• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

When buying straps do you tell them "it's for a rep"?

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
Just curious.

I ordered a few straps and especially when I say I want blue stitching, often times they ask why or ask which reference I plan to mount it on.

Recently, I got asked by a few makers as I was ordering for the 1661 so I said "a 1661" and then it turns into "oh wow that's awesome. I'm jealous. Send me pics with the strap I make, please".

I don't really like showing a rep, saying it's real and hoping no one notices. However I do know some strap makers have serious problems with reps. But I never really tell people "it's for a rep" and Ultimately, I just forget to send them the pics. Or send terrible ones and tell them I'm bad with a camera.

Just wondering how other people handle this as it seems to be pretty common.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

dadog13

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
15/3/06
90% of each strapmaker orders are made by PAM rep owners LOL. Usually I tell them, not Micah/Vintager straps though, he hates reps and rep owners.

They often use these photos as customer’s photos/feedback of their work on social media, best to avoid them posting photos of reps. Usually I am straightforward with everybody that a watch I own is a rep (or not). Nothing to hide..

Reactions: Hazing

Hazing

9/5/19
I just thank God the best makers don't ask much.

And like dadog, I have no desire to misrepresent a rep. I don't do it irl but people I don't know..

I was talking to a guy once and buying straps off of him and told him I'd take a 24mm strap he had. He asked what I was using it for and I said "I got this faux 092 and I must say, it's a fun watch". I never heard from him again. Lol.

I know some people are too uptight for their own good but just wondering what people say if asked by a strap maker.

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
That's why I order only either from forum strap dealers or with ebay/etsy sellers. As much as I want to buy from other makers, the hassle is just too much.

Reactions: DaleM and Taz71

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
Some makers understandably do not want their name/product/business be associated with the counterfeit watch scene. I therefore think it’s best to avoid mentioning that it’s for a rep.

Sometimes you get into an unavoidable discussion with the strap maker about what watch it’s for. This might be to help decide on the strap detail.

In this case, I say something like “it’s for a 087 style blue dial watch”....or “I want the stitching to match the dial on a watch similar to this pic (attach gen pic from internet”.

Last time I just said it’s for a PAM111. No need to say gen or rep.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Last edited:

Phoenixboy

I'm Pretty Popular
30/5/19
Devon
i have never had any issues when ordering straps.
its business, and the majority of strap makers dont give a hoot what you want it for.
if they only want to sell to gen owners, let them crack on.
theres plenty of quality strap makers out there to take there place.

Qatar974

16/11/18
Qatar
its business, and the majority of strap makers dont give a hoot what you want it for.

Can't agree more.

Last edited:

Hazing

9/5/19
That's why I order only either from forum strap dealers or with ebay/etsy sellers. As much as I want to buy from other makers, the hassle is just too much.
Makes sense. Or to do business with one's who won't ask.

Yeah but it's just the nature of the industry. I think all strap makers are generally all Panerai lovers as well.

And for like a 111 or a 372 where there are many it's not an issue, but with the 1616 or 799 or 1661 anyone you say that to is "ohhhh wow lemme see".

But yeah I'll just modify my language a bit when in doubt.

Reactions: Phoenixboy

rek00001

24/4/13
Not trying to derail this post but it got me thinking - occasionally I'm forced to go to a watch smith to have some pesky problem taken care of, that I can't fix.

TBH I dread going there, they always ask too many questions. They say why don't you take this to an AD where they will fix it? Then I have to say it's a rep. Then they say really? How much did you pay for this? And I say it was very reasonable. Then they ask where did you get it?

You get the idea, rarely will they even attempt to fix it without this obnoxious interrogation.

Hazing

9/5/19
Not trying to derail this post but it got me thinking - occasionally I'm forced to go to a watch smith to have some pesky problem taken care of, that I can't fix.

TBH I dread going there, they always ask too many questions. They say why don't you take this to an AD where they will fix it? Then I have to say it's a rep. Then they say really? How much did you pay for this? And I say it was very reasonable. Then they ask where did you get it?

You get the idea, rarely will they even attempt to fix it without this obnoxious interrogation.
Find one watchsmith and keep using them.

jttou

I'm Pretty Popular
9/11/14
Don't worry. Most of those strap makers are rep owners themselves and are active on rep forums. You can tell by the watches they use to display their straps. Usually super reps. Whenever a certain super rep is released that rep pops up at those strap makers. Watch out for the upcoming Noob Pam 911 to suddenly be used massively to showcase the straps.

However whether for rep, gen or whatever, I don't think anyone should have to explain themselves. I'm paying for the product so it's my business what I do with it. And I certainly don't want to explain myself to strap makers that pass on their reps as gens themselves lol. Of course not every strap maker does this, don't get me wrong.

Reactions: DaleM

APjumbo

Just one more
Supporter
Certified
11/1/11
Canada
I’ll say which watch it is for but won’t mention it’s a rep unless they ask. If they have a problem with it there are plenty of other strap makers I will tale my business to. I’ll only go out of my way to mention it is a rep if I end up sending photos of the strap on the watch. I would hate for them to post photos online of their work unknowing it was a rep.

Hazing

9/5/19
Don't worry. Most of those strap makers are rep owners themselves and are active on rep forums. You can tell by the watches they use to display their straps. Usually super reps. Whenever a certain super rep is released that rep pops up at those strap makers. Watch out for the upcoming Noob Pam 911 to suddenly be used massively to showcase the straps.

However whether for rep, gen or whatever, I don't think anyone should have to explain themselves. I'm paying for the product so it's my business what I do with it. And I certainly don't want to explain myself to strap makers that pass on their reps as gens themselves lol. Of course not every strap maker does this, don't get me wrong.

It's funny because now the 968 is everywhere.

I just saw a few strap makers using the GMF BLNR too.

philwongnz

I'm Pretty Popular
27/1/14
I think you will have makers who simply can't tell is a rep. You will have some old timer like Micha who possibly frown upon his work being with a rep. I guess some active Paneristi you would avoid, this goes hand in hand with the Paneraisti forum where you have people with their signature banner which says “fake watch are for fake people". I have been a member for over 10yrs and met some great people but I don't really go on it anymore as it became too much of a forum with people arguing than talking about watches. In fact I found the gen watch scene sometimes too clicky and some are quite judgemental.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

jttou

I'm Pretty Popular
9/11/14
It's funny because now the 968 is everywhere.

I just saw a few strap makers using the GMF BLNR too.

Exactly. Just now VSF released the 968 and, it's now everywhere. Same will happen with the Noob 911 and whatever super rep that will come out next. As a rep owner that is of course fine (owning reps), however these strap makers, who are all btw here on RWI under different user names, tout their reps as gens on social media etc. And that is a POS move.

But aside from that, like I said, I usually don't tell what watch it is for since there really is no need. Length, color, style, lug width and all that can be discussed without having to tell the seller what watch it is for.

Hazing

9/5/19
Exactly. Just now VSF released the 968 and, it's now everywhere. Same will happen with the Noob 911 and whatever super rep that will come out next. As a rep owner that is of course fine (owning reps), however these strap makers, who are all btw here on RWI under different user names, tout their reps as gens on social media etc. And that is a POS move.

But aside from that, like I said, I usually don't tell what watch it is for since there really is no need. Length, color, style, lug width and all that can be discussed without having to tell the seller what watch it is for.
Well often times it almost is necessary. To a certain extent. I just have to watch what I say and maybe phrase it more carefully and say something like "I'm looking to put it on something that looks like the 1661" instead of "I want blue stitching for a 1661" type of thing.

And with other straps (ones that aren't as specific) like of its just a regular strap with nothing special happening. No need to tell or ask.

gmtring

1/8/15
Lol, everyday a new stupid question.

When you are buying underwear do you tell the shop assistant you’re heterosexual or homosexual or lesbian ?

Last edited:
Reactions: loewenzahn