• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Bought my first PAM plus hand winding question

Jay15180

Horology Curious
20/12/15
Hi everyone!

I'm glad to finally join the club and start posting in this forum. I recently bought a VSF PAM312 V2 from Ryan and so far I'm loving it. The watch is amazing and looks/feels exactly like the gen I tried on at the AD (minus the obviously awful rep strap). I had a question about the clone P9000 however. I realize most people advise against regularly hand winding an automatic so I've basically avoided it since I received the watch. I noticed however, that the few times I have wound it, the rotor seems to spin with the crown. I don't think this is normally behavior for this watch and I worry that this indicates a lack of lubrication or a need to service the watch. What's the opinion of the board? I'm strongly considering having the movement serviced regardless just to ensure long-term reliability.

Thanks!

pamdude

Known Member
19/3/15
happened to my AP Diver couple years ago I ignored it and somehow the issue went away. But you are right it’s the lube. Maybe wear it longer and see if the lube gets distributed evenly?

Jay15180

Horology Curious
20/12/15
happened to my AP Diver couple years ago I ignored it and somehow the issue went away. But you are right it’s the lube. Maybe wear it longer and see if the lube gets distributed evenly?

Yea I searched around a bit and it seems like it a common issue on ETA 2836 movements and often the solution is to lube the reverse wheels. I wasn't sure if this information was applicable to the P9000 so I thought I'd ask. I'm going to have the watchsmith look it over and update the forum when I find out.

Grimlocktime

Put Some Respect On My Name
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
3/5/13
This generally indicates poorly lubricated jewels in the auto wind mechanism. Or a bad reversing wheel. Both are easy to remedy. And I believe this movement accepts 7750 parts. But I could be remembering incorrectly.

capice

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/07
I wouldn't handwind an automatic if the rotor gives enough power.

Jay15180

Horology Curious
20/12/15
I generally avoid handwinding it but I noticed that if i let the power reserve run down it needs a wind or two to get it going again. It seems to “stick” when the movement stops. Also I’ve noticed that it only spins the rotor when the watch is facing down. Perhaps that indicates the oil is moving? Hopefully the watchsmith will have more info.

Natas78

Trusted Watchmaker
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
21/8/11
EU
Actually hand winding is beneficial for timekeeping with any automatic watch that allows handwinding.
If you depend on winding by rotor only then the timekeeping will suffer and it will probably never be fully wound.
This is what they taught us at watchmaking school.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Rotador