• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Ceramic bezel broken out on PAM441 VSF (V1)

The Tourist

27/3/14
Hi there,

I recently hit my beloved 441 accidentally against a glass door when I walked into a room...

Thats the dreadful result:

bezel-broken.jpg

Now a few questions remain:

1) Whom to contact for a new fitting bezel? TD?
2) Who can exchange it?
..or 3) Can I possibly do it myself (without dedicated watchmaker tools)?

Would someone please give me some hints?

Thanks a lot

cavernou5

Horology Curious
20/11/18
In the past if i’ve needed one part, I’ve contacted the TD from whom I got the watch. With success, just the shipping cost is a pain.

You can DIY but I’d recommend the right tools. I’d be extra careful with the black also bc a scratch to the case would be devastating. There are ~50$ bezel removers out there on amazon. You can otherwise attempt the masking tape and razor blade method and gently pry it off circumferentially

GaalDoma

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/3/18
Ouch! I believe these reps are made with screw down bezel like the original so you can do it using a cheap, sticky rubber ball. Costs something like $1.5 on the bay.

Reactions: The Tourist

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
All the questions have been answered.

1. Get in touch with the TD if you bought it from one. Or ask any TD, some of them seem to be open to sourcing parts even for watches not bought from them. However, I am unfamiliar with the assembly of the crystal on the bezel. If it needs a crystal press, then you need a watchmaker. Also, the bezel might not be available by itself (some factories if not all, require you to purchase the entire caseset). Now depending on the price, you might be better off buying a new watch.
2. Stick ball (or ball of duct tape) on top, unscrew. replace with the new bezel (with crystal attached), screw back in, tighten. This may not provide the tightest of seals so I would not wear it swimming.

The Tourist

27/3/14
Thanks a lot for your recommendations, I very much appreciate them! Yes, I bought the watch from Puretime and I'm gonna ask them if they can send me the spare part(s)... or even get an estimate if I send the watch back for repair. Indeed mysterio, you might be right, this endeavor could cost so much, I'd be better off buying a new one. Maybe I should put the watch on M2M sale for a decent price.

In the meantime I got an offer for the bezel via PM.. I don't know yet who he is and if it's a good and trustworthy dealer, I have to put some research into this, let's see.

Sent from the RWI App

Sephstyler

Looking Around
8/1/19
Hi guys, I'm in the same situation but the dealer I purchased the rep 441 from cant source just the bezel part.

Can anyone point me to a TD whom can help? looking to get 2 spares. thanks!!

Tickman

Known Member
21/4/16
Is the ceramic on these reps so prone to chipping vs. stainless steel?

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
Is the ceramic on these reps so prone to chipping vs. stainless steel?

Ceramic is very resistant to scratching, steel hits it and some material is left on the ceramic. But impact resistance is another thing, whereas steel will dent but ceramic will crack. Kinda like sapphire. It's nearly as hard as diamond but it can crack, compared to resin, which scratches easily but is very impact resistant.

The Tourist

27/3/14
I will hopefully get my spare bezel from Mr. Timezone (a TD under probation here). The offered price was acceptable. You could contact him via PM.