• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

VSF PAM979 new release

NaecoSea

Horology Curious
28/3/12
Out of curiosity for those who have one in hand how bad is the rotor sound?

GingerBubba

SUPERLATIVE SUPPORTER I'm an angel
24/10/17
Out of curiosity for those who have one in hand how bad is the rotor sound?

Mine is pretty bad depending on the arm movement. If the rotor rotates in the winding direction, it's fine. However it rotates without any resistance whatsoever in the other direction and that's when it gets noisy. It's like a fecking fidget spinner when rotating without resistance.

Last edited:

NaecoSea

Horology Curious
28/3/12
????????????????????????

yeah that's what I was worried about other than the size. I got a 572 and couldn't stand it because the microrotor sounded like it was trying to take off from my wrist

PolonusTM

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
24/5/10
a drop of D-5 on the rotor makes it nice and quiet

true, just did it and now it is almost silence.

...back to another topic - I think there are TWO versions of indexes in gen - grey and almost white. Despite some photos where cameras' AI tried to do something "better" with image - there are videos. Check these ones - surely both watches are 100% genuine:

grey indexes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFd9q9ut5Xo

almost white indexes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_smh1nVmgQ

I think "there is something" in this theory.

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
true, just did it and now it is almost silence.

...back to another topic - I think there are TWO versions of indexes in gen - grey and almost white. Despite some photos where cameras' AI tried to do something "better" with image - there are videos. Check these ones - surely both watches are 100% genuine:

grey indexes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFd9q9ut5Xo

almost white indexes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_smh1nVmgQ

I think "there is something" in this theory.

I recognize the first channel, but the second one is a Chinese guy, are we sure he's not just showing the upcoming rep? :lol: But I think it's also the gen. I noticed something on the two videos. The greyish indexes are on the watch from SIHH2019, the whitish indexes are from later, based on the date posted. And since Panerai is notorious for changing details from when it showed the prototype to the actual release sample, it's conceivable that the greyish indexes might only be available on the prototype, and that the production models are more whitish.

dadog13

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
15/3/06
I recognize the first channel, but the second one is a Chinese guy, are we sure he's not just showing the upcoming rep? :lol: But I think it's also the gen. I noticed something on the two videos. The greyish indexes are on the watch from SIHH2019, the whitish indexes are from later, based on the date posted. And since Panerai is notorious for changing details from when it showed the prototype to the actual release sample, it's conceivable that the greyish indexes might only be available on the prototype, and that the production models are more whitish.

Still some members confirmed once handling the watch in an AD (gen) that the indexes are greyish (doubt that ADs have prototypes only for handling, looking at). I took a look over at IG and there are both greyish and white (what appears to be gen) indexes PAM979. There are some reps tagged but you still recognize the seller being a chinese IG dealer

superspark69

Put Some Respect On My Name
Certified
22/10/18
Sheffield, UK

Yes but I’ve had the Gen in my hands and was definitely more grey than the vsf

PolonusTM

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
24/5/10
It is easy to recognize gen vs rep on videos: on gen 15,30 & 45 indexes are chrome paint (mirror effect) rather than almost white metallic paint on rep.

Last edited:

PolonusTM

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
24/5/10
Yes but I’ve had the Gen in my hands and was definitely more grey than the vsf

The idea is that it might be true that prototypes and “first wave” of 979 is grayish while the newer batches can be more white. Looking white is official on Panerai site, right?

stockwatch

18/10/15
Any way to get more pic of watches with out water marks ?

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

SamBarker

You're Saying I Can Sell?
3/1/19
Damn that looks slick! Black & stealthy.. maybe should be my first PAM?

Skickat från min iPhone med RWI

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
I thought these were sold out?

Yes, TDs say they are sold out. dadog13 bought the watch a month ago, he actually started the thread when his dealer sent him the pictures of the rep. The watch most likely was just delayed in arriving to him (or he forgot about it since he bought so many PAMs :lol: ).

Reactions: Jayfabs

colorao01

10/3/10
If you zoom into the guard it looks like it’s not finished well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I received my watch, it's a fantastic watch, but I see my unit have same problem, the GC not is finished well. I see many Qc of diferent dealers and see many watches have the same failure the crown guard look off and the stripes don't look.

colorao01

10/3/10
Look
9c4dc680caf218c31e0f30b7564678a2.jpg

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk