• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Panerai - Stallone story as we know it was BS?

Yellobird

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/15

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
Interesting. But the story we know doesn’t surprise me as it’s not really the first time a story has been simplified and romanticized for publicity’s sake. Because the actual story sounds more like an endorsement than a chance discovery where he got bit by the bug.

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
Nice find OP. I come away thinking that I should have known this, but I think I wanted to believe the fairy tale haha.

SRower003

18/11/09

I found mine here! I didn't even have to go to Italy! No way I'm buying them for my friends! :D

mskwatch

I'm Pretty Popular
12/3/15
EU
Nice find OP. I come away thinking that I should have known this, but I think I wanted to believe the fairy tale haha.

if you start reading perezcope website it will destroy many myths, so be careful

Natas78

Trusted Watchmaker
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
21/8/11
EU
His articles are good, but do read up on the man himself, there are articles on homage forum

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk Pro

Yellobird

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/15
His articles are good, but do read up on the man himself, there are articles on homage forum

Yes, I remember there was some controversy around him like 2-3 years ago? When he claimed that lots of watches auctioned were fake or frankens.

Natas78

Trusted Watchmaker
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
21/8/11
EU

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19

I found mine here! I didn't even have to go to Italy! No way I'm buying them for my friends! :D
Apparently, he never paid for a single (of the 64 Panerai he got) one of them. According to the article "he didn't feel the need". Lol.

If someone gave me 64, I would give some away. Especially if you give me 30+ of the same model.

And apparently those 30+ were intended to be gifts for people who worked on the movie.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
Given this story (and under the assumption it’s true) I wonder what happened to rekindle the relationship for the Expendables movies?

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Reactions: johnlogan

Yellobird

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/15
Given this story (and under the assumption it’s true) I wonder what happened to rekindle the relationship for the Expendables movies?

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Panerai was then long owned by Richmont and this company actually made money on the hollywood stars affiliation. You did not read carefully ;)

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
Panerai was then long owned by Richmont and this company actually made money on the hollywood stars affiliation. You did not read carefully ;)

I was hoping it was not that simple, but you’re correct: Richemont has the ways and means to make it attractive for all parties. For some reason I was imagining Sly in his yellow Diablo II day-dreaming about the love lost with Panerai while he chucked his Montegrappa pens, cuff links and watches out the window and begged OP to take him back and that it was all a huge mistake.

I think my old lady has me watching too many RomComs during this pandemic ...

Sent from the RWI mobile app

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
I'm curious, can you share something or PM?

He was very well known for being an HF member who was involved in a project regarding the production of movement bridges that could convert cortebert movements into rolex 618.
then all of a sudden he turned against the project and forum, denying his involvement, and started to share his investigations on vintage watches on 'Risti. It all went well until he decided to put in doubt Ehlers and Wiegmann's reputation (they're the guys who wrote the vintage Panerai books - a bible essentially) and as it was not enough he also questioned authenticity of one of the most famous 6154, owned by one of the most known and respected paneristi members.
At that point his real identity was exposed and he rejected his link to the homage community and focused on his nice website.
Lately he put up a crusade against the Rinaldi's and a well known vintage rolex opinionist (I think his name was ocho-something). The two guys went very low in their exposing each other, a disgusting show that included private life pics.

All in all his investigations are interesting but his findings are to be taken with a grain of salt. The guy has no respect for others and deserve the same imho

pimsis

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/15
Yes, I remember there was some controversy around him like 2-3 years ago? When he claimed that lots of watches auctioned were fake or frankens.

Yeah, I remember that too. I’m quite the Perezcope-enthusiast. Mostly Sotheby’s (and Christies too if I recall correctly) were selling fakes to the rich. I’ve read a story about an auction house in Monaco selling a fake Daytona even after Perezcope emailed them that they’re selling a fake. It’s freaking unbelievable!

Also, I saw a Panerai Slytech Daylight (white dial, blue markers) being reviewed by Tim from Watchbox or WatchuWant (whatever) which was a complete fake (wrote in the comments by Perezcope). Incredible.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

rcom440

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/11/12
USA
Also, I saw a Panerai Slytech Daylight (white dial, blue markers) being reviewed by Tim from Watchbox or WatchuWant (whatever) which was a complete fake (wrote in the comments by Perezcope). Incredible.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

you mean the one with wrong case back?
they actually had a couple of fake pams on their webpage a year ago. When I emailed them about it they didn’t responded and kept those two fake watches on their webpage.