• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Watch boxes - Let's see 'em, please (need polyethylene foam examples)

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
Oh wow. That's awesome. You know I've been trying to find or create a spot where I could have a hide- a-way but I can never figure it out for the situation I have.

But that would be perfect for me but maybe another project to do. But that set up is perfect for city living which is what I nee. I just have to bite the bullet and finally put together something thats more substantial.

Eta nice all in one shot too. Nice collection.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

APjumbo

Just one more
Supporter
Certified
11/1/11
Canada
I work in big industry where the pre cut foam comes in big pelican cases of test equip
I have to keep my collection squirreled away in small doses to keep the missus from being able to count them
here is one hidy hole
the cigar box houses some spare straps
one benefit to being Canadian is the Cuban cigars

Reactions: m5smg2

Hazing

9/5/19
APjumbo nice. That looks awesome. So that is just precut polyethylene foam? What size is it? 1" sections?

That looks so perfect that of I had seen that before I ordered this foam, I would have ordered that.

APjumbo

Just one more
Supporter
Certified
11/1/11
Canada
It’s the same stuff that you ordered hazing
pick n pluck
I shaved the bottom down to get the height right for the drawer, I just leave the hole there and drop the watch in. It has held up really well.
Only slight problem is I need to be careful that they are all sitting low enough, I don’t want to scratch the crystal when I close the drawer if it sits too high.

same material as you showed

Hazing

9/5/19
It’s the same stuff that you ordered hazing
pick n pluck

Oh cool. In that first pic, the squares look bigger but now that I look closer I can see the size.

I had originally got a sheet of foam to try and cap it but it didn't work out all that well. It was always off by a little bit. Not much, just enough to annoy me. So I abandoned that idea.

I had a small piece left over from a previous project that I used as a surface to paint something else with black spray paint and it came out half decent. In advertently spraying the surface. I'm tempted to pull out the foam and just give it a little spray to do something that might finish the top off.

But I don't know if this is just me not being able to leave well enough alone and doing too much to it.

Does the black look better?

c7e22584dcd2fb8605c5b15d3dbb1284.jpg
179cb14ac6c658eeb873a6147f347ea1.jpg

APjumbo

Just one more
Supporter
Certified
11/1/11
Canada
The black looks better
Nice job
I would only worry that the paint would somehow rub off into a leather strap or something.
If you paint the top side and it doesn’t work out maybe you could just flip the whole thing over and go back to grey

Hazing

9/5/19
Well I got enough to make it again if I had to. I needed a piece 22" x 10.5". And I had to get a 24"x24" sheet so I have plenty left over.

I'm trying to experiment with sizes of the compartments and spacing mostly.

I'm also worried about the same thing - or just it flaking and coming off. That is why I sprayed that sheet and I'm handing it and squeezing it to make sure it doesn't come off. I'll test it out over the next few days to be sure. I'm squeezing it like a stress ball to make sure it doesn't flake.

APjumbo

Just one more
Supporter
Certified
11/1/11
Canada
I was contemplating selling a bunch of cheapies lately but found this old gas test case lying around.
Threw in some extra foam, going to store them in here out of sight of the old lady.

Let the hoarding continue

Reactions: KOT1917

Synicsel

Looking Around
15/1/24
Totally get your struggle with finding the right polyethylene foam for your watch box project. It can be a bit of a puzzle to get that perfect fit without breaking the bank.

Synicsel

Looking Around
15/1/24
Totally get your struggle with finding the right polyethylene foam for your watch box project. It can be a bit of a puzzle to get that perfect fit without breaking the bank.
I remember seeing some cool watch boxes with that gridded polyethylene foam in the past. It's a smart choice for keeping your timepieces safe and organized.

Synicsel

Looking Around
15/1/24
I remember seeing some cool watch boxes with that gridded polyethylene foam in the past. It's a smart choice for keeping your timepieces safe and organized.
If you ever want to explore something different, I recently came across some interesting info about PET plastic. It's all about recycling and sustainability, which is pretty rad these days. You can check it out here at https://wkaiglobal.com/pages/bottle-grade-pet