• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

PAM 416 Carbotech from XF Factory, Good or Bad?

kobexu

You're Saying I Can Sell?
23/5/19
Fantasy watch for sure. I own a couple of them, they are lightweight and durable so I wear them when I am doing yard work etc. but not good for much else. I plan to convert one of them into a 44mm LAB-ID fantasy watch soon, planning to have a custom dial made.

Toro Bravo has them on special for $149:

http://www.trb88.club/index.php?route=product/product&path=35_52&product_id=2986

Thank you for the input! Any issue with reliability for the movement? Also does Toro accept Paypal?

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
Thank you for the input! Any issue with reliability for the movement? Also does Toro accept Paypal?

Please ask toro that question. No one here can speak for him. Even if they were granted PayPal access, that may or may not apply to you.

slashFAslash

21/7/18
I have ordered the 416 today from Toro, can update in the thread when I receive my QC pics or I have it in hand. Will make for a nice summer watch with a tan colored croc strap.
Btw he doesn't take Paypal for new customers but sending the money through Western Union is really easy too and he gave me a 10% discount.

Last edited:

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
I have ordered the 416 today from Toro, can update in the thread when I receive my QC pics or I have it in hand. Will make for a nice summer watch with a tan colored croc strap.
Btw he doesn't take Paypal for new customers but sending the money through Western Union is really easy too and he gave me a 10% discount.

The discount comes really handy when faced with the WU fees (which is probably why there is a discount in the first place). Take pictures of the watch when you get it.

slashFAslash

21/7/18
Got the QC pics one day after paying, which was really fast. Already approved so just posting them for you guys to see.
VYuUpq.jpg

VYuQXp.jpg

VYuJwG.jpg

Also ordered this strap from Ziczac to go with the watch:
VYucxs.png

kobexu

You're Saying I Can Sell?
23/5/19
Got the QC pics one day after paying, which was really fast. Already approved so just posting them for you guys to see.
VYuUpq.jpg

VYuQXp.jpg

VYuJwG.jpg

Also ordered this strap from Ziczac to go with the watch:
VYucxs.png

Appreciate the QC pics, it looks really clean, making me regret not getting it along with my other order with TT.

KOT1917

Put Some Respect On My Name
26/7/19
Russian federation
Looks very cool! How are they by weight, relative to steel luminor of the same size? The difference is noticeable, or about the same thing?

slashFAslash

21/7/18
Looks very cool! How are they by weight, relative to steel luminor of the same size? The difference is noticeable, or about the same thing?

It's my first PAM so I dont know but I put it on a scale and its 108grams including the strap. I bet the steel models are heavier because of the case etc.

My watch was also magnetized when I received it since it was gaining multiple minutes per hour but after demagnetizing it and regulating it it is now at +5sec/day which is great!

KOT1917

26/7/19
Russian federation
It's my first PAM so I dont know but I put it on a scale and its 108grams including the strap. I bet the steel models are heavier because of the case etc.

My watch was also magnetized when I received it since it was gaining multiple minutes per hour but after demagnetizing it and regulating it it is now at +5sec/day which is great!

Thank! I never had a carbon watch, but I really want to, but for most models the price bites me, and this is a fairly budget option to try this material. I’m a little afraid of the feeling of plasticity, but I think the wearing comfort will overpower. Enjoy, this is a good choice!

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
Thank! I never had a carbon watch, but I really want to, but for most models the price bites me, and this is a fairly budget option to try this material. I’m a little afraid of the feeling of plasticity, but I think the wearing comfort will overpower. Enjoy, this is a good choice!

Carbotech is basically a thermoplastic polymer, so it's expected to feel plasticky (primarily because of the weight).

KOT1917

26/7/19
Russian federation
Yes, I understand how it is made and present the advantages, but I’m not sure that I like the “plastic watch” ... By the way, in one of the reviews, the participant weighed his rep 005, without a belt and fixing screws, it turned out 116.7 g, which is not so different from the TS presented. In the AP thread, I also read about a very significant weight difference. I wonder what rep manufacturers are doing wrong? Isn't that the binder polymer making the total mass heavier?

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
Yes, I understand how it is made and present the advantages, but I’m not sure that I like the “plastic watch” ... By the way, in one of the reviews, the participant weighed his rep 005, without a belt and fixing screws, it turned out 116.7 g, which is not so different from the TS presented. In the AP thread, I also read about a very significant weight difference. I wonder what rep manufacturers are doing wrong? Isn't that the binder polymer making the total mass heavier?

Please post the threads on the PVD PAM005 and the AP threads so that everyone can read it.

slashFAslash

21/7/18
Don't know about the weight difference but when handling the watch the material feels "dense" enough to make it feel robust. I don't know how it would withstand a fall but then you have other things to worry about anyways (xtal, movement damage etc)

KOT1917

26/7/19
Russian federation
Please post the threads on the PVD PAM005 and the AP threads so that everyone can read it.

Yes of course: Here is a link to the review from which I took the weight of 005, the only thing is that it is not PVD: https://www.rw-forum.com/topic/458-pam-005gen-vs-rep/ Link to the discussion of fc audemars piguet: https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...-ap-forged-carbon-black-44mm-jf-vs-noob/page3 For Linde Werdelin, suppose the difference is due to the material of the inner case. AP, refer to the differences in the mechanism, although, in my opinion, the difference is big. pam has a different carbon formation technology than theirs, but I don’t think of the difference in other components of the watch, which is very noticeable. I see, here many have a 47mm carbon fiber sub pam. Can someone tell me their mass? Theoretically, in this watch the proportion of the mass of the case to movement, dial, sapphire is the most significant, and accordingly the difference in weight with the steel or titanium version should be maximum.