• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Noisy 904, what can I do?

ymee

You're Saying I Can Sell?
1/10/19
Just got a pam904 yesterday and can hear the rotor mechanism when I shake it. What have people done to quiet it a bit? Can I just take it to a watch service guy and have him oil it or are there other options?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
The watchmaker would know what's best to do with the noise issue. Although it is usually the lubrication, it can be any other number of things.

Nivka

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/4/15
Australia
I have the same issue. I’m happy to oil the rotor bearings, but I can’t get the damn caseback off! Is there a pam tool that is specific for this 42mm watch, or will any luminor caseback tool do?

Matte.s

Horology Curious
21/11/19
I just got my VSF Pam904 and it sounds awful, almost like it's broken. Have anyone solved the problem?
When I scratch my head people around me here the watch.

Reactions: Blshh

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
I have the same issue. I’m happy to oil the rotor bearings, but I can’t get the damn caseback off! Is there a pam tool that is specific for this 42mm watch, or will any luminor caseback tool do?

You can buy one for like 6 bucks on Ebay but it takes a long time to ship under normal circumstances. If you have a 3d printer you can make one. If you need the file, I can send it to you.

ETA: Sorry - didn't realize this was an old thread.

Last edited:

Nivka

10/4/15
Australia
You can buy one for like 6 bucks on Ebay but it takes a long time to ship under normal circumstances. If you have a 3d printer you can make one. If you need the file, I can send it to you.

ETA: Sorry - didn't realize this was an old thread.

Thanks, mate. It ended up not being a screw down case back anyway!

Matte.s

Horology Curious
21/11/19
Yep. A tiny dot of d5 oil and it‘s quiet as a mouse now

Perfect, I will try to find d5 oil and fix mine to. Was it a snap-off caseback or did I misunderstood an earlier answer?

Nivka

10/4/15
Australia
There’s a faux micover in the centre. Once that comes off, there are three tube screws that can be removed (carefully!)

Edit*** actually I’m thinking about the miyota in my old BP nautilus. I can’t recall how it’s attached in the pam904

Last edited:

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
I cannot for the life of me get my caseback off. It sounds like you were successful. Do you have any tips?

Rubber ball, duct tape ball or one of those adjustable caseback removers (or a PAM specific one). You'll need the latter to re-fasten the caseback.

CaptainSplash

I'm Pretty Popular
11/8/19
I ended up using a shifter wrench!
ooh man happy that worked for you.... yeah, let's not advertise that.... :D :D

Duct tape ball has worked for me in every case (see what I did there... :p)

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Nivka

10/4/15
Australia
ooh man happy that worked for you.... yeah, let's not advertise that.... :D :D

Duct tape ball has worked for me in every case (see what I did there... :p)

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

I tried and tried, but couldn’t get it with the sticky ball. The problem is this one isn’t a screw down - it’s snap lock. So I don’t think the tape would work in this case

TheChachi

10/9/18
Rubber ball, duct tape ball or one of those adjustable caseback removers (or a PAM specific one). You'll need the latter to re-fasten the caseback.

I have tried the rubber ball trick but no luck. I will try the duct tape ball this weekend

Flinnt

Known Member
31/5/19
Downunder
Okay you guys have me confused now.

I’m thinking of buying one of these and thus reading about it.

It seems people are saying this is not a screw down case, but then discuss other ways to remove screw down casebacks, and tools for spinning the caseback. If it’s a snap on caseback then no amount of spinning it is going to get it off.

So please can someone clarify is it snap on or screw down?