• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

A few Panerai projects I just finished up

Duane Stinson

1/10/18
I sourced a couple dials from Natas78 (Thanks again!) and built these two watches around the dials. They came out pretty nice!

1950 - This project was for a friend and was a pain in the butt. The dial (which was perfect!) was too thick for the case and I had to do major surgery on the case with a Dremmel. Had to shaved the dial ledge 1 mm to get the movement to sit deeper in the case and the A6497 movement secured but it all worked out. 47mm watch is big on my wrist but perfect for my friends (6'4").

esfvG.jpg

es8qq.jpg

esP8y.jpg

esie6.jpg

es2Aa.jpg

Blue Radiomir - The dial was a 39mm and really nice. I had mounted it into a 3646 case but when fitting the band I snapped the one welded lug trying to angle it more and could not fix it (for now). Had a 44mm Radiomir case laying around from a older project and resized the dial and fit it to the Swiss ETA 6497 movement. Dial is a little off now at 35mm but I can live with it. The band is handmade from a UK eBay seller and is extremely nice!
w5wYT.jpg

w5xy2.jpg

w5Fya.jpg

w5hKX.jpg

w5dhp.jpg

w5Hcs.jpg

w5Oah.jpg

This one is a aged fixed lug 3646, rivet dial project. Waiting on the aged hands to finish it up. Used a Cortebert 620R movement and it runs perfectly. Band was made by the same UK based maker as the one above from a Swiss ammo case.
w53oD.jpg

w5mWU.jpg

w55h8.jpg

wADc3.jpg

wAZmb.jpg

wAEo2.jpg

Last edited:

Tobel

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/7/17
Hey mate, very interesting read and beautiful watches that you built. Could you give a bit more details about the parts and where they're coming from? Are these Franken ? Cheers!

Duane Stinson

1/10/18
Hey mate, very interesting read and beautiful watches that you built. Could you give a bit more details about the parts and where they're coming from? Are these Franken ? Cheers!

To be honest I am not sure what the definition of franken is. I am new to this. All the parts where sourced from this forum, eBay and Vintage Watch Parts. What exactly are you looking for?

Tobel

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/7/17
To be honest I am not sure what the definition of franken is. I am new to this. All the parts where sourced from this forum, eBay and Vintage Watch Parts. What exactly are you looking for?

Ahah, sorry for the jargon. A Franken is basically a rep that incorporates gen parts. For example a rep with a gen crystal, gen hands, gen datewheel etc. From what I am reading it seems that you are putting together parts from reps and aftermarket, am I correct? Very nice builds in the end!

Reactions: Duane Stinson

Duane Stinson

1/10/18
Yes, mostly rep and aftermarket parts. I use a few gen parts on my watch projects but these are not. I have a extensive gen watch collection though.

Reactions: Tobel

Duane Stinson

1/10/18
Nice work m8,...love the vintage radiomir

Thanks! I am excited about finishing that one up. I was going for the old but taken care of look and it is coming along as planed. I sourced the Cortebert 620R from Tourby Watches Germany. It was overhauled, cleaned, oiled and adjusted. Runs with a 325 balance rate. It is going to be a great watch. I really like the 3 piece case on it. It wears like a 45mm instead of the standard 47mm.