• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Carbotech Color wears off after few months?

ddv21

Horology Curious
24/12/18
Hello!

This is my first post so I’m not sure if I’m doing this correctly but I hope y’all can forgive me.

I wanted to pull the trigger on the new PAM960 from VSF so the 42mm Carbotech.
After a guy on reddit posted this exact watch but in 47mm a comment said that the Color on the Carbotech and the hour markers in blue etc will lose their color. He also said that it happened after only 3 months and posted a picture where the blueish details were completely gone.

Do some of you have similar experiences and would you with that in mind still consider the PAM960 as an option for me to buy my first Panerai rep?

Thank you :)

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
Hello!

This is my first post so I’m not sure if I’m doing this correctly but I hope y’all can forgive me.

I wanted to pull the trigger on the new PAM960 from VSF so the 42mm Carbotech.
After a guy on reddit posted this exact watch but in 47mm a comment said that the Color on the Carbotech and the hour markers in blue etc will lose their color. He also said that it happened after only 3 months and posted a picture where the blueish details were completely gone.

Do some of you have similar experiences and would you with that in mind still consider the PAM960 as an option for me to buy my first Panerai rep?

Thank you :)

Where is that alleged reddit post? Had the original 616 and 661. I sold the 616 to a friend a year ago but so far no complaints about anything.By the way, Carbotech is the material itself, it won't lose color because that's how the material looks. So especially curious as to that reddit claim.

preppyr6

I'm Pretty Popular
29/10/15
BAN THIS GUY!

jk...

Also curious for the reddit link since Im waiting on delivery of my 960

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
That's weird. The PAM616 has no blue markers on the bezel. Though it does look he has the PAM616.

ddv21

Horology Curious
24/12/18
It is you are right, but his model still had some kind of Color on the Carbotech and it went off pretty quickly. So I am a bit concerned it would happen on the 960 too..

airbowatch

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/6/19
Having been wearing my 960 everyday so far for over a week now. He must be the first to suffer from this strange claim as I haven’t seen a single complaint before

Reactions: Therion666

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
It might be a less expensive rep because I saw someone post that the crown on their model was “chipping” but it certa8nly wasn’t the best version. Ask which dealer he got it from. It might not even from on of the tds here.

ddv21

Horology Curious
24/12/18
I hope that’s it a non td watch. I think I will get it and hope it will keep its color

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
I hope that’s it a non td watch. I think I will get it and hope it will keep its color

Unless you expose the watch to environments where the elements can contact the paint on the bezel, that is highly unlikely. None of the bezel paint on any of the few subs that I own have faded.

Neon

23/10/12
🇺🇸

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/12/15
I have a similar issue with my VRF v2. I had to do a paint mod on mine.

Neon

23/10/12
🇺🇸
The carbotech on the good reps are esentially Carbotech, sheets of carbon fiber compressed with a high strength polymer polyether ether ketone (PEEK).
Didn’t realize the reps had the right material. Guess I’ll add one to my list.

TheSacredSoul

You're Saying I Can Sell?
25/6/19
I wanted to get the 960 as well and I saw the same post on Reddit about the blue color on the bezel completely vanishing after 3 months. Looking at the 438 now.