• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Time for my first Panerai? Need help!

Yknjs

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
6/3/18
Hi all guys!
Coming from Tudor/Omega world so a total newbie about Pams.
I checked this section more times and never come to a conclusion because there are a lot of models and I can’t understand size and price...
I need 3 things if possible:
price: gen has to be in the range of 2.5/3.5K usd maximum for a used one.
size: would love a 40/42mm because I love this size
accurate: the most genlike rep considering price and size.
Does it exists? :)
if anyone can help it will be much appreciated!
thanks

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
Price : We don't know and frankly we don't check to see what the second hand price is for a gen.
Size : There are some 42mm and 40mm. If you have not found the models yet, you have not been searching enough.
Accurate: There is no super rep at 40/42mm so no most genlike rep.

Yknjs

INMATE
6/3/18
Thanks for the input of no one super rep for this size!
Maybe you don’t check gen prices but someone else have to do it to have an idea of what they are wearing around...
Maybe I haven’t read enough but believe me I have read a lot...
Anyway thanks again for your input...

rivethead1096

You're Saying I Can Sell?
28/8/16
Yknjs the smaller PAMs are usually for women and there aren't too many good choices out there. If you get a smaller 42mm PAM you'll definitely have to mod it to get it as close to GEN as possible... now the only other issue is that the dials won't be as readily available or your choices will be extremely limited.

Yknjs

INMATE
6/3/18
Yknjs the smaller PAMs are usually for women and there aren't too many good choices out there. If you get a smaller 42mm PAM you'll definitely have to mod it to get it as close to GEN as possible... now the only other issue is that the dials won't be as readily available or your choices will be extremely limited.

Thanks mate!
It seems that I have to change my ideas and go with a 44 size!
With this size the entry level should be a Luminor base if there is a first class rep..

Rotador

I'm Pretty Popular
28/9/14
Yknjs, I recommend you to take a look at Luminor 44 mm models. For example, PAM 111. Even on a small wrist (like mine) they look good.

This is my PAM 111:

IMG_20171229_143957871_HDR%2Bcrom%2B1024.jpg

Yknjs

INMATE
6/3/18
Mate your picture it’s stunning!
With this kind of pictures I will love a swatch too :)
May ask you your wrist size?
Thanks

mskwatch

I'm Pretty Popular
12/3/15
EU
Maybe it's a cliche, but Panerai should be bigger than average watches. Don't be scared, find a shop and try it on your wrist. Maybe in the first minutes it will feel strange, but trust me, if you love the stile you will get used to it. Moreover, try to understand what you like - Luminor (with crown guard) or Radiomir (without). The second one usually wears smaller compared to Luminor.

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
Maybe you don’t check gen pricesbut someone else have to do it to have an idea of what they are wearing around...

If someone else can do it, why can't you?

Maybe I haven’t read enough but believe me I have read a lot...

If you read just one thread in this section, the PAM Review Reference Guide (also known as the PAM Bible) would have been enough. Check the thread in my signature, you'll find all you need to know.

Last edited:
Reactions: mech500

Yknjs

INMATE
6/3/18
Maybe it's a cliche, but Panerai should be bigger than average watches. Don't be scared, find a shop and try it on your wrist. Maybe in the first minutes it will feel strange, but trust me, if you love the stile you will get used to it. Moreover, try to understand what you like - Luminor (with crown guard) or Radiomir (without). The second one usually wears smaller compared to Luminor.

i love the style...
yes I think I should go and try different gens,than take a decision...

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
i love the style...
yes I think I should go and try different gens,than take a decision...

If you have access to an AD (authorized dealer) it is recommended you try on the watches in the metal so you can test out the fit and see what works (and does not work) for you. It's recommended you not wear a watch (and especially a rep) there. An empty wrist signals to the salesperson that it is in need of accessorizing so they might be more welcoming (might even get the full service with food and drinks and the free catalogue). :)

Yknjs

INMATE
6/3/18
If you have access to an AD (authorized dealer) it is recommended you try on the watches in the metal so you can test out the fit and see what works (and does not work) for you. It's recommended you not wear a watch (and especially a rep) there. An empty wrist signals to the salesperson that it is in need of accessorizing so they might be more welcoming (might even get the full service with food and drinks and the free catalogue). :)

Lol you are right for sure! :)
After reading your guide about ref.111 I finally choose to go for it,hope to find an AD to try it on my wrist.
Your guide its really complete and helpful,thanks a lot for your work...

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
Lol you are right for sure! :)
After reading your guide about ref.111 I finally choose to go for it,hope to find an AD to try it on my wrist.
Your guide its really complete and helpful,thanks a lot for your work...

It's actually ALE7575 's work. I'm just here to look after it. :)

Reactions: phdsjain

Yknjs

INMATE
6/3/18
As always I can’t wait to try a gen!
I had a good deal for a 111 noob V3 :)
I hope to get it soon and start to be an active member of this section...
Thanks for your help!

Rotador

I'm Pretty Popular
28/9/14
PAM 111 is always a good choice, Yknjs. Don't forget that it is important to have patience in this hobby. Therefore, don't be hurry.

An empty wrist signals to the salesperson that it is in need of accessorizing so they might be more welcoming (might even get the full service with food and drinks and the free catalogue). :)
It's a good advice. :)

JOP

Renowned Member
30/1/17

A cliche that always help!
You will hear it from many of us and you will not give a cherry unless you try them, so be careful;
A 47mm has a 39mm dial... it's not an enormous watch, most 45mm pilots have bigger. Has a length (57mm) that will shows weird over a 6" wrist
but generally, if your wrist can handle 45mm pilots, you will probably be fine. Otherwise, older models with wire lugs look smaller in length.
44mm - 45mm pams have something close to 37mm dial... please grub a caliper and measure the crystal of a 42mm watch, you will understand..
42mm editions have 34.5mm dial. I don't know what size of watches you enjoy but it's small and i 'm happy that i try one before i place an order.
I don't know what size dial 40mm pams have.

Another size that you will have to deal with is the height of watch head. That is tough to imagine and kind of personal taste - style.
You also have some help about height. A closed case back will shorten it a bit, specially if you want it (thin caseback). A flat crystal
will make it more easy to handle.
ps; i thought that 16mm height will be tall. Its not much, i use it easily everyday.

Last edited:

Yknjs

INMATE
6/3/18
Thank you all guys!
I love Panerai story and also unique look...
Hope to find it nice for my wrist (7 inches) too...

gigi77

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/17
An alternative is the Pam390, more vintage looking with tobacco dial and lovely gold hands. The size is 44mm and it is available as super rep.

panerai_pam_390_1489572092_7753141b.jpg

maxpet

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/1/14
Austria
Thanks mate!
It seems that I have to change my ideas and go with a 44 size!
With this size the entry level should be a Luminor base if there is a first class rep..

If you want one of the "cheapest" gen PAMs, you should go for the 000 I guess. But better go for the 111 as it just looks better IMO. I believe that the 44mm PAM doesn't wear that big. I've got a gen seamaster 300m master co-axial with 42mm diameter and for me my old shitty 111 rep wore better on my wrist (I've got a really small wrist btw) EDIT: too late but I'm sure you'll have fun with your 111