• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

PAM127 Noob Pic Question

SuperCloner

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/3/19
I'm buying a Noob PAM127 and received QC pics but I noticed that the Minute hand has a fatter lume than the gen does, is this typical? The center pin on the hands also looks slightly different and is a different size/shape:

Screen-Shot-2019-03-20-at-1-35-46-PM.png

and the back of the movement through the cover has debris, I think, as well:

Screen-Shot-2019-03-20-at-1-36-46-PM.png

To be expected?

shyreplover

Renowned Member
12/6/06
That looks like corrosion, and if it is corrosion who knows what's going on inside the movement. I wouldn't take the watch

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
The difference in the lume width just looks like a difference in picture magnification. Check out some more gen pictures . Looks to me like the display back has protective plastic over it you can see it's edges if you look . I would check out if it is not just dust under the plastic made to look worse by picture magnification.The centre pin looks wrong colour and size again think is poor photography metallic pins can look black if over exposed .

Perhaps you will get some real Pam experts chime in! To be honest I thought Noob had stopped making Fiddy's .

Last edited:

Grimlocktime

Put Some Respect On My Name
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
3/5/13
It's really hard to tell dimensions from pictures. Lighting plays a major factor in the appearance of negative spaces like lume width. I can tell you for sure, however, that that noob hand shape is slightly different to the gen. I actually used to upgrade Noob PAM127s with davidsenjpn hands. I don't think he sells the hands any longer, but they were near perfect.

Regardless, reject that watch due to the debris or imperfection visible on the crown wheel. But don't expect 1:1 accuracy from the hands, it won't happen.

SuperCloner

11/3/19
Thank you for the points, I'll make sure that the debris is either outside on the plastic cover and if not, I will reject it...

Are there ANY super reps that gets all of the fine details like the shape of the hands and lume spacing spot on? Or is this simply not part of the MO for out of the box super rep watches?

Reactions: Davidhawke71

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
Super reps by definition are reps that are so well made that only a detailed side by side comparison would point out differences between them. Fine details won't be seen by most people,and especially at arm's length which is normally how everyone else sees your watch. For a watch that costs 5% of the genuine article, you can't ask/should not expect for anything more. As the saying goes, the only 1:1 rep is a gen.

Reactions: Davidhawke71

CptUsa

Horology Curious
4/3/19
I bought a NOOB PAM127 super clone ... and I have a gen PAM422.

Lets just say it this way:
-unless you are dating the sesoned Panerai sales manager, noone else will be able to tell the difference on your wrist during your regular everyday motions and movements.
-if you are used to looking at gen hands, you'll know something is off, but not really be able to pinpoint what that is, if it is just a glimpse or a friendly short look of your watch...
-if you place your wrist next to the person who is also wearing the same PAM for the very first 5seconds you have absolutely nothing to worry about, unless they ask you to take it off and hand it over to them.
-the best way to describe the "difference" is the "thickness" or the "presence" of the gen hands, for whaetever reason when you look at them they feel heavier and or more solid than the rep hands. BUT, let me say this one more time..... ONLY IF YOU STARE with your nose barely not touching the crystal.

on that note, once you start adjusting the time, YOU WILL KNOW RIGHT AWAY it is a gen or rep.

the weight is pretty close, especially if you use heavier strap/band. It simply dilutes the feeling...

As many have said, enjoy it for what it looks like and do not worry about what it is not. Because it is never going to be a duplicate, since it is a replica :)

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
Thank you for the points, I'll make sure that the debris is either outside on the plastic cover and if not, I will reject it...

Are there ANY super reps that gets all of the fine details like the shape of the hands and lume spacing spot on? Or is this simply not part of the MO for out of the box super rep watches?

Chap go with the watch you want the Pam127 . If you go to the Panerai section you will see somebody posted QC pics in much more natural light of their noob fiddy purchase only yesterday . You can see the lume width is much thicker than your pic and IMO the hour hand shape looks correct . The centre pin holding hand looks correct and the right colour as well . However you see what I mean by light and over exposure in a later shot the centre pin looks black .

Tell your TD of your concerns and ask for some clearer pictures of the dial in a natural light . Then ask them about what looks like dust/debris on the movement . Ask them if there is a plastic cover on the case back . If so get them to remove it , wipe the back and send more pics . I suspect it is dust on the protective plastic . If you still think the debris/dust is there and under the glass case back then reject .

The Noob 127 is a pretty spot on rep , of course there are small tells but 99% of people looking at it will think it is gen . The other 1% will need to have a real close examination of it ( possibly get a loupe and with gen side by side ) in hand to call it out .

Last edited:

CptUsa

Horology Curious
4/3/19
I am the person who bought the PAM127 just days ago, I have my own issues, that are probably caused by my own order. But I have nothing to say about the looks and the feel of my PAM127 NOOB. Furthermore, I actually would recommend the TD I used puretime, if you think you are not getting the service and the product you want.
​​​​​​​
VpL0pQ.jpg

Grimlocktime

Put Some Respect On My Name
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
3/5/13
The biggest tell on rep hands isn’t even the lume shape. I’ve seen variation on gen hands. But what never varies is the tips of the hands.
Rep=99% rounded and blunt.
Gen=100% razor sharp like the tip of an arrow.

This is one of the biggest tells of a rep watch and definitely applies to the PAM127 along with others
shape of numbers
sharpness of number edges
color of text
lack of gold hour wheel
finish of dial
tip of CG lever
lug ripple

thats just when the watch is face up. Turn it over and the fun really begins:)

the point is this is a $350 rep of a $10K watch. And a damn nice looking one at that. Enjoy it for what it is. If you want perfection get the gen or have some one build you a franken;)

Last edited:

rnewbie

Known Member
Patron
Certified
7/10/07
The biggest tell on rep hands isn’t even the lume shape. I’ve seen variation on gen hands. But what never varies is the tips of the hands.

This is one of the biggest tells of a rep watch and definitely applies to the PAM127 along with others
shape of numbers
color of text
lack of gold hour wheel
finish of dial
tip of CG lever
lug ripple

the point is this is a $350 rep of a $10K watch. And a damn nice looking one at that. Enjoy it for what it is. If you want perfection get the gen or have some one build you a franken;)

What he said :)

up_right

I'm Pretty Popular
27/1/17
Spain

shape of numbers
color of text
lack of gold hour wheel
finish of dial
tip of CG lever
lug ripple

What is 'gold hour wheel' and 'lug ripple'? thx

Strodda

Supporter 'smith
Supporter
21/1/11
TX/USA
Grimlocktime you are so right. Flipping over and getting to work on the 127 movement is a lot of fun. The gen movement is one of the most simple out there, but it's so beautifully executed. I still regret selling my 127, loved the movement.

SuperCloner

11/3/19
I ended up taking delivery of another PAM127 that had a better finish on the movement.

2 Questions on the PAM127:
1.) How heavy is the gen watch? I feel that this one is relatively light (especially for its size)
2.) How long is the reserve for this movement? It seems like it only lasts about 12 hours?

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
I ended up taking delivery of another PAM127 that had a better finish on the movement.

2 Questions on the PAM127:
1.) How heavy is the gen watch? I feel that this one is relatively light (especially for its size)
2.) How long is the reserve for this movement? It seems like it only lasts about 12 hours?

1. Nothing in the construction nor material of the gen PAM127 is unique. So I would not expect to see a great difference in weight.
2. It should be around 56-60 hours same as gen movement at a full wind. Did you wind the crown until it could no longer move at all (full wind)?

SuperCloner

11/3/19
Yeah the watch itself is nice and I think well replicated, but I'm not overly impressed about it as a whole. This means that if I splurged on the gen, I would get bored of it quite quickly and start to question its value.

The crown gets progressively tighter and I haven't quite found the full stoppage point, but I'll try again.

Strodda

Supporter 'smith
Supporter
21/1/11
TX/USA
Yeah the watch itself is nice and I think well replicated, but I'm not overly impressed about it as a whole. This means that if I splurged on the gen, I would get bored of it quite quickly and start to question its value.

The crown gets progressively tighter and I haven't quite found the full stoppage point, but I'll try again.

From dead, it'll take at least 50 turns to fully wind the mainspring. If you never reach a firm stopping point, then it'll need to be serviced and have the barrel replaced or you can also try contacting the TD and see if they offer anything.

SuperCloner

11/3/19
So I found the stopping point with the wind and the movement has stopped working altogether. The low reserve was already suspicious. I can't believe this watch was basically dead on arrival

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
So I found the stopping point with the wind and the movement has stopped working altogether. The low reserve was already suspicious. I can't believe this watch was basically dead on arrival

That's unfortunate. Get in touch with the TD on the possible remedies. If they agree on paying for the repair cost (although it may not cover the entire cost), then I would suggest going that route. Shipping it back will take longer and will also entail some cost on your side (usually you would have to pay for the return shipping),