• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Good bye Rolli

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Sad news today. I have heard on RWG that Rolf is gone. He's been ill for a while, I knew that, but this was unexpected for me.

Many of you might have never heard of him, he has been banned from several forums due to his bad temper, but I had the opportunity to discuss with him for a while and I can testify that I met very few people as helping and supportive as he's been with me.

I was still a noob when I got in contact with him about a dial and he litteraly guided me through the build process step by step, offering advice, technical schemes and even some custom made parts.

He was a very precise and talented Panerai lover. His knowledge gifted our community with some of the best dials ever made, studied and planned in every single detail in a way that only a true enthusiast could have done and the result is unrivaled.

I'd like to remember him through the few watches I could complete with his dials, they have been and will be my most precious builds.

5218-201/A

5218-205/A

Good bye Rolf, we never met yet I will miss you dearly.

macarone

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
7/3/17
CONUS USA
Sad news!

I've gotten burned over Cheryl Tiegs,
Blown up for Raquel Welch.
But when I wind up in the hay it's only hay, Hey Hey

Reactions: kilowattore

tommyxx01

Horology Curious
11/9/16
Question Marks are emoticons ... very bad timing in this post :(

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

sleeper

18/3/13
RIP...bought a few dials from him back in the day before this personna...Was the go to guy for those oldies.

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
Very sorry to hear this news. His memory will live on in the builds using his perfectionist Pre-V dials.

rolexwatchfan

17/8/13
Devastating news my friend. We are among those lucky members who got to know him and acquired knowledge and his exquisite creations in the process. We've lost true master with passion for Panerai and his journey to recreate the masterpieces. His "museum series" dials are legendary. I call myself lucky to be part of the journey. I'm joining you with mourning of a friend and true master. He'll live through his work legacy for generations to come.

Natas78

Trusted Watchmaker
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
21/8/11
EU
Very sad news Kilo, I’m sure your kind words were felt somewhere somehow.
May he rest in peace.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk Pro

senator

3/6/09
really bad news, bought from him 201/A some days back. Does anyone know, how old he has become?

RIP!!

civic4982

Renowned Member
11/9/11
Sorry to hear about his passing.

He was a very passionate fellow and dial maker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grimlocktime

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
3/5/13
kilowattore thanks for posting this

My friend Rolf, and I can say friend in the way that people are friends who have never met. We exchanged hundreds of emails over the years, scan files of genuine dials ( I disassembled 3 gen Panerais just to get him a good hi-resolution scans of the dials;) and long exchanges about pre-V varnish. I always planned to meet him in person on my next trip to Germany that never came to pass, to share a beer and some conversation about a great hobby.

His passion for Panerai was matched only by his obsession with perfection. He was an amazing asset to this hobby and he will be missed for sure.

For those of you that own one of his dials congratulations. And count your self lucky. And as I’m sure Rolf would have said, ‘you aren’t lucky, you are smart with a pocket full of money and have good taste’.

Good bye Rolf and thanks

tominjo

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/6/08
EU
Sad news.
I'll remember him for his amazing panerai builds.
Rest in peace.

pamdude

Known Member
19/3/15
RIP I happen to own a sly tech build with his dial. I will cherish it forever.

Ptolomeo

Known Member
2/5/07
Very sad news! I remember his builds in the old days. He helped many of us when we were just newcomers to the amazing Panerai pre-v world. A very good guy. RIP, Rollie!