• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

PAM382 - this watch is a rock star!

P1EMO

Known Member
26/7/19
Italy
Only checked locally before to use it under water but it was already waterproof
Ehm... how to "check locally"?

Actually initial waterproofing from Chinese factories is not trustable?

Sent from my Mi MIX 2 using Tapatalk

doc_strange

You're Saying I Can Sell?
9/6/20
Hi :) I ordered a PAM382 VSF and seems like the dial markers and Panerai subsimersible fonts are wrong? May I have your thoughts pls?
Zz52bk9
https://ibb.co/Zz52bk9

Last edited:

boostin20

Put Some Respect On My Name
8/9/10
USA
Hi :) I ordered a PAM382 VSF and seems like the dial markers and Panerai subsimersible fonts are wrong? May I have your thoughts pls?
Zz52bk9
https://ibb.co/Zz52bk9

That’s one of the things that stands out to me too. Other things that “glare” out at me are the a/r coating and markers/hands/bezel insert color. I’m guessing that will vary by watch though.

Edit: I’m not so much talking about the a/r on your qc pics- I’m making more of a general statement. However, your pics compared with all the OP’s kind of show the variance that can occur from watch to watch.

Last edited:

P1EMO

Known Member
26/7/19
Italy
3months of almost continuous use a.just a slight darkening of the case.
Any suggestion to develop patina without using salt water method or ammonia?
The leather strap darkened more than the watch itself ahahah
66ac6b4945c793753c2e78a3a81ce035.jpg

Also checked through a local watch seller for the waterproof and he told me that it can resist an heavy mist, but he wasn't sure he would put in the water. What does it mean for you? He was quite misterious..
Sent from my Mi 9T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/12/15
EzkpI.jpg

Also checked through a local watch seller for the waterproof and he told me that it can resist an heavy mist, but he wasn't sure he would put in the water. What does it mean for you? He was quite misterious..

I have taken mine swimming several times without issues. Saltwater and pool.

Don’t be too fast to dismiss ammonia. One cup of ammonia and one cup of chlorine will patina your watch in 60 min. Use a sealable Tupperware.

Your watch need a tab more patina to pass as GEN.

This is the result on my TUDOR using the same method. However I left it to age for 24 hours.
Insert was in direct contact.

Last edited:

Rickjames111

5/9/17
St Louis, Mo

Why not ammonia or salt water? I put salt water in a spray bottle and misted my case then set in in a Tupperware with ammonia (the case was set above the liquid) and the fumes change the case very quick.

You could also boil an egg and put it in a ziplock bag with the case and smash the egg, though this method is not as fast at all.

As far as waterproofing, I would NOT trust the factory, even if they say it is waterproofed. I would have it tested at a local shop before submersing it.

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19

Where are you Located? I intentionally pull mine out to wear it on humid days. Or on days when you can smell the sale. Coming off the ocean and I can see it change on a daily basis. But 3 months really isn't that long when you consider these are meant to last a lifetime.

I think patina tends to attract more patina.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: johnlogan

P1EMO

Known Member
26/7/19
Italy
Where are you Located? I intentionally pull mine out to wear it on humid days. Or on days when you can smell the sale. Coming off the ocean and I can see it change on a daily basis. But 3 months really isn't that long when you consider these are meant to last a lifetime.

I think patina tends to attract more patina.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Northern Italy. But I'm not exactly a sea lover.
Actually the watch is 6months old, but I alternate this and a Navitimer, depending on the mood/outfit.. actually this is not the typical "tuxedo watch".

I'll give it a look on the ammonia. Fact is that I'm just afraid.. I tested at a local shop, but the owner was a bit reluctant in giving info about the trustability of the waterproofing. He said he wouldn't take it in the water, but it seems waterproofed... that it can resist an heavy mist.

But actually that doesn't mean anything!

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/12/15
Northern Italy. But I'm not exactly a sea lover.
Actually the watch is 6months old, but I alternate this and a Navitimer, depending on the mood/outfit.. actually this is not the typical "tuxedo watch".

I'll give it a look on the ammonia. Fact is that I'm just afraid.. I tested at a local shop, but the owner was a bit reluctant in giving info about the trustability of the waterproofing. He said he wouldn't take it in the water, but it seems waterproofed... that it can resist an heavy mist.

But actually that doesn't mean anything!

Just to be clear. Don’t let the ammonia get in contact with the watch. It’s the fumes that will patina the watch. Keep the ammonia and watch separate.
If you sprinkle salt on the watch this will accelerate the process with the ammonia fumes. Easy to clean off after too.
Trust me – the watch will withstand all kinds of mist.

Reactions: P1EMO

P1EMO

Known Member
26/7/19
Italy
Just to be clear. Don’t let the ammonia get in contact with the watch. It’s the fumes that will patina the watch. Keep the ammonia and watch separate.
If you sprinkle salt on the watch this will accelerate the process with the ammonia fumes. Easy to clean off after too.
Trust me – the watch will withstand all kinds of mist.
Did a small test.
4 stages of immersion in salted water + 5mins with ammonia fumes.
Pretty satisfied, tonight will try with the bosses of the strap (not the crappy one in this pic of course)

Thanks for giving me the courage!
30897d7eaa853790d268436c49d2823b.jpg
15839fb7bc2872e3fd10fd068779fef8.jpg

Last edited:

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/12/15
Did a small test.
4 stages of immersion in salted water + 5mins with ammonia fumes.
Pretty satisfied, tonight will try with the bosses of the strap (not the crappy one in this pic of course)

Thanks for giving me the courage!
30897d7eaa853790d268436c49d2823b.jpg
15839fb7bc2872e3fd10fd068779fef8.jpg

Now we’re talking! Great job.

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
Now we’re talking! Great job.

Keep wearing it. Take pics daily for 30 days. You’ll start to see... you won’t notice much day to day but if you look at It the first pic and the 30th, you’ll notice a big difference. And then go back and watch the little day to day changes, especially after you noticed how it changed over the course of the month.

like you’ll see one area get much more green over the course of a month and you get to go back and see how each day there was this very slow inch toward where you end up. It’s very cool. Great job too.

doc_strange

You're Saying I Can Sell?
9/6/20
just wondering how does the date changes for your pam382s? is it a gradual change as it approaches midnight or does it jump straight at midnight?

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/12/15
just wondering how does the date changes for your pam382s? is it a gradual change as it approaches midnight or does it jump straight at midnight?

Starting at 11 and ends at midnight.