• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Pam687 - advice regarding factory (sf or zf)

vasboul

Horology Curious
25/12/18
Reactions: panasol

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
They're differently priced because ZF wants to charge that much for its watches and SF wanted to charge a bit more, TLDR. :p

But to be more precise, SF was the first to come out, so being first they thought they could command a high price for it. Then people nitpicked on the L SWISS L on the dial which was too prominent compared to the gen, so it probably did not sell many. ZF then came out a few months later with a version that had a closer to gen appearance in terms of the L SWISS L print. The movement was also very slightly improved in terms of appearance (they're still P.3000 clones). To ensure dominance over the SF version, ZF lowered its price a bit. There you go. I don't remember SF releasing an updated version so their PA<687 silently faded into obscurity. The ad is still there but I doubt it's still in stock (and that is if you wanted a more expensive and slightly more inferior version to begin with).

Reactions: vcappp

SPACECOWBOY 2017

6/5/17
Munich
As soon as you got your 687 you want a 685, too. ;)
846099f89d1c66523a8fa6d203f48864.jpg

Gesendet von meinem SM-G950F mit Tapatalk

Reactions: TheEC and vasboul

rcom440

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/11/12
USA
As soon as you got your 687 you want a 685, too. ;)
846099f89d1c66523a8fa6d203f48864.jpg

Gesendet von meinem SM-G950F mit Tapatalk

Which one do you prefer, if you had to choose just one which one would u pick?
I want to keep my collection to minimum now because I have whole bunch of watches that I never wear.

Reactions: johnlogan

aaa_bda

Known Member
26/6/19
I have the 687 (ZF version), I think the color makes it stand out more than the 685. Nice looking watch, unfortunately it doesn't get much wrist time

rcom440

10/11/12
USA
I have the 687 (ZF version), I think the color makes it stand out more than the 685. Nice looking watch, unfortunately it doesn't get much wrist time

Why not? Too big, doesn’t go with certain clothes you wear or too many watches in you rotation?

i have way too many watches so my goal is to buy only watches I will wear at least once a month.

Reactions: johnlogan

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
Why not? Too big, doesn’t go with certain clothes you wear or too many watches in you rotation?

i have way too many watches so my goal is to buy only watches I will wear at least once a month.

I have failed that goal. :lol:

aaa_bda

Known Member
26/6/19

All of the above!! I don't have a formal rotation, I tend to wear whatever I feel like on that day and what matches. For whatever reason, this one doesn't get picked as often. I also bought a lot of watche recently so the newer arrivals get more attention.

Now I'm at a point that I either have to sell some watches or buy another watch box, I'm probably going to do both! ;)

rcom440

10/11/12
USA
What’s the strap size for 687,
26mm / 26 buckle or 24mm / 24 buckle?

superspark69

Certified
22/10/18
Sheffield, UK
Oh damn, those are not easy to find. So do you think 26 will be too small, do you think that 1mm gap will be noticeable?

You can use a 26mm but I feel the extra mm does make a difference. If you have a leather strap though you can stretch it slightly using warm water to make up the extra mm

rcom440

10/11/12
USA
You can use a 26mm but I feel the extra mm does make a difference. If you have a leather strap though you can stretch it slightly using warm water to make up the extra mm

I didn’t know warm water can stretch leather.
you just let it sit in a hot water for a few minutes?
I’m not sure if it would stretch its width on its own without applying some force especially if it’s a thick leather.

superspark69

Certified
22/10/18
Sheffield, UK
I didn’t know warm water can stretch leather.
you just let it sit in a hot water for a few minutes?
I’m not sure if it would stretch its width on its own without applying some force especially if it’s a thick leather.

The warm water softens it and then you can stretch it very slightly

Thewatchwolf

Renowned Member
1/3/15
CONUS
They're differently priced because ZF wants to charge that much for its watches and SF wanted to charge a bit more, TLDR. :p

But to be more precise, SF was the first to come out, so being first they thought they could command a high price for it. Then people nitpicked on the L SWISS L on the dial which was too prominent compared to the gen, so it probably did not sell many. ZF then came out a few months later with a version that had a closer to gen appearance in terms of the L SWISS L print. The movement was also very slightly improved in terms of appearance (they're still P.3000 clones). To ensure dominance over the SF version, ZF lowered its price a bit. There you go. I don't remember SF releasing an updated version so their PA<687 silently faded into obscurity. The ad is still there but I doubt it's still in stock (and that is if you wanted a more expensive and slightly more inferior version to begin with).

Hope you can help me here. Was going to purchase this from Josh until I noticed it was the SF version. I’m looking for the ZF most recently updated one with the more genlike LSWISSL markings. Josh wrote me back saying ZF does not make the watch and they use SF watches and just add their stickers on them (?????). He’s also saying this is the most updated watch with the 8500 super clone movement and quick set hour hand. I’m beyond confused as I see the ZF version still listed from other TDs. Any help is greatly appreciated.

https://www.pf-868.com/watches/pane...ays-acciaio-brevettato-ss-le-black-p3000.html

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
Hope you can help me here. Was going to purchase this from Josh until I noticed it was the SF version. I’m looking for the ZF most recently updated one with the more genlike LSWISSL markings. Josh wrote me back saying ZF does not make the watch and they use SF watches and just add their stickers on them (?????). He’s also saying this is the most updated watch with the 8500 super clone movement and quick set hour hand. I’m beyond confused as I see the ZF version still listed from other TDs. Any help is greatly appreciated.

https://www.pf-868.com/watches/pane...ays-acciaio-brevettato-ss-le-black-p3000.html

The fact he said 8500 makes me suspicious. The 8500 is not used on the PAM687, it's a variation of the P.3000. I can't really comment on the ZF buying SF watches and putting their stickers on them. It all sounds fantastical. What exactly would ZF gain from doing it and what's to stop SF from saying "ZF buys from us"? But regardless, the most important thing is, is the movement really updated? Now the advertisement on the website has no video, so ask him for proof of the quickset date on the PAM. Otherwise, I would take that claim with a grain of salt as there have been no PAMs using the P.3000 with such a movement. It would be an achievement yet no one used it? Hmm...

Reactions: Thewatchwolf

Thewatchwolf

Renowned Member
1/3/15
CONUS
The fact he said 8500 makes me suspicious. The 8500 is not used on the PAM687, it's a variation of the P.3000. I can't really comment on the ZF buying SF watches and putting their stickers on them. It all sounds fantastical. What exactly would ZF gain from doing it and what's to stop SF from saying "ZF buys from us"? But regardless, the most important thing is, is the movement really updated? Now the advertisement on the website has no video, so ask him for proof of the quickset date on the PAM. Otherwise, I would take that claim with a grain of salt as there have been no PAMs using the P.3000 with such a movement. It would be an achievement yet no one used it? Hmm...

Thank you, this is what I figured. I keep asking for photos and he keeps saying “Sir.. I repeat.. ZF dont make this watch ..” Direct quote.