• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Buckle's with submarines on only for Pam sub models?

Donkey69

Supporter
Certified
31/12/16
UK
Hey guys,

I want your thoughts on what's right and wrong to pair with Panerai with regards to buckle's/straps.

Is it a complete no no to run a strap with a sub buckle on a base 44mm Pam? (Non sub)
Similarly, pre-v buckle's, I understand the history of Panerai and the pre vendome models but do people still swap buckle's between modern model variants?

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but the sub and pre-v buckle's are wider at 24mm with no taper whereas newer pin buckle's and deplo clasps are 22mm?

I personally prefer the more chunky non tapered 24/24 straps but love the base pam case shape.

Just don't want to feel like I'm walking around wearing Bermuda shorts with a tux jacket. Haha

Happy holidays Pam lovers

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
Like superspark said... it’s all about what you like. I make choices based only on what I like the look and feel of. What comes with the watch or “what you’re supposed to do” don’t factor into my decision making at all.

If if I was building a piece and trying to build it in a “historically accurate way” then I could see staying close to tradition but other than that, it’s all about what I like.

aaa_bda

Known Member
26/6/19
Hey guys,

I want your thoughts on what's right and wrong to pair with Panerai with regards to buckle's/straps.

Is it a complete no no to run a strap with a sub buckle on a base 44mm Pam? (Non sub)
Similarly, pre-v buckle's, I understand the history of Panerai and the pre vendome models but do people still swap buckle's between modern model variants?

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but the sub and pre-v buckle's are wider at 24mm with no taper whereas newer pin buckle's and deplo clasps are 22mm?

I personally prefer the more chunky non tapered 24/24 straps but love the base pam case shape.

Just don't want to feel like I'm walking around wearing Bermuda shorts with a tux jacket. Haha

Happy holidays Pam lovers

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

You mean something like this? ;)

I live in Bermuda and although that attire is fairly common amongst local business man I just can't subscribe to that.

I would go with whatever you like, unless you're trying to go after a specific gen historically accurate model as Hazing said.

Cheers,

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
But then submarine buckles aren't historically accurate either as they were never issued for submersible models. So it just "looks" to match with a submersible but there is no historical basis for it. Wear what you like. When asked, just tell them you like the look of the buckle. That should be enough for most people.

Reactions: johnlogan