• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Turn your Titanium Panerai vintage in 5 mins

ilikestraps

Looking Around
5/6/14
Hey Guys,

So today I did a little experiment on my PAM 305. I tried anodising it using some stuff I had laying around.
I used cleaning soda, water, titanium wire, nail polish remover and a 11.5V DC charger.

Steps:
1. Clean watch with some nail polish remover
2. Add soda to water till it no longer disolves
3. Connect watch to positive pole via titanium wire
4. Connect negative pole via titanium wire into the soda water
5. Dip watch into the soda water and make sure it does not touch the other wire.
6. Wait for 5 minutes and voila!

The dots on the case were not titanium and a lot of bubbles came off which created a really cool effect on the anodisation around it.
The 11.5 Volt DC created a bronze color. But higher voltages will make other colors.
It kind of looks like a bronzo now!

Results:

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
It's called anodization and it doesn't really vintagize titanium as the metal does not react like that normally in nature since the process uses electrical current to change the oxide level of the surface of the metal. Interesting if you want to change the color of your titanium watch.

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
Thank you for the tutorial, bit i never saw a gen titaniumcase with this patina...

It is because like I said, the reaction is not natural. Anodization is an electrically induced chemical reaction. What happens in nature is that titanium becomes dark. This is the oxide film that forms as a protective layer on top of the base metal.

Reactions: kuehlschrank

lorenzodoune

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
10/12/18
italy
wow! thats first time i see and know this procedure. i have had for many time a normal pam in titanium and would have loved to try it, but signed for future.
many thanks!