• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What’s up with pams not being ‘as hot’?

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
I agree

I deem that if the "old" discountinued super-reps like the 029, 088, 089, 365 and all the other ones produced especially from NOOB will be produced again, very good sales could be achieved

I do not understand the reason why after achieving very good quality on specific reps, these are discontinued. They could be an easy "cash cow", with no specific further investments in countinous improvement

Well unless we own the factory, the complete reason for doing so may never be revealed. What I understand is that the new owners of Noob stopped producing almost all PAM replicas (except for PAM111, PAM005 and recently the PAM127) because they wanted to focus on producing the best Rolex replicas. In the world, Rolex unfortunately beats Panerai in terms of brand recognition so Rolex reps would sell more than PAM reps. The vast majority of people who can appreciate the accuracy of PAMs are mostly forum members and we are not a huge percentage of the market (maybe a higher percentage of the high-end rep market but not of the total market). The PAM089 was never produced by Noob, it was an H-factory exclusive so even if Noob decided to restart production, this may never be released again. Fortunate that I got to buy one when it was first released.

Bendori

2/5/16
I agree

I deem that if the "old" discountinued super-reps like the 029, 088, 089, 365 and all the other ones produced especially from NOOB will be produced again, very good sales could be achieved

I do not understand the reason why after achieving very good quality on specific reps, these are discontinued. They could be an easy "cash cow", with no specific further investments in countinous improvement

Obviously a supply issue. Remember these 'factories' are just guys OEMing everything to other factories.
I would bet my money on those factories actually producing parts not accepting orders anymore (mostly due to fear of being cauhght).
Hence rendering the likes of noob powerless in further production.

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
Obviously a supply issue. Remember these 'factories' are just guys OEMing everything to other factories.
I would bet my money on those factories actually producing parts not accepting orders anymore (mostly due to fear of being cauhght).

The only problem with that theory lies with one of the jokes about PAMs; they all look alike. Dials are not complicated, they are the easiest to have made. Davidsen, the smallest of all the "factories" can have dials made, and even change the dials on the fly (I know because he updated the font on some PAMs he produced within a few weeks). Only a few case designs are needed for a multitude of models. Movements can also be used with a lot of models as the early models just use A6497 for manual wind and the A7750 for automatic watches.

None of these aforementioned parts are hard to source. If one factory were "scared" (which is really weird as replicas are illegal to start with, if you were scared of being caught, why start a factory in the first place?), it is not the only game in town. Factories can find another parts factory to make it.

Like I said, Noob changed owners and the new bosses decided they wanted to dominate the Rolex watch rep market. And to unload all of the stuff that remained, they had a sale. It wasn't only PAMs that they stopped. Around the same time, TDs also posted the Noob APs for cheaper prices. Most of us thought Noob was planning to release new versions of the PAMs and the APs but they did not after the sales had finished.

Therion666

Put Some Respect On My Name
Certified
26/12/13
Which version did you get?

The V6F/KW ST255 version. A true super rep. The movement feels like butter. And the build quality is superb, it screams gen. Waiting for the Corrigia strap to arrive, I had one made before I even got the watch :)

Reactions: superspark69

Kdawggy

Known Member
3/4/18

I'd disagree about it being a supply issue. The factories buy parts from different manufacturers in their thousands. I think the issue is that while some PAM models might be reliable sellers (shifting a decent, but modest, amount every month), they're not fast sellers. Given the increase in raids recently, it doesn't make sense for factories to have a lot of stock on hand. From their point of view, it's better to focus on super popular models that are keeping them busy enough anyway, and are able to be sent from the factory as soon as they are pieced together (like Noob's clone movement Daytona).

I mean, look at the sheer volume of watches GF had seized when they were raided. I forget the exact number, but I'm sure someone (maybe Angus) said they lost around 10,000 pieces. Better for a factory to have their guys focus on moving completed watches out as quickly as possible, rather than holding on to a large stock of PAM's that probably will sell "eventually". Same reason factories have had a few sales on Panerai's recently - they don't want to be in possession of a large stock if they are raided.

DoesNotExist

Known Member
1/10/16
Well unless we own the factory, the complete reason for doing so may never be revealed. What I understand is that the new owners of Noob stopped producing almost all PAM replicas (except for PAM111, PAM005 and recently the PAM127) because they wanted to focus on producing the best Rolex replicas. In the world, Rolex unfortunately beats Panerai in terms of brand recognition so Rolex reps would sell more than PAM reps. The vast majority of people who can appreciate the accuracy of PAMs are mostly forum members and we are not a huge percentage of the market (maybe a higher percentage of the high-end rep market but not of the total market). The PAM089 was never produced by Noob, it was an H-factory exclusive so even if Noob decided to restart production, this may never be released again. Fortunate that I got to buy one when it was first released.

Very likely, with the new NOOB ownership and the change of attitude of local police, they want to focus on "fast selling" and "high volume" productions like the Rolex. What it is strange is the relative "easyness" of PAM models, with high level of quality and investments already done on cases, movements, hands, crown which are reused on several models.

Let's consider that NOOB was also present with very good models on Omega (CrPo over all). As soon as they moved out from these models, VSF started with very good replicas.

Probably you are right when you said that overall PAM selling volumes could not justify further investments. Also ZF and VSF are leaving this brand