• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Pam 021 dsn

The Rod

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/17
Hey guys,

what are your thoughts about this DSN special?

https://www.dsnwatches.com/2017/12/07/pam-021-watch-2/

Seems to me like a pretty good rep of the grail of the grails in Panerai history. I'm not sure I believe that the watch is actually Platinum plated but it looks good, from the dial down to the movement.

Virpag

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
26/3/13
I bought one as soon as it was avalible. First one arrived dead sent it back. The second watch came and the stem was screwed up sent it to my watchsmith twice to fix. Got a new strap and only worn it once. I do love the watch look but it was a rough journey. I might need to wear it this weekend.....

WHat i heard the second version is better and the movement production was better

The Rod

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/17
I bought one as soon as it was avalible. First one arrived dead sent it back. The second watch came and the stem was screwed up sent it to my watchsmith twice to fix. Got a new strap and only worn it once. I do love the watch look but it was a rough journey. I might need to wear it this weekend.....

WHat i heard the second version is better and the movement production was better

Thanks for the feedback, I was curious to understand how the new movement is holding up as Davidsen is supposedly selling them serviced...

Could you post a few pics please?

Virpag

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
26/3/13
Thanks for the feedback, I was curious to understand how the new movement is holding up as Davidsen is supposedly selling them serviced...

Could you post a few pics please?

Serviced......no not in my opinion if it was serviced then DOA and non fuctioning would have never happened. I will try to post pictures over the weekeend

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
The movements have been developed and are assembled with the help of a proper watchsmith. A bridge modification to that extention is no joke and needed some special tweaks as far as I am told. I guess this got somehow translated to "serviced" :)

HAS17HA

You're Saying I Can Sell?
28/11/17
I pulled the trigger and purchased the V2 of DSN PAM 021 and had the watch for little more than a week now. The watch definitely has some kind of a coating on the watch case whether said coating is platinum or not. I'm going by the color and the shine compared to polished stainless steel and had it next to one of my friends platinum rings. The strap that came with is nice but as expected of a rep not the highest quality nor it's actual crocodile leather. Davidsen was nice enough to send me an extra open-ended rivet strap along with the closed back cover as well. I have ordered an alligator strap for it already.
Anyway when the watch arrived it was almost at full wind and was stalled. But when I wound it up just by a single turn the movement started ticking and started going strong. I was working from home that day and only wore the watch just for a while and had it set aside on my desk rest of the time to keep and eye out /admire. It ran perfectly the whole day till I set it aside for the night. Next morning I found the watch has stalled itself sometime around midnight and had more than 50% power reserve . So I sent an email to Davidsen just raising concern and promised to monitor the watch through that weekend. I started it up with a single wind again and wore the watch entire day and found the watch stalled couple of times that morning. But after the second time it started to get the hang of it and started behaving like it should be and ran strong. That was last weekend and I have been wearing the watch everyday since and it never stalled on me once.

I guess the movement being brand new and hand assembled/modified the tolerances are bit tight and needs time to adjust to shakes and shocks when worn and temperature changes as well. Anyway that's my guess.

One small concern is that Davidsen never wrote back. I was offered one year warranty on this by him and when I raised the concern for the first time I thought because it was during the weekend and I just threw it out there just for the record and then two days after I mailed back saying everything is good and in order, nothing from him again.
I wasn't fuzzed because at the first time I just raised a concern and next time just mailed back to say all good, but would have been nice for Davidsen to acknowledge the concern.
Anyway I'm a very happy camper and this watch has the crowning position in my collection for the time being.

uzvA8.jpg

uzzMU.jpg

uzKqD.jpg

uz6bh.jpg
uzVls.jpg
upAAp.jpg

Reactions: pechspils

HAS17HA

28/11/17
It's a bit round :football: ...

panerai21.jpg

It's the angle of the shot. Also the actual PAM021 has a different case compared to other Radiomirs and 3646 cases. This is according to Davidsen. Davidsen has some how got his hands on a gen PAM021 and 3D scanned the case to get the actual shape and size. There is a bit about how different it is from other cases in his site.
http://www.dsnwatches.com/2017/11/10/pam-021-watch/

Nick_B

Known Member
7/7/18
It's the angle of the shot. Also the actual PAM021 has a different case compared to other Radiomirs and 3646 cases.

Well, I looked again at the DSN page (v2 P021 here) and I'm even more convinced that the case is wrong. The image I posted above is a P021, as is the one you will see below. The cushion shape of mid case on the original is much more pronounced:

14B041-W_10.jpg

Reactions: river325

Vicar69

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
29/7/17
London, UK
It's a work of art. I had one for a while - but as lovely as it looked, the solid lugs meant a real pain re strap changes.

Reactions: HAS17HA

Nick_B

Known Member
7/7/18
It's a work of art.

C'mon. The case is borked :D

And I hear you about soldered lugs...

That said, the dial, hands, display caseback and movement are great. If DSN comes up with a v3 with the midcase dimensions correct, I'll be in the queue.

Last edited:

HAS17HA

28/11/17
All I know is that if DSN says and shows that he's got his hands on a 021 to scan it, I'll take his word.
And there are only few of these gen ones around that most of photos have come from one watch or two that claimed it's 021.
Anyway having owned DSN one for sometime, I can testify that it's so shiny and bright the corners of the case blends in and almost disappear according to lighting and surroundings.
Almost changes shape.
Once they are used a bit, platinum being not that great at hardness, I guess they acquire a bit of dullness that emphasizes the edges a bit more.
This can be seen in this not so great quality video from 90s I guess
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RRoHc_j1c8
Also one of the watches that came to Christies has the rounded look in lower corners

EgPYs.jpg

Anyway, in this hobby if you are satisfied with the watch you got then it's the best out there, that's the case for me at least.
And I hear ya Nick_B , all this doesn't mean the rep watch can't be improved, I'm sure DSN will come up with a better version in not so near future wich you can go for.
But you can't deny that this V2 is a work of art as Vicar69 said because it IS and you can take Vicar69 word for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vicar69

Nick_B

Known Member
7/7/18
All I know is that if DSN says and shows that he's got his hands on a 021 to scan it, I'll take his word.

As is your prerogative. Although he didn't make that claim in the link you provided and the images he used were from another site.

Once they are used a bit, platinum being not that great at hardness

Platinum is 3.5 on the Mohs scale compared to steel at 4 - 4.5, so it's fairly resistant to wear. That said, the durability of the plating depends on the metallic composition and thickness of the layer, so nothing definitive to say here, really.

Also one of the watches that came to Christies has the rounded look in lower corners

It looks like the other P021s shown above, and not like the DSN case. Pronounced cushion shape to the midcase in the gen.

Anyway, in this hobby if you are satisfied with the watch you got then it's the best out there, that's the case for me at least

And quite right too. Nor would 99.99 percent of people know or care about whether the thing was a bit lacking in the shoulderpad department :)

No worries. Enjoy the watch.

PeterRei

28/12/12
The angels of the case are definitely false. He never claimed he got his hands on a gen 021. Also his 232 case is totally wrong. If you look at it from the side it seems sort of OK, but if you look from the front it's really wrong. I wished I could say the opposite, but that's how it is.

C5000

29/6/12
I have a DSN 292 that I love. It would be nice if the mods suggested he clean up and freshen up his dealer section...no updates, no website...