• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Mini 372

deadaglev

professional nitpicker
Supporter
Certified
6/5/13
Germany
Hi everyone,

I hope that someone can help me to find a few parts for a Mini 372 project.

As the title suggests, i am trying to build a 44mm version of one of my all time favorite watches, the Pam 372.
This watch combines almost every single detail and option i love on a Pam:

-1950 Case polished (important for me here is the added line on the side of the cushion, aswell as the slim, less high lugs compared to the bigger lugs on newer luminor cases.
(Pictures to show what i am on about):

4a48b7ef06cef2c7f055888e9127be55.jpg

f91b5238aa87c28bf0548489b4007cc5.jpg

-Then, there is the crystal that is standing out of the bezel.
-golden Hands,
-ecru lume
-and last but certainly not least the engraved Luminor Panerai on the dial, an option which, as far as i know, is only to be found on 47mm Pams. (I know that there are 37mm Dials with that specs out there though).

I was desperately trying to find a Pam that features that case, but could not find anything.
A Mini Fiddy case for example, as far as i have seen, has not the right cushion or lugs!

I know there have been requests like this before, but none really gave an answer, or just went with a mini fiddy case with the wrong shape.
I would be very happy for any advise. Since i am kind of stuck here.
(The closest case i could find as a base to start with that’s not 47mm is the Luminor due case. But that has been reped so far only in 42mm).

Are there some places I can get those parts, is there anyone who can provide them?

Thanks a lot and greetings from Germany!

deadaglev

professional nitpicker
Supporter
Certified
6/5/13
Germany
Did more research over at homageforum since i posted this yesterday.
Is there really no other option than reshaping a mini fiddy case?

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
People over at HF know better regarding modifications at that level (case reshaping, etc). So if that's what they say, then that's probably the best course of action.

deadaglev

professional nitpicker
Supporter
Certified
6/5/13
Germany
I just only read there about reshaping the mini fiddy, no one explicitly said that it is the only option. Maybe that’s also part of the vintage process...

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
I just only read there about reshaping the mini fiddy, no one explicitly said that it is the only option. Maybe that’s also part of the vintage process...

What I meant was, they are the experts at reshaping cases to make them look like a specific vintage watch. Certainly, it is not the ONLY option, but it is the only one that's been done and is more realistic. The other option is if you own a CNC machine, or knows someone who does and then you have the blueprints of the PAM372 case and the know-how on how to reduce the dimensions to make it 44mm, which probably most if not all people (outside of the Panerai factory in Neuchatel I mean) do not possess.

deadaglev

professional nitpicker
Supporter
Certified
6/5/13
Germany
Ahaha ok no that is of course out of what’s possible...
so there is no donor watch with that case in existence?
thanks a lot for your answer btw. mysterio!!

deadaglev

professional nitpicker
Supporter
Certified
6/5/13
Germany
Hm. Wait for a 45mm Luminor Due to be repped?
Or do you guys know if someone can ad a CP to a Pam 572 case?

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
Hm. Wait for a 45mm Luminor Due to be repped?
Or do you guys know if someone can ad a CP to a Pam 572 case?

You can, but you must tap screw holes on the side and grind the side of the case flat to accommodate the CG as the CG has a flat surface (the other way around, to mod the CG would be too complex as the mid case has a curve). .

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
You need CNC machines I think for such a major mod. I wouldn't try that with my dremel for sure LOL.

I'm sorry but if you want a mini 372 you're stuck, even a mini fiddy reshaping like suggested on HF would require really countless hours of work for a less than adequate look unless you have professional precision machines.
It's something you can try and do for your own personal fun but I don't think any modder would embark on.

deadaglev

professional nitpicker
Supporter
Certified
6/5/13
Germany
Ok thanks a lot kilowattore!
Sad to hear that. Fingers crossed for a Luminor due release.
Btw. I absolute adore your work!

Natas78

Trusted Watchmaker
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
21/8/11
EU
What kilowattore said, and it's not worth the trouble you'll get yourself into I promise you that.

deadaglev

professional nitpicker
Supporter
Certified
6/5/13
Germany
Ok. Thanks for all the replies guys.
Sad to hear that there is no way to pull this off since 47mm is in my opinion just not wearable except you have indeed wrists like Stallone.
Maybe I will then still go for a Pam 372 and don’t care about the look on my wrist just because the watch itself is so lovely.
And here i sit and think my 183 is too big... why are Pams just too nice to resist :)

superspark69

Put Some Respect On My Name
Certified
22/10/18
Sheffield, UK
Ok. Thanks for all the replies guys.
Sad to hear that there is no way to pull this off since 47mm is in my opinion just not wearable except you have indeed wrists like Stallone.
Maybe I will then still go for a Pam 372 and don’t care about the look on my wrist just because the watch itself is so lovely.
And here i sit and think my 183 is too big... why are Pams just too nice to resist :)

those cases although 47mm wear very well even for smaller wrists.

deadaglev

professional nitpicker
Supporter
Certified
6/5/13
Germany
Its actually not that small. 20cm.
But for me, watches that are that big just don’t feel right. It is all about balance. And i know everyone needs to sort that out for themself. I know there are a lot of guys actually wearing the 47mm cases, but for example, i own a Pam 183. that’s 45mm with wire lugs and that’s a tiny bit too big for my taste. Not by much.
It is the same on the other side of the scale. Everything under 41-40mm is just lost on my wrist.
(Boy do i wanted a vintage Omega a while back...)
It all comes down to the feeling on the wrist.
I don’t care if it may look a bit strange. As long as i love wearing it.

So i have to give it a try i guess :)

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
Of course preferences will always be personal. The watch can be fine for us but for you can be too big or too small. The generally accepted formula is to divide your wrist size in mm with the watch diameter. If the result is between 4 and 5 then it should be fine.