• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New VSF 213 with working Rattrapante movement

dadog13

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
15/3/06
Long sold out..

If you look down, it is written :
This product was added to our catalog on Thursday 19 January, 2017

apparently they were made in only 80 pcs..I have one ;)

superspark69

Certified
22/10/18
Sheffield, UK
ive got one coming to the UK on the 25th for me to see, a friend of mine speaks directly with VSF so maybe they are now available again, I'll let you know once ive checked it out and post pics/video if its the real deal :)

Reactions: vcappp

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
ive got one coming to the UK on the 25th for me to see, a friend of mine speaks directly with VSF so maybe they are now available again, I'll let you know once ive checked it out and post pics/video if its the real deal :)

That would be awesome for those who were not able to get one the first time. Maybe it will be better than V1. But a V1 would be in itself great. :)

Rufctr2

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
16/2/16
Who did a service on the movement ? I would be happy to own one but i would prefer a full service on it before to use it.

Stoozak

6/2/15
Watching this closely. Been on the hunt for one for a while....

superspark69

Certified
22/10/18
Sheffield, UK
Should be serviceable by a good watch smith, it’s a 7750 with added parts for the rattrapante

ZoomBoy

I'm Pretty Popular
9/11/11
Would be great if they released more. Never got a chance to buy a V1 and have a few gen straps I need watches for (lmao).

rolexwatchfan

17/8/13
Yep, would be great. By the time I've asked my TD for one, they were gone already. On the side note, I'd rather see the Radiomir PAM214 with this movement repped.

Reactions: vcappp

PaneraiCC

Superfranken collector
Patron
Certified
29/1/19
Conus
Great news if they come back in stock! I would buy one right away

Grimlocktime

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
3/5/13
They stopped making the V1 because the movement was a time bomb. I’d love to know what was changed to improve the movement.

capice

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/07
Not an easy mvt to service.....Simply put, the rattrapante is very difficult to manufacture and exceedingly rare. Just a handful of manufacturers make them in-house: we’re talking the likes of Patek Phillipe and A. Lange & Söhne. But it has been produced for less. Most notably watchmaker Richard Habring developed a way to add a split-seconds module onto a Valjoux 7750 years ago while working at IWC; Habring now produces his own version under his own independent brand Habring. Still, very few manufacturers make the rattrapante. So I can understand why an Asian version can be a timebomb.

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
They stopped making the V1 because the movement was a time bomb. I’d love to know what was changed to improve the movement.

+1 The original batch had reportedly horrible yield on the movements that only 80 were able to be produced.

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
Very finicky movement - extremely expensive to service.

But then you would be talking about the gen. Brands have to maintain that level of luxury so of course a watch would have a comparatively priced servicing cost.

GTgamo

12/2/18
Every Where, Earth
But then you would be talking about the gen. Brands have to maintain that level of luxury so of course a watch would have a comparatively priced servicing cost.

Well, not necessarily, as capice01 mentioned earlier, Habring was working at IWC when he came up with the split second hand movement based on the 7750 - it was a complication that many would not touch. I have asked several watch smiths who were very familiar with the 7750 if they would do a complete tear down and service on my Doppel and they refused. IWC held the patent for the 25 year max limit - which is why a few more factories are producing them now. But I wouldn't automatically assume just because a smith can service a 7750 that they will feel comfortable with the Doppel complication. It would be interesting to see the original IWC service manuals on the Doppel.

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
Well, not necessarily, as capice01 mentioned earlier, Habring was working at IWC when he came up with the split second hand movement based on the 7750 - it was a complication that many would not touch. I have asked several watch smiths who were very familiar with the 7750 if they would do a complete tear down and service on my Doppel and they refused. IWC held the patent for the 25 year max limit - which is why a few more factories are producing them now. But I wouldn't automatically assume just because a smith can service a 7750 that they will feel comfortable with the Doppel complication. It would be interesting to see the original IWC service manuals on the Doppel.

I was referring to your comment "extremely expensive to service". The actual cost of the service, while costing the customer a pretty penny, is probably actually affordable. But to maintain that air of exclusivity, IWC will charge whatever they want for the service. It's like Rolex. They aren't innovating anymore so they've already recouped any investment in R&D yet the price of the watches still remain high. It's because if they lowered the price, it would bring down the prestige of the brand.