• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Best Leather, most GEN leather strap on a REP Panerai ?

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/12/15
johnlogan Have you gotten any aftermarket straps for your Panerai yet? Any recommendations?

I need up using a guy from DH gate. Looks to be from the same factory that supplies the TDs. They are 70% ok but not all the way GEN feel. Probably dog or cat leather:(

DoesNotExist

Known Member
1/10/16
it's worthless to think about the quality of rep straps. Better to throw in the garbage as soon as the watch is delivered in your hands

In the 50-100 €/$ area there are plenty of suppliers with a very good quality. Going north of 100 €/$ there are some very good pieces which are used also on gen

The pleasure of Panerai is the possibility to switch straps very easily, changing the overall look of every model

preppyr6

I'm Pretty Popular
29/10/15
I love the PAM asso straps, but they always wear out the sides where the buckle rubs. Im wondering if gen have the same problem (assuming not). Rather not pay the PAM tax for gen if possible. Anyone have any specific strap maker suggestions? Otherwise, Ill just start contacting the ones listed here.

Reactions: johnlogan

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
I have straps from 12 or 14 different makers at the moment and I think one of my favorite straps is one made by L’Invitta Legione
http://www.linvittalegione.com/watch-straps Its kind of in that sweet spot where it’s really good quaility for a really reasonable price. Even amongst ones that I paid twice as much for. It’s good quality, soft, flexible. I love the feel and way it bends. There are some I’ve tried that seem a little better but there’s a big difference in price. Or some that are less expensive but sometimes the quality drops off.

When looking for a strap though, the deciding factor for me is generally the look that I’m going for. I end up with one strap over another because they have a leather I want, or a style I want or some other differentiating factor. For that strap.

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/12/15
I have straps from 12 or 14 different makers at the moment and I think one of my favorite straps is one made by L’Invitta Legione
http://www.linvittalegione.com/watch-straps Its kind of in that sweet spot where it’s really good quaility for a really reasonable price. Even amongst ones that I paid twice as much for. It’s good quality, soft, flexible. I love the feel and way it bends. There are some I’ve tried that seem a little better but there’s a big difference in price. Or some that are less expensive but sometimes the quality drops off.

When looking for a strap though, the deciding factor for me is generally the look that I’m going for. I end up with one strap over another because they have a leather I want, or a style I want or some other differentiating factor. For that strap.

These straps are featured a lot on instagram :http://www.linvittalegione.com/watch-straps

Looks amazing.

ymee

You're Saying I Can Sell?
1/10/19
Why not just buy a genuine strap from Panerai? Do the genuine straps have the pam logos?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Hazing

9/5/19
Why not just buy a genuine strap from Panerai? Do the genuine straps have the pam logos?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

A lot of people do have gen Panerai Straps but there are 2 reasons I can think of why more people don’t and why those who do, don’t have more of them.

1. Options. Panerai doesn’t have as many options. They’re more conservative so they have a lot of brown variations or black variations or colors in rubber but many are just traditional and conservative with not much “personality”. Panerai probably has 300-500 options across all sizes. Where as on your own, you have infinite possibilities. Most of the straps I have, are not finishes and looks that Panerai uses on their straps.

2. Cost. A cheap Panerai leather strap is going to cost you 200. The rubbbers are just under 200. Average is probably 300? And some of the other guys can chine in more accurately. But 300, 400 are common and $650 Straps are not out of the realm of possibility. A strap and buckle combo? Double that. Remember these are $5,000-10,000-20,000 watches. They’re not going to slap an 80 strap on them.

So we hit the strap makers who have good leather and good craftsmanship and get something that looks and feels almost just as good. A strap and buckle for 200 instead of 800. It really makes a difference when you get a 2nd or 3rd strap for $300 (total) instead of $3,000.

Hazing

9/5/19
And yes, they do have the logo (rubbers have logo on the outside) or Officine Panerai (leathers on the inside) branding on them.

And aftermarket straps can still sometimes cost almost just as much.

Nivka

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/4/15
Australia
There were some Asso straps that were very good -- not gen comparable, but respectable. There was also straps that came on the first few batches of 569s and 382s that were pretty decent.

I wouldn't hold out for consistency or a marked improvement any time soon though. I also wouldn't be surprised if half are horse or dog leather. There are many great strap makers here and on Panaristi forums that will get you exactly what you want and do it at a relatively affordable price. Orloff, Simona, Kain, Strap Culture, Bond Straps, WatchAcc, Gunny, SNPR, Bakeka, etc. -- even Panatime or ZicZac. There are tons to choose from ...

Any of those in particular at $130?

i want a 22mm strap that could be paired with a 904 and a FM Casablanca

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12

Do you want it thick (3-5mm) or thinner? For thicker, Di Stefano, Kain Heritage and Strap Culture are in that price range and are great. For thinner, I'd go with the premium RIOS line at Panatime or ZicZac here for $60-100.

Reactions: Nivka and johnlogan

Hazing

9/5/19

Look in the M2M strap section. I actually posted a really nice kain Heritage that I bought for a 904 but I ordered the wrong size. It's brand new.

But yeah, for 130 you can get a lot. New or used. Check out Sonkx on this site. He's a trusted seller or supporting vendor. I forget which. Also I just bought 3 straps off Dr Phil for that came out excellent. 1 was a 22mm for a 904. They were less than 60 ea.

Also, I just had him make me a custom one for the 1616. He does good work for a really good price.

What look or style are you going foe.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Hazing

9/5/19
I but the bullet on a few more new straps. After dadog13 mentioned how good gen rubber is, I picked one up along with a horous and some others. Anxious to check out the gen and compare it to the reps and the horous.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited: