• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Brought another one back from the dead (PAM312)

Duane Stinson

1/10/18
Picked this one up from RWG and it was beat to hell. Deep dings in the bezel, scratched all over, deep scratches in the display back glass and the movement was rough functioning but running well. Put about 6 hours of work into it mostly sanding, polishing and servicing the movement (2 hours sanding and polishing just the display back glass!!!). Redid the brushed finish with ultra fine 3M pad. It came out pretty good.

Before:
YTjfD.jpg

YTLzU.jpg

YTTns.jpg

After:
YTUmL.jpg

YTQRo.jpg

YTnwK.jpg

YTs7T.jpg

YTepe.jpg

YT9RA.jpg

YTPrQ.jpg

YTfwf.jpg

ohheckyeah

Horology Curious
27/11/18
Great job on this, it looks fantastic! I have a question about the deployment clasp. I picked up a rep clasp recently and I can't get the thick leather band through it at all. It seems like I would need to remove the metal bit to get it through, then reattach the metal bit to the clasp arm. However it seems to be a solid rod that connects them, and not a removable spring bar.

Is yours a rep clasp? If so how did you get the metal piece on and off?

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
Great job on this, it looks fantastic! I have a question about the deployment clasp. I picked up a rep clasp recently and I can't get the thick leather band through it at all. It seems like I would need to remove the metal bit to get it through, then reattach the metal bit to the clasp arm. However it seems to be a solid rod that connects them, and not a removable spring bar.

Is yours a rep clasp? If so how did you get the metal piece on and off?

Straps will only fit deployment clasps if they are made to be used for them. Do you have a picture of the strap and the clasp showing the metal bit and solid rod you are mentioning?

Reactions: Duane Stinson

ohheckyeah

Horology Curious
27/11/18
Straps will only fit deployment clasps if they are made to be used for them. Do you have a picture of the strap and the clasp showing the metal bit and solid rod you are mentioning?

It's the same clasp in the post above, the watch has a brown asso strap on it. The width and thickness of the strap will definitely fit, I just need to remove the metal bit. I asked the question to OP because I didn't know if this rod was removable or fixed, but it sounds like I can remove it with the proper tools

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
It's the same clasp in the post above, the watch has a brown asso strap on it. The width and thickness of the strap will definitely fit, I just need to remove the metal bit. I asked the question to OP because I didn't know if this rod was removable or fixed, but it sounds like I can remove it with the proper tools

If you need tools other than your hand to make the end of the strap go through the clasp, the strap isn't thin enough and certainly not made for deployment. But if you think you can do it (again pictures would be helpful), go ahead.

capice

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/07

It won't fit m8....it will break the clasp when you force it

klockjohan

El Patron
5/12/15
EU
Nice work!
Always a pleasure to see someone who spends time and love on a beat up rep just cause they have the knowledge and enjoy doing it.

Reactions: Duane Stinson

Happy_Jake

You're Saying I Can Sell?
21/2/19
Truly a thing of beauty. Please advise if ever you wish to sell it. All the best!

ohheckyeah

Horology Curious
27/11/18
If you need tools other than your hand to make the end of the strap go through the clasp, the strap isn't thin enough and certainly not made for deployment. But if you think you can do it (again pictures would be helpful), go ahead.

I'm not sure if you're familiar with this deployment clasp, but the piece that the strap slides through has the rod extremely close to the part that goes into the buckle hole. You'd have difficulty with even a thin leather strap... the design of it is strange, and almost seems like it is intended to be removed. This is what OP had to do, and my strap is about the same thickness

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
I'm not sure if you're familiar with this deployment clasp, but the piece that the strap slides through has the rod extremely close to the part that goes into the buckle hole. You'd have difficulty with even a thin leather strap... the design of it is strange, and almost seems like it is intended to be removed. This is what OP had to do, and my strap is about the same thickness

Granted not everyone is familiar with everything Panerai, I'll agree to that but I think I can say I am fairly familiar with the deployant clasp. :bees: Hence my surprise at the suggestion you needed to dismantle the clasp in order to get the strap through. I missed the part where the OP posted what he did, but that's not how Panerai intended for a strap designed for deployant to be inserted. That also means the strap used was meant for a tang buckle. The design is not strange. You're forcing a strap which wasn't meant for deployant to fit. Of course if you dismantle the clasp, then you can use slightly thicker straps but there is still a limit because of the locking mechanism and to change straps repeatedly in this manner would mean wear and tear on a part which was again, not designed for this.

ohheckyeah

Horology Curious
27/11/18
Granted not everyone is familiar with everything Panerai, I'll agree to that but I think I can say I am fairly familiar with the deployant clasp. :bees: Hence my surprise at the suggestion you needed to dismantle the clasp in order to get the strap through. I missed the part where the OP posted what he did, but that's not how Panerai intended for a strap designed for deployant to be inserted. That also means the strap used was meant for a tang buckle. The design is not strange. You're forcing a strap which wasn't meant for deployant to fit. Of course if you dismantle the clasp, then you can use slightly thicker straps but there is still a limit because of the locking mechanism and to change straps repeatedly in this manner would mean wear and tear on a part which was again, not designed for this.

Ah, i see what you mean. I didn't mean to imply that you didn't know what you were talking about, I was just providing my own (albeit misguided) observation. It looks like it would be tough to even get a thin strap through, but I haven't tried pushing anything through it yet. I was previously thinking about using it on my black radiomir, but i think i'm going to keep the black buckle on it for now... I'm waiting to pick up a silver luminor at some point to try the clasp on that