• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

11years old and still going (sort of!)

meanmeech

Horology Curious
3/11/20
11 years ago I got the PAM 8 DAY from Dubai, I think I payed around $100 and finally I think I have to let go of it and put it in the glory hole! I've have worn this nearly every day and it has taken some abuse, (I'm a carpenter by trade), however I never really looks into the fact if it was actually a good REP or not.

Attached are the images, could anyone tell me if this was a good REP for its age and if it came from a particular factory?

Technically the only thing wrong with it is the clap screws holding the movement holding it to the body has sheared off. I have no intension of trying to machining them out, so I've ordered a PAM 111 V11 as a replacement.

It would be nice to have some info on the old girl before she is put to bed.

Reactions: sincron and Blshh

KOT1917

Put Some Respect On My Name
26/7/19
Russian federation
Good day. This is not one of the factories of the same level as we are mainly discussing here. $ 100 at that time could be a fair price for this, and when they were new, even more so 11 years ago.

Reactions: meanmeech

meanmeech

Horology Curious
3/11/20
Good day. This is not one of the factories of the same level as we are mainly discussing here. $ 100 at that time could be a fair price for this, and when they were new, even more so 11 years ago.

Ironically I have just found the receipt. I paid 100 dollars on the nose. What would be the equivalent best rep version today? PAM 233?
​​​​​​

Last edited:

KOT1917

26/7/19
Russian federation
Ironically I have just found the receipt. I paid 100 dollars on the nose. What would be the equivalent best rep version today? PAM 233?
​​​​​​

For 8 days with a power reserve, there have been no good rep since then, be it 233 or 289. Everything that is, to one degree or another, is similar to yours, with all the shortcomings. The panerai lineup has changed a lot over the past 10 years, but there are enough new models from which one could try to choose.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Actually for its day it was a good rep. Yes nowadays the tells are unaccecptable but back then everything had bad canon pinions and dodgy crown guard pins. The fact the OP got 11 years out of it should tell the story, I'm wondering what the movemnt is, it could be an ETA base hiding under all that tat.

Reactions: jibuti

KOT1917

26/7/19
Russian federation
I suspect that there is an ETA movt., with such functionality, but I have always seen these models only with the seagull 2533, in my opinion, in this watch, it is...

For the rest, I agree, I was usually most worried about the date font and the lack of a curtain on the pr indicator. But, i remember, there were beautiful fantasy options with a chocolate sunbrust dial on a brown tunnel strap.

meanmeech

Horology Curious
3/11/20
My replacement PAM rep arrived and what a difference compared with the old dog! It's funny when I think about it, if the new PAM 111 lasts as long as the old one, I reckon in 10 years time, not even Panerai will be able to tell the difference!

A few things I would like to comment on. My old PAM is some sort of 8 day and was a funny old thing. Though it looked like an automatic, I actually had to manually wind it up. It lasted for about 4 days, not the 8 stated on the dial.

Comparing the new rep with the old really shows how much development has been achieved. Winding the PAM111 is actually a joy, it feels right, every click and the subtle spring backlash. As for the detailing, though the old 8day was good for it generations, there were some really obvious flaws. The biggest giveaway was back, stating "stainless steel" when the finish was gold.

As for the movement, I'm not going to add much to as everything that has been said already. However from a decorations point of view, the Geneva polish on the PAM111 is actually exceptional and this is why I'm now referring to the 8 day as an old dog! ;)

Last point- There is one thing which I prefer on the 8 day and that's the actual shape of the casing. If you look at the comparison photo's, though the 8 day was never a 1:1 rep, it did have a really nice organic shape to it.

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
Last point- There is one thing which I prefer on the 8 day and that's the actual shape of the casing. If you look at the comparison photo's, though the 8 day was never a 1:1 rep, it did have a really nice organic shape to it.

The old dog has the Luminor 1950s case, which harkens to the shape of the Fiddy (hence 1950). Some like the 1950s design better, some like the original Betarini case design. The rest, like me, like both designs and wear one or the other on a whim. :) Congratulations on the new pickup.