buy 2 get one free), distefano had a sale and still does where they seel everything they have pre-made for ~$60 ($90 for exotics) and you can't beat that. A $60 distefano (retail $175) is a better buy than a $45 dh gate strap. And it will last a million years. You just have to be patient and not try to buy 5 at once.

I'd rather have 5 quality straps than 20 cheap straps any day.

Oh and I asked where you're located because there are makers in the USA (York out of Detroit for instance) who makes good straps with decent leather. He also gets them out the door quickly too.

I'm in Chicago!
That's not a bad idea, I've enjoyed buying the $10 straps of AliExpress to check what color combos work on the watch but I definitely see the value in a better quality strap now.
Chicago is a big city so I bet (hope) there are a few vendors out there, I'll do some research!

GA81

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/3/20
I still deciding on which first strap I need to buy for my new Pam!

Hazing

9/5/19
I'm in Chicago!
That's not a bad idea, I've enjoyed buying the $10 straps of AliExpress to check what color combos work on the watch but I definitely see the value in a better quality strap now.
Chicago is a big city so I bet (hope) there are a few vendors out there, I'll do some research!

Yeah, you know how it goes. Not every strap works but most work in way you don’t even realize. I can’t tell you how many times I bought a strap for my 799 and it didn’t look nearly as good as I thought it would but when I put it on the 1616. Or I’ll get one for the 569 but it works best on the 695.

i guess all I was trying to really say though is that you can find good straps at a reasonable price. There’s also Martu... i think. I’ve never used her but she has some great prices and the forum has said many great things. Those top tier straps are nice from those expensive makers like corrigia and isis Thomas but you don’t need to spend $380 on a strap to have a nice feel and look. Also hit the member to member section. Some users rotate straps like crazy and some can be had for great prices.

Reactions: Snil and Phoenixboy