• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

PAM1055... How is this one?

Mrpong

15/9/19
I like it green dial but It seems not much popular. How close to gen is it? Any comment?
wPPQE.jpg

Last edited:

jonnybaws

I'm Pretty Popular
30/5/14
Not seen the Gen, but I really like the Rep! Very well made!

superspark69

Put Some Respect On My Name
Certified
22/10/18
Sheffield, UK
the 42mm subs look awesome and are really well made however they all suffer from the same issues compared to the gen, namely -

- too thick
- Case shape wrong
- Fisheye effect on the lens, gen doesn't have this.
- wrong movement (reps are using the p9000 clone, whereas they would have been better using the 7750 as the gen doesn't have the functions of the clone movements. plus they may have been able to get the thickness correct with the 7750.

I wish the factories could release a v2 of these and correct the issues as they really are a lovely looking watch and wear really well.

Last edited:

Mrpong

15/9/19
the 42mm subs look awesome and are really well made however they all suffer from the same issues compared to the gen, namely -

- too thick
- Case shape wrong
- wrong movement (reps are using the p9000 clone, whereas they would have been better using the 7750 as the gen doesn't have the functions of the clone movements. plus they may have been able to get the thickness correct with the 7750.

I wish the factories could release a v2 of these and correct the issues as they really are a lovely looking watch and wear really well.

Thanks. Does this mean that all 42 submersible rep are off?

Daytona Hoarder
Patron
Certified
6/6/19
USA

- too thick
- Case shape wrong

Is there a difference between the p.900 clone in this watch and the p.9010 in the other submersibles, like the pam683.

I'm also struggling to see where they got the case shape wrong, sorry im new at Panerias :)

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
Is there a difference between the p.900 clone in this watch and the p.9010 in the other submersibles, like the pam683.

I'm also struggling to see where they got the case shape wrong, sorry im new at Panerias :)

There is no difference. The factory simply changed the printing on the movement to say "P.9010" or "P.900" on the P.9000 superclone movement. In fact the factory was so lazy, they kept the 31 JEWELS from the P.9000 even though the P.900 is a 25 JEWEL movement.

Case shape is affected by the movement used. While the general shape is similar (it still looks like the typical submersible profile), the fact that the rep uses a clone of a 7.9mm movement instead of a clone of a 4.2mm one would impact the proportions of the case.

Daytona Hoarder
Patron
Certified
6/6/19
USA
There is no difference. The factory simply changed the printing on the movement to say "P.9010" or "P.900" on the P.9000 superclone movement. In fact the factory was so lazy, they kept the 31 JEWELS from the P.9000 even though the P.900 is a 25 JEWEL movement.

Case shape is affected by the movement used. While the general shape is similar (it still looks like the typical submersible profile), the fact that the rep uses a clone of a 7.9mm movement instead of a clone of a 4.2mm one would impact the proportions of the case.

Okay, now i understand :) The info on the Gen i could find online is that the case is 14.37mm thick, and this rep is 14.50mm. Where does the case size differate?

From what i've gathered so far:

Case size difference?
Crystal has a slight fisheye from extreme angles.
And the CP is wrong.. Still not 100% sure what that is :) But from what i understand its the pin size in the center where the hands are mounted.
Did anyone do a side by side with a gen to check if the green color is a match?

Sorry for the probably stupid question, but it's really hard to find information on this particular model. And i'm a Rolex guy, so this is new territory for me. But before i buy a rep, i really wanna understand the flaws, to make sure i can live with them, and make a decision if i need to mod with gen parts :)

I went to my local AD today to try on the Black model. I like the way it sits on the wrist, and not overly big compared to my Subs

Thanks for the help, i really appreciate it

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
Okay, now i understand :) The info on the Gen i could find online is that the case is 14.37mm thick, and this rep is 14.50mm. Where does the case size differate?

From what i've gathered so far:

Case size difference?
Crystal has a slight fisheye from extreme angles.
And the CP is wrong.. Still not 100% sure what that is :) But from what i understand its the pin size in the center where the hands are mounted.
Did anyone do a side by side with a gen to check if the green color is a match?

Sorry for the probably stupid question, but it's really hard to find information on this particular model. And i'm a Rolex guy, so this is new territory for me. But before i buy a rep, i really wanna understand the flaws, to make sure i can live with them, and make a decision if i need to mod with gen parts :)

I went to my local AD today to try on the Black model. I like the way it sits on the wrist, and not overly big compared to my Subs

Thanks for the help, i really appreciate it

I have not seen the thickness confirmed in any Panerai website (and I did not see an actual measurement picture on the website where you got that very specific measurement). So let's set that aside for now.

With regards to the cannon pinion, yes you are correct. If you compare with pictures of the gen. the pin size on the rep is very big, immediately easy to spot.

No one did a side by side with the gen (which could not only answer the dial color question but also the thickness/shape one). The factory did not do one, and nobody is that foolish (or stupid) to wear a rep into an AD and compare it with the gen side by side.

The 42mm with that reported thickness should not feel out of proportion compared to a submariner which is 38mm and 13mm thick. Since you were there, maybe you could have asked regarding the thickness as you were concerned about the watch fitting under your sleeve or something.

Daytona Hoarder
Patron
Certified
6/6/19
USA
I have not seen the thickness confirmed in any Panerai website (and I did not see an actual measurement picture on the website where you got that very specific measurement). So let's set that aside for now.

With regards to the cannon pinion, yes you are correct. If you compare with pictures of the gen. the pin size on the rep is very big, immediately easy to spot.

No one did a side by side with the gen (which could not only answer the dial color question but also the thickness/shape one). The factory did not do one, and nobody is that foolish (or stupid) to wear a rep into an AD and compare it with the gen side by side.

The 42mm with that reported thickness should not feel out of proportion compared to a submariner which is 38mm and 13mm thick. Since you were there, maybe you could have asked regarding the thickness as you were concerned about the watch fitting under your sleeve or something.

A quick google search gave me that number on 3 different pages, so I’m thinking it’s correct :) Here is one of them: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/the-panerai-submersible-verde-militare-42mm-with-live-pics

guess I’m used to the factory compare pics from the Rolex reps :) Or maybe someone here had a gen. Either way, with only 500 in the world, odds are you not gonna sit next to a guy with a gen...

overall, it sounds like the flaws on this one is pretty nonexistent, and I don’t think the CP is gonna bother me. I’ll give this one a go

thanks for your help,:)

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
A quick google search gave me that number on 3 different pages, so I’m thinking it’s correct :) Here is one of them: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/the-panerai-submersible-verde-militare-42mm-with-live-pics

guess I’m used to the factory compare pics from the Rolex reps :) Or maybe someone here had a gen. Either way, with only 500 in the world, odds are you not gonna sit next to a guy with a gen...

overall, it sounds like the flaws on this one is pretty nonexistent, and I don’t think the CP is gonna bother me. I’ll give this one a go

thanks for your help,:)

My opinion is that since VSF had released 42mm submersibles before, instead of asking the case maker for a new design (which means they have to pay them more money), they just asked the case maker to re-use the existing molds to make the PAM1055.

Sometimes the factory does make rep vs gen comparison pictures/videos but as this is technically not something completely new (and the factory probably did not actually purchase a gen watch for this release which is another reason the design was not copied 1:1), the factory opted not to do such a comparison.

In the end, after all is said and done, what's important is how do YOU like it? If you like it, go out and buy it and see for yourself. Some of us are probably jaded with our exposure to better replicas so we're not as forgiving as members just trying out the brand for the first time. Enjoy your first PAM. :)

superspark69

Certified
22/10/18
Sheffield, UK
Today I got a confirmation from a owner of a gen 1055, and indeed the thickness is 14,4mm. So there is no difference

There’s going to have to be some evidence of gen case size thickness like side by side pics, I don’t think there will be much in it tbh, who can really notice a mm. doesn’t have to be the 1055, any new 42mm version will be fine. The problem lies with the shape of the case where the lugs meet the case and the general cushion shape too as the new 42mm is different from the older and it appears the rep factories have used the older case.

biggest bug bear for me on the 42mm subs was the crystal and cannon pinion. Anything that is a tell on the face of a watch.

however it’s a great watch and I’m sure you will like it.

Reactions: 2841

peter4ptv

14/5/20
L. A.

- too thick
- Case shape wrong

Do you consider 0.5 mm difference from genuine to tick?
this 1055 do not have the fish eye
can you please explain about what is exactly wrong with the case, I am really new to all this and do not see many thinks the pros are seeing.
is this movement the 9000 with one zero less?
thank you, I was thinking to getting this watch but maybe not if there is so many problems.

Daytona Hoarder
Patron
Certified
6/6/19
USA
Do you consider 0.5 mm difference from genuine to tick?
this 1055 do not have the fish eye
can you please explain about what is exactly wrong with the case, I am really new to all this and do not see many thinks the pros are seeing.
is this movement the 9000 with one zero less?
thank you, I was thinking to getting this watch but maybe not if there is so many problems.

There is no difference in thickness. They are the same.

Reactions: Snil

superspark69

Certified
22/10/18
Sheffield, UK
i don't get than what exactly is wrong with the case to me from photos they look identical

They have a different cushion shape to gen (gen is squarer) and the area that the lugs meet the case is different, the lugs are different, There is quite a few things in actuality. The problem is we have been treated to some amazing Pam reps in the past and it’s sometimes hard to compare these new one with the old super reps.

if you like it, buy it. It’s still a great watch.

Last edited:

peter4ptv

14/5/20
L. A.
They have a different cushion shape to gen (gen is squarer) and the area that the lugs meet the case is different, the lugs are different, There is quite a few things in actuality. The problem is we have been treated to some amazing Pam reps in the past and it’s sometimes hard to compare these new one with the old super reps.

if you like it, buy it. It’s still a great watch.

Thank you, I already did for me looks nice.