• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

PAM1616 released

QuirkyOrc

You're Saying I Can Sell?
25/12/19
You can get them from the Pam store on Bond Street in London, also online...

Yay, I just placed my order with TD Sead for the PAM1616. Hopefully it will arrive in a few days as it is already in the UK.

I have been trying to find this strap on the Panerai website, but can't see it. Lots of the straps don't have pictures, so maybe it is one of those. Does anyone know the name of this strap to help narrow down the search ?

Also, just curious, what would likely happen if you went into a Panerai dealer to buy the strap. I guess you couldn't allow them to see your watch as they may confiscate it ? That would be gut wrenching. Has anyone been brave enough too try ?

Cheers

QuirkyOrc

25/12/19
Yay, I just placed my order with TD Sead for the PAM1616. Hopefully it will arrive in a few days as it is already in the UK.

I have been trying to find this strap on the Panerai website, but can't see it. Lots of the straps don't have pictures, so maybe it is one of those. Does anyone know the name of this strap to help narrow down the search ?

Also, just curious, what would likely happen if you went into a Panerai dealer to buy the strap. I guess you couldn't allow them to see your watch as they may confiscate it ? That would be gut wrenching. Has anyone been brave enough too try ?

Cheers

A quick update. The service from TD Sead (Supermirrors) has been amazing again. I paid for the watch on Sunday evening, and the PAM1616 was delivered to me on Thursday. Can't ask for better service than that.

Really pleased with the watch is most aspects apart from the strap. I have never held the GEN, so I don't know how that would feel, but the replica is a little stiff, I have more comfortable Casio straps ! I know it is a replica, but I will definitely have to replace it. For those who have this watch, can I ask a couple of questions....

1) How does the replica strap compare with the Gen ?
2) Has anyone successfully waterproofed this VSF PAM1616 ? I am not looking to take it diving, but swimming would be good.

Cheers

Last edited:

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
1. The replica strap is passable. Of course, not as good as the gen but considering the cost, it's value for money.
2. I've never had mine waterproofed but I have gone swimming in the ocean with a few subs and they've fared fine. But to be sure, you should just go to a rep-friendly (or indifferent) watchmaker and have your watch waterproofed.

QuirkyOrc

25/12/19
I watched a video earlier on how to change a strap on Panerai, saw it needed a special tool, so ordered one off ebay.

I was just about to order a leather strap from Toshi Straps, when I thought, better just check my watch to make sure I know how to do it, when I realised the strap retainer is different to what I saw on the video. There isn't the vertical hole to release the spring clip.

Is it a case of just pushing out the pin which holds the strap in place ? It looks microscopic !!!!

Many thanks

QuirkyOrc

25/12/19
Oh shit !!!!

I was sat in the car and decided to have a look under the strap end. The spring bar came out and fell into the runner on the car seat. No way I am ever going to get that back.

Good news is that I know how to change the strap. Bad news is I can’t wear my stunning Panerai until I get hold of new spring bars !!!!

Thanks for the info though, very helpful.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

mdg89

Horology Curious
3/3/14
As of today- now the proud owner of a 1616... Have a few observations:

1. The lume is correct now, but really really weak. Does anyone have any recommendations on who to go to in UK to relume it?
2. The rotor is really loud, much louder than anything I've had before.
3. The crown in the 1st position doesn't change the date on mine, it changes the hour hand! Which is pretty odd. Will have to send it to be fixed.
4. Date change is slow, but apparently also is on the gen.
5. The back cover is quite loose- I've tightened it as much as possible, but think it will need greasing and putting on again with a tool.

It is however, an awesome watch- just needs a bit of TLC I think. Strap also not bad, but probs will put a gen on for 120.

QuirkyOrc

25/12/19
As of today- now the proud owner of a 1616... Have a few observations:

1. The lume is correct now, but really really weak. Does anyone have any recommendations on who to go to in UK to relume it?
2. The rotor is really loud, much louder than anything I've had before.
3. The crown in the 1st position doesn't change the date on mine, it changes the hour hand! Which is pretty odd. Will have to send it to be fixed.
4. Date change is slow, but apparently also is on the gen.
5. The back cover is quite loose- I've tightened it as much as possible, but think it will need greasing and putting on again with a tool.

It is however, an awesome watch- just needs a bit of TLC I think. Strap also not bad, but probs will put a gen on for 120.

Hi mdg89,

I am certainly no expert, but I have had mine now for a few days.

1) Can't comment about the lume, mine also isn't very bright but I don't have any reference point.
2) Rotor noise is fine on mine, don't notice any noise whilst wearing it, only when I hold it to my ear.
3) Mine is the same, I assumed you change the date by moving the hour hand, which is quicker than moving the minute hand. I assumed this was the same as gen ?
4) Same, but OK
5) No looseness on mine. Bought from super mirrors, but would have come from the same factory.

Hopefully someone with more experience will come and update us.

Cheers

QuirkyOrc

25/12/19
Hi mdg89,

I am certainly no expert, but I have had mine now for a few days.

1) Can't comment about the lume, mine also isn't very bright but I don't have any reference point.
2) Rotor noise is fine on mine, don't notice any noise whilst wearing it, only when I hold it to my ear.
3) Mine is the same, I assumed you change the date by moving the hour hand, which is quicker than moving the minute hand. I assumed this was the same as gen ?
4) Same, but OK
5) No looseness on mine. Bought from super mirrors, but would have come from the same factory.

Hopefully someone with more experience will come and update us.

Cheers

Hmm,

Reference the rotor noise. I now know what you mean. I compared it with the Rolex Datejust i have. The Rolex is virtually silent, the Panerai is much louder. Not a problem but i guess this is one of those tells between a GEN & REP.

Sent from the RWI App

mdg89

Horology Curious
3/3/14
Bit more digging, and apparently thats how the date change is done on the Gen. Which seems a bit mad, but..!

Back to the lume question- anybody got a good guy in the UK who can do that?

M

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
I know the lume, to look at it isn't that "bright" but it is strong. I was away a few weeks ago and just brought one watch with me so I had it on the end table in the hotel and I'd lift my head at 3 or 4 am and the lume was visible in the otherwise dark room.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mdg89

Horology Curious
3/3/14
I know the lume, to look at it isn't that "bright" but it is strong. I was away a few weeks ago and just brought one watch with me so I had it on the end table in the hotel and I'd lift my head at 3 or 4 am and the lume was visible in the otherwise dark room.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Hmm- mine isn't quite like that, its both not bright and weak... won't seem to 'charge' up at all. I think it really does need a relume by someone who can!

350z

15/10/09
Hopefully they fix the logo on the strap. Its hard to believe they got this watch so perfect but they can't get the strap nailed down.

Phoenixboy

I'm Pretty Popular
30/5/19
Devon
I have a 1616 incoming from InTime and if the bracelet is bad I’m mulling over this Kevlar strap from Puretime:

https://puretimewatch.io/panerai-new-26-24-kevlar-diving-strap-with-ss-buckle.html

I figure since it doesn’t seem I can get my paws on the blue stitched textile strap that comes with the gen, this is the next best thing.

I wouldn't spend that on a rep strap.
depends on what you want, but you can buy the gen rubber strap from panerai for £120.00.
you can use the rep buckle, but in my experience, most rep straps are average at best, and some are only good for the rubbish bin....