• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

VSF PAM88

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
The owners of this rep VSF PAM 088 should not be discouraged at all.

This VSF PAM 088 is impressive, with an extraordinary gen-look and really very pretty.

That said, we are here to report the flaws, to make sure of differences with the gen, to be able to distinguish and choose between different versions, and to "encourage" manufacturers to correct the flaws they have committed.
This is not to say that current PAM088 VSF owners rush to the sales department to get rid of their watches as soon as possible.

All replicas have defects even the most perfect ,and also the quality is not always consistent, nor can it be legally claimed, as in a gen.

ALE

sukwonee

I'm Pretty Popular
7/9/11
PNW
Thanks for the question.

It is important the explanation because we have not talked about this for a long time and many people do not remember the meaning or have never heard of it.

"Frozen halo" is a white circle at the contour of the cyclops lens of the date. Gen is clean and transparent, some replicas (as in this case) have a white halo that we call "frozen halo"

I hope is clear now

ALE

Yes it is. Thank you so much for the knowledge drop!

Orev

You're Saying I Can Sell?
13/3/18
Looking forward to receiving mine that’s out for delivery. I’ll post when it lands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: sukwonee

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
As "food for the lions" I indicate below a DIAL flaw in the rep NOOB PAM088, which I observed a long time ago but forgot to include in PAM GUIDE.

Look at the photo below

In the photo above you can see the Noob dial compared to the gen
You can see that all the GMT time markers are closer to the normal time markers
The shift of 24 is especially noticeable, and the same can be seen in the areas marked with the green arrows on the 18-20 -22 markers. The flaw occurs in almost all GMT time markers of Noob rep, but is more visible in those indicated above.

With this flaw it is very easy to detect a Noob dial in these reps.
Nobody is perfect.

ALE

donkacper

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
17/11/17
EU
As "food for the lions" I indicate below a DIAL flaw in the rep NOOB PAM088, which I observed a long time ago but forgot to include in PAM GUIDE.

Look at the photo below

The shift of 24 is especially noticeable, and the same can be seen in the areas marked with the green arrows on the 18-20 -22 markers. The flaw occurs in almost all GMT time markers of Noob rep, but is more visible in those indicated above.

Nobody is perfect.

ALE
You're sick man ;)
but seriously, impressive observations on both Noob and VSF, thank you

Wysłane z mojego motorola edge przy użyciu Tapatalka

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Yes it is. Thank you so much for the knowledge drop!

To illustrate the "frozen halo" look at the pic above, extracted from REPGEEK:

FROZEN_HALO-PIC.jpg

See the "frozen halo" in the rep Noob (!!!!) on the right, and the clean cyclops in the gen on the left

However, and fortunately, my own PAM 299 Noob has not "frozen halo" at all.
Maybe the dealer was afraid to send it to me with "frozen halo"....:p:p

ALE

Last edited:

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
BTW. I just took out, out of curiosity, my PAM 088 Noob and it really is fantastic and very gen-like
One of my preferred PAMs

... despite the dial flaw above mentioned

ALE

KOT1917

Put Some Respect On My Name
26/7/19
Russian federation
From the photo we can see that 088 noob and vsf cases are very different in every detail.
I like the noob case more in relation to gen, but maybe there are other opinions?

Woundup

YNWA
Patron
Certified
9/12/18

Nobody is perfect.

ALE

I think there must have been some variations in the gen 88 dial between different series. The dial of my gen R series 88 is almost exactly the same as the noob dial pictured above. Ignore the marker color differences in the picture below - crappy lighitng.

IMG_0142.JPG

Last edited:

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
I think there must have been some variations in the gen 88 dial between different series. The dial of my gen R series 88 is almost exactly the same as the noob dial pictured above. Ignore the marker color differences in the picture below - crappy lighitng.

IMG_0142.JPG

But the spacing between the GMT markers and the normal time markers is still following the Gen (as your R-series is gen). Not something that everyone but the most die-hard of rep enthusiasts will catch though (and someone with enough time to do the infamous gridlines ;) ).

ZlPpwp.png

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
1 or 2 pics from the internet showing R Series doesn’t prove that Panerai didn’t interchange dials IMO

Enjoy the watch guys. Not like we have multiple rep versions in production to chose from.

The academic difference will not be known to real world enthusiasts outside a handful of blokes on the Internet.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
1 or 2 pics from the internet showing R Series doesn’t prove that Panerai didn’t interchange dials IMO

Enjoy the watch guys. Not like we have multiple rep versions in production to chose from.

The academic difference will not be known to real world enthusiasts outside a handful of blokes on the Internet.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Well 1, the picture is from Woundup's gen. It won't definitively prove Panerai didn't change dials of course but it's better than making statements without any basis. Not saying the watch is bad, but that there are differences. As for the "handful of blokes on the internet", that's what RWI is. We've been comparing reps and gens ever since the forum's inception and i don't think it will change anytime soon. It's anyone's personal choice if they don't want to know what things could have been improved or if they could do something to raise what they bought to another level. If you're happy with your purchase as it is, fantastic, feel free to skip any parts you're not interested in. If you want to know more about how close or far a rep is to the gen (or to previous releases), go ahead and read. :)

Reactions: KOT1917

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
Well 1, the picture is from Woundup's gen. It won't definitively prove Panerai didn't change dials of course but it's better than making statements without any basis.

Correct.

Just be careful about anecdotal evidence based on a couple of gen pics, given gen makers habit of interchanging parts between series.

To many gen variations to make conclusive statements about what is period correct and incorrect and hence a “flaw”. Hence my question on the validity of such detailed comparisons.

But yes, it’s a topic of discussion which is what we’re all here for.

Orev

You're Saying I Can Sell?
13/3/18
I never got a chance to post my new 88. Here it is. Even with all the flaws, it’s probably one of the best in my box based on looks.

0706ad55c5adaadb295c459c6d6bb0a2.jpg

Reactions: SHB and sukwonee

sukwonee

I'm Pretty Popular
7/9/11
PNW
I never got a chance to post my new 88. Here it is. Even with all the flaws, it’s probably one of the best in my box based on looks.

0706ad55c5adaadb295c459c6d6bb0a2.jpg

I couldn't agree more. It's gorgeous.

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Just treated the CG with a glass eraser pencil and after it with Cape Cod about 10 minutes.

Not perfect, but I‘m happy with the result.

No bad result at all
Congrats

ALE