• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

When buying straps do you tell them "it's for a rep"?

DaleM

I'm Pretty Popular
25/8/18
Central Florida
Yes. I use Gunny Straps and Peter wants to double check lug width and distance from the case to the lug holes. He just made one for my Gen Speake Marin Face to Face. Let me see if I can find the finished product so I don't have to go upstairs and take new pics.

found it
0qAVp.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: johnlogan

jonnybaws

I'm Pretty Popular
30/5/14
I only order from strap makers that are listed here or buy Gen straps via the Pam online boutique, no questions asked.

YellowFin

Not pretty, hardly popular
28/1/20
Molvania
Lol, everyday a new stupid question.

When you are buying underwear do you tell the shop assistant you’re heterosexual or homosexual or lesbian ?

I'm very open about being a lesbian i.e. I only bang girls...

Rickjames111

5/9/17
St Louis, Mo

When you are buying underwear do you tell the shop assistant you’re heterosexual or homosexual or lesbian ?

Nothing wrong with the question. Everyone else seems to be able to answer appropriately or if they don’t like the question, ignore it.

OP, I bought a few straps and then started making my own.

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08

It's not stupid as explained by others. There are strap makers who do not want to be associated with reps. Now if they don't ask for customer pictures afterwards, regardless of their attitude towards reps, I would say it's safe to order from them. They don't need to see your watch, they can perfectly google the watch up. There is o difference between a gen and those pictures.

As for your question I would say it is, how shall I put it, ill-advised, not only from a situational perspective but a practical one. It's not even a similar analogy. Anyway, let's limit the discussion to watches.

Last edited:

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
OP, I bought a few straps and then started making my own.

I would love to do this and ordered some parts/tools even just to work on the straps I have. Like a few I wouldn't mind restitching.

But with so many other projects, I keep hitting road blocks (lack of knowledge, skill, and resources as well as tools) and it always causes me to throw my hands in the air.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Rickjames111

5/9/17
St Louis, Mo
I would love to do this and ordered some parts/tools even just to work on the straps I have. Like a few I wouldn't mind restitching.

But with so many other projects, I keep hitting road blocks (lack of knowledge, skill, and resources as well as tools) and it always causes me to throw my hands in the air.

Hit me up via pm. I would be happy to share some info with you. It is super easy and believe it or not, you don’t need many tools to make a strap.

Reactions: Hazing

macarone

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
7/3/17
CONUS USA
Custom Strap makers are too hard on us!
We can buy a top grain leather sectional and no one would care If it ended up in a Trailer Park!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Hazing

Hazing

9/5/19
Custom Strap makers are too hard on us!
We can buy a top grain leather sectional and no one would care If it ended up in a Trailer Park!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that’s what we are, man, huh? We’re the trailer park of watch world. I don’t know how I feel about that. ????

and @drfunsocks I will absolutely hit you up. Thank you.

Last edited:
Reactions: johnlogan

fire007

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
1/3/13
However I do know some strap makers have serious problems with reps.

Genuinely first time I heard that ?....

Could we have a name and shame list ? So I make sure I never deal with those idiots !....

Virpag

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
26/3/13
A lot of strap makers use reps to create their straps do you think they have hundreds of thousands of dollars to buy gens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Carbonara

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
A lot of strap makers use reps to create their straps do you think they have hundreds of thousands of dollars to buy gens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Well you would have to have data to prove that "a lot" statement. Suffice it to say that while there will be strapmakers who would prefer to have a "stunt watch" for their wares, competent strapmakers won't even need a watch to make a strap for it. You just give them what it's for and the makers can get the data they need (lug width, length thickness) to make the strap. I've seen good strapmakers who only have 1 PAM they exclusively use to advertise their work, customers can judge whether he can make them a strap for a PAM of a different size or even a different brand of watch altogether.

Last edited:

granvino

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
3/4/11
I have Gunny, Bakeka, Orloff, Ferreti and Dirk straps among others. Not one time have they asked me for what watch in particular I will be using them for. In fact, Alfio used a couple of my pics on his blog. BTW, I refuse to buy Panerai OEM straps...

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
I have Gunny, Bakeka, Orloff, Ferreti and Dirk straps among others. Not one time have they asked me for what watch in particular I will be using them for. In fact, Alfio used a couple of my pics on his blog. BTW, I refuse to buy Panerai OEM straps...

Well Peter (Gunny) and Mario (Orloff) are dealers in Rep fora so I doubt they'd even care if you were using their straps on reps. Bakeka isn't even on the same as the former two so he wouldn't be one to turn his nose at a possible sale. Ferreti and Dirk are notable mentions.

Hazing

9/5/19
Well Peter (Gunny) and Mario (Orloff) are dealers in Rep fora so I doubt they'd even care if you were using their straps on reps. Bakeka isn't even on the same as the former two so he wouldn't be one to turn his nose at a possible sale. Ferreti and Dirk are notable mentions.
But feretti and Dirk both just make what they make and you're probably buying a leather and stitch that they already have. It's almost like you don't need to talk to anyone.

Sites with an automated process are good. Strap makers who don't do as much variation like Dirk are good. It's usually When you're ordering a leather and stitch that they pump out it doesn't matter as much as when you ask for a blue stich and they inquire about which model so they can match the blue.

And this is to everyone. It's nothing neferaious or sinister. It is not like I'm asking for a strap and they want to legit check the watch. It's just general conversation that I was wondering how everyone handled it.

Reactions: Carbonara

orloff

You're Saying I Can Sell?
15/4/09
I don't care which watch I make a strap for, Gen or Rep, it doesn't matter
I am sometimes given weird measurements, so I ask which watch it is, just to make sure I'm making a correct strap

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
I don't care which watch I make a strap for, Gen or Rep, it doesn't matter
I am sometimes given weird measurements, so I ask which watch it is, just to make sure I'm making a correct strap

Well you are a dealer in rep forums like I mentioned before, so it's expected you wouldn't care. :D It also proves my point, good strap makers only need the watch model, you can check Google easily enough to confirm measurements like lug width, length, etc.