• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

PAM968 Gen vs. Rep Mini Review

wmux2000

7/2/15
Duloc
Hey guys... figured it was about time I could post something that could be of value, given the great information I've collected from you. Will give some thoughts on the PAM968 VSF compared to the gen. I was fortunate to acquire a gen 968 last year, and recently picked up the VSF model. Few thoughts, and I'll try to get some decent pics.

Overall build of VSF is very nice. Bronze seems well done. Key differences from what I see so far:
  • Overall size seems a bit larger (maybe 1mm or so than gen). Guessing this is due to movement. I'll try to do an exact measurement and get back.
  • Brown color of dial and bezel is slightly different than gen. Really only noticeable when side by side.
  • Lume color: very slight difference.
  • Movement: no comparison. Gen has the true 9010 movement with balance at 11. VSF has their movement at 7, similar to 9001 movement. Functions are similar with independent hour hand, date change, etc.
Here are some initial pics... gen on leather strap, rep on dive strap.

patnaboy

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/3/12
Thanks for sharing! The lume seems quite different. Gen being more brownish and vsf green.

Last edited:

wmux2000

7/2/15
Duloc
Slight difference... I'll see if I can get better pics, as well with the lume under light. One other callout: you'll notice the fonts for the lettering on the dial have a slight difference.

PolonusTM

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
24/5/10
There is a need to fill bezel 1-14 indexes with brighter paint... easy mod.

Rufctr2

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
16/2/16
Lume seams rounded on the gen and totally flat on the vsf.

Reactions: stufuse

wmux2000

7/2/15
Duloc
My pleasure... let me know if there are other specific questions. Overall, pretty impressive piece from VSF all things considered. Especially the price difference!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Rufctr2

d3s19n

Renowned Member
12/6/18
Not a PAM guy but I appreciate proper gen v rep reviews like the one you’ve conducted here. Excellent! Thank you!

wmux2000

7/2/15
Duloc
Thanks... will give additional detail as I have the time to inspect more. Some differences in the straps (no surprise there) as well, and will post photos.

wmux2000

7/2/15
Duloc
One other mention: I've seen a lot of posts regarding the "fisheye" effect on the crystal of the VSF subs. Definitely see this on the 968 when compared to gen. Will try to capture in pic if possible.

Reactions: phdsjain

KSwatches

Trusted Dealer
29/11/18
Nice review.

Biggest difference to my eyes that makes gen look prettier is the raised/domed lume in gen markers.

Reactions: stufuse

wmux2000

7/2/15
Duloc
I'll see if I can get a better picture... there is a slight dome on the rep markers, but I think it's much more pronounced in the gen due to the darker color.

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
I noticed the font is different on the 1661 too compared to gen. The gen had a thinner, crisper font than vsf. Also the color of the text looks different.

I also see the dots and dashes on the subdial look differently. But on the gen seems to use the same color as the logo on the dial. Maybe vsf did the same thing but just used a different color for thr writing, thus a different color for the subdial.

I know you said the browns look different snd I know what you mean. I've seen on other rep vs Gens how there cam be multiple blacks, many of which don't show up on pics (or look different in pics than they do irl) but the colors look very similar in the pics.

I would love to see the case and lugs together from different angles if possible. That would be great. Great post

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: johnlogan

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
That's a pretty awesome angle already. Thanks man.

rcom440

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/11/12
USA
One other mention: I've seen a lot of posts regarding the "fisheye" effect on the crystal of the VSF subs. Definitely see this on the 968 when compared to gen. Will try to capture in pic if possible.

Can you upload pic of crystal on the angle.I know vsf is putting new crystals in their submersibles that doesn’t have fish eye.
i have new batch of vsf 389 with their new crystal and there is no fisheye.

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/12/15
That's a pretty awesome angle already. Thanks man.

Im pleasantly surprised by this new VSF. It's still in my shopping bag over at PT. But like you said it's excess with things being so quiet.