• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Pam for smaller wrists?

rustypanda

Horology Curious
6/3/18
Hi all,

Wondering what you pros thought is the best pam rep for smaller wrist, if there even is one.

All the panerai I’ve seen are like 44s and 47, which is much too much for mwah.

Looking for more like a 40mm, any good suggestions ?

Thank you kindly

Sent from the RWI App

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
There are a few 40-42mm models that are worth checking out, but if I may ask: how big (or small) is your wrist? The reason I say that is because Panerai's wear rather small compared to their book size. A good comparison is that a 45mm B&R looks like a deck of cards on my wrist, but a 47mm PAM looks right at home. For reference, my wrist is 7.5" in diameter and about 2.5" across (wide).

If you want to get into Panerai, you have so few options on the smaller side that you really don't get to enjoy the brand -- you've boxed yourself in. If I may suggest a 45mm Radiomir model as a test run, that will open you up to the brand and to a number of options -- its slim and wears comfortably (my wife really likes them). If Radiomirs don't suit your fancy, the 44mm Luminor is truly quite manageable and has a number of variants that keep you engaged with the brand.

Just my two cents, but unless you've tried on the "full-size" models and can't wear them, I'd give them a shot. Your eyes can deceive as easily as they illuminate in the watch game ...

rustypanda

Horology Curious
6/3/18
Hey thanks for your detailed and thoughtful response, much appreciated.
I’ve never actually measured my wrist perhaps it’s about time I do.

Maybe it’s worth trying out the models you’ve mentioned in store and see how they wear.

Thanks again friendo

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
Hey thanks for your detailed and thoughtful response, much appreciated.
I’ve never actually measured my wrist perhaps it’s about time I do.

Maybe it’s worth trying out the models you’ve mentioned in store and see how they wear.

Thanks again friendo

There is a formula for "acceptable" wrist size for a given watch diameter.

Watch diameter in mm x 4 / 25.4 = Acceptable wrist size in inch
Watch diameter in mm x 4 / 10 = Acceptable wrist size in cm

For example, a 42mm PAM

42mm x 4 / 25.4 = 6.61"
42mm x 4 / 10 = 16.8cm

Technically, that would disqualify me from even looking at 42mm PAMs and I don't own a single one. All of my PAMs are 44mm and up. :lol: Plus Panerai are meant to be worn big as the cliche goes.

JOP

Renowned Member
30/1/17
I'm thinking that this formula better considered as a guide for classic shape of wrist watches.
Definately works but been somekind unfair to watches like panerai that has bigger case than others.
I mean that some watches look smaller than their size.

Maybe we have to consider dial presence too and find our "golden cut" by combining both...

Also, a lot of difference on how we feel a watch has to do with its' hight.
I 'm speaking about the hight that the case sits on wrist, i don't think that its' hight above dial has same importance.

Jamos

You're Saying I Can Sell?
21/11/13
Uk
You have the gen release from Baselworld which is a 38mm piece and I think look fantastic.
Just need to get ARF or Noob to make them

JOP

Renowned Member
30/1/17
i wasn't know that, nice move!

P1161062.jpg

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
You have the gen release from Baselworld which is a 38mm piece and I think look fantastic.
Just need to get ARF or Noob to make them

The gen looks nice but again, no factory has made anything with the new caseset size. Also ARF has never made PAMs (although JF tried to do it a few years back but unsuccessful). ;)

Reactions: Jamos

Vonn

15/11/16
I had the same issues as you.
I went for a 432 (44mm Luminor) I could score pretty cheap and I like it. Altough it is pretty hefty on my wrist and I can't wear it with most of my shirts, no matter if french cuff or normal cuffs it is still one of my favorite pieces for casual wear.
After some time I also scored a 338 (42mm Radiomir) and man I am in love. Snugs perfectly on my wrist, the dial is the same size as my 44mm 432, it fits under all cuffs and suits, just perfect.
Now for recommodations:
Basically you have to choose between five options:
1.) Basic Luminors (40 and 44mm) The standard case, IMHO compared to the 44mm the 40mm look dispropotionate due to having the same height.
2.) New 42mm acciaio Luminor. super slim.
3.) 1950 Case Luminor comes in 42mm, slim.
4.) Radiomir wire lug case: Comes in 42mm, super slim.
5.) Radiomir 1940 case: comes in 42mm, slim.
6.) Submersible: comes in 42mm, looks bulky IMHO.

If I could get a third PAM I would opt for a 42mm Luminor with the new movement (slim case). I like the 676, but the sunburst dial kills it for me. The 392 could be an option, but it is a bit taller due to the different case.

I personally like the 1950 case, but unfortunately it does not come in 44mm.

rustypanda

Horology Curious
6/3/18
I hear the factories are not interested in making any new panerai, which is a shame because the 38mm is absolutely gorgeous, and any decent rep of that I’d jump on to it