• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

PAM968 Gen vs. Rep Mini Review

stufuse

Put Some Respect On My Name
22/10/17
UK
Thanks OP, interested to see more pics.
Gen just looks that little more refined (expensive, if you will)

Rufctr2

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
16/2/16
Thanks for your time and your pictures.
Now the big question :
Would you sell the gen to keep only the vsf and buy another watch ( or toys ;-) ) ?

wmux2000

7/2/15
Duloc
You're killing me. Don't make me answer that question. As I've learned painfully from you guys, there is nothing rational about this hobby...

But it does make you think...

Reactions: Rufctr2

replikmaster

I'm Pretty Popular
19/1/11
Can you upload pic of crystal on the angle.I know vsf is putting new crystals in their submersibles that doesn’t have fish eye.
i have new batch of vsf 389 with their new crystal and there is no fisheye.
Oh now I understood... the 389 and 1389 always came with correct crystals, without lens effect. I have the 389 and it's correct. I bought it more than a year ago....
All new subs vsf is using the fisheye effect, and I believe it is because they might have a huge stock eith those crystals.
All they did was to give the crystals a better internal AR.
My 799 and my 979 have fisheye crystal with improved AR.
But again, refarding the 389, 569, 1389 and others, VSF always used the non distortion crystals

Enviado de meu SM-N975F usando o Tapatalk

wmux2000

7/2/15
Duloc
Thanks for your time and your pictures.
Now the big question :
Would you sell the gen to keep only the vsf and buy another watch ( or toys ;-) ) ?

But in all honesty... the answer right now would be "no". There is something special about the gen... including where/when I acquired, how it was a hard to get piece at the time, etc. But it is nice having a little brother that I can wear around more often and not worry about banging it up.

Reactions: Rufctr2

rcom440

10/11/12
USA
Here's a shot of crystal... first one is rep and 2nd is gen. Tried to get similar angle, but you can see a different effect in the crystals.

My new vsf 389 has exactly the same crystal as that gen. Even height seems to be same.
My old vsf Bronzo had fisheye.

rcom440

10/11/12
USA
Oh now I understood... the 389 and 1389 always came with correct crystals, without lens effect. I have the 389 and it's correct. I bought it more than a year ago....
All new subs vsf is using the fisheye effect, and I believe it is because they might have a huge stock eith those crystals.
All they did was to give the crystals a better internal AR.
My 799 and my 979 have fisheye crystal with improved AR.
But again, refarding the 389, 569, 1389 and others, VSF always used the non distortion crystals

Enviado de meu SM-N975F usando o Tapatalk

They are upgrading crystals. New batch of pole to Pope doesn’t have fisheye. Other models will follow with new batches.

Virpag

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
26/3/13
Just got mine a few days ago and love the watch thank you for posting this it helps how close these reps are but yet so far but for the price I won’t complain

Good luck with the gen it’s a stunner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

wmux2000

7/2/15
Duloc
Always get compliments. And really great options for straps... I find black really brings out a nice contrast.

kkj

29/9/09
thanks for the comparison and honest feedback !

oh please do show all your strap combo pics

never hurts to have more eyecandy pics :)

stufuse

22/10/17
UK
But in all honesty... the answer right now would be "no". There is something special about the gen... including where/when I acquired, how it was a hard to get piece at the time, etc. But it is nice having a little brother that I can wear around more often and not worry about banging it up.

That is something you can never replace with a rep. if the day came they were truly 1:1 you’d still know it was just a copy and it doesn’t feel the same does it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rufctr2

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
16/2/16
Always get compliments. And really great options for straps... I find black really brings out a nice contrast.

Congrats again for the gen.

I cant buy right now the vsf as im on holiday but i will wear it with a dark navy blue leather strap. Show us your leather combination. This 968 is a beauty.

wmux2000

7/2/15
Duloc
Honestly had not tried blue leather... looks sharp!
Sv5Js.jpg

Last edited: