• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Thoughts on the 38mm Luminor Due

jsbaker88

Known Member
3/8/15
Hi all

Having been a fan of the PAM style for sometime but not the large case size (due to fairly small wrists).. the new 38mm Luminor Due models came of interest to me.

What do you make of them as seasoned PAM fans; are they a welcome addition to the line up making the brand more accessible to those with a preference for smaller watches or do they detract from the brands heritage and styling for which Panerai is so easily identifiable?

Personally I would love to see the Anthracite face model repped but am sceptical i’ll see the day (at least with any great quality) given demand is likely to be lower than for other models. Thoughts?

I am now 50/50 whether to pull the trigger on a gen. only thing holding me back is whether values will drop like a stone in which case I may hold off until something pops up on the secondary. Not keen on the feminine mint strap but I think the blue looks good and expect they’ll release a sand version

https://monochrome-watches.com/pane...-accacio-38mm-pam00903-pam00755-review-price/

Cheers
James

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
I don't think we'll ever see a rep of these. About the gen, I'm not sure I see the point in making a 38mm watch and adding a crownguard. A Radiomir style case would have been more logical and proportioned imho.
But of course I'm biased, I wear almost only 47mm Pam's :)

poinds

17/4/17
Hi all

Having been a fan of the PAM style for sometime but not the large case size (due to fairly small wrists).. the new 38mm Luminor Due models came of interest to me.

What do you make of them as seasoned PAM fans; are they a welcome addition to the line up making the brand more accessible to those with a preference for smaller watches or do they detract from the brands heritage and styling for which Panerai is so easily identifiable?

Personally I would love to see the Anthracite face model repped but am sceptical i’ll see the day (at least with any great quality) given demand is likely to be lower than for other models. Thoughts?

I am now 50/50 whether to pull the trigger on a gen. only thing holding me back is whether values will drop like a stone in which case I may hold off until something pops up on the secondary. Not keen on the feminine mint strap but I think the blue looks good and expect they’ll release a sand version

https://monochrome-watches.com/pane...-accacio-38mm-pam00903-pam00755-review-price/

Cheers
James

30 metre water resistance and a crown guard meant for diving. Makes total sense. The Radiomir case at 38 mm would have made more sense.

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
Thanks. Also appreciate the condescending delivery

I was giving you information that you can use. Infinitely better than later down the road you buy the gen, you swim wearing it in the pool and you wonder why water has leaked in. Now if you found issue with your perception of the delivery, with the rather vague and impersonal nature of forums, that was not the intent and something you should look into.

mskwatch

I'm Pretty Popular
12/3/15
EU
You can always buy another strap and honestly I think latest modern PAMs are not a good investment

jsbaker88

Known Member
3/8/15
Appreciate all of your responses which have convinced me this was a bad idea.

Having small wrists really is a killer.. I may see if my local AD has the 40mm Luminor Marina in to try for size and go from there.. or perhaps a PAM 70 if one pops up from the pre-owned dealers

Last edited:

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
Appreciate all of your responses which have convinced me this was a bad idea.

Having small wrists really is a killer.. I may see if my local AD has the 40mm Luminor Marina in to try for size and go from there.. or perhaps a PAM 70 if one pops up from the pre-owned dealers

If you find that 40mm fits your wrists fine, you can check out the PAM049 or the PAM050 which are very nicely made as statee by one of the expert builders of PAM frankens here Grimlocktime .

Reactions: shr3dthegnarbrah

jsbaker88

Known Member
3/8/15
Went for the PAM01048 (2018 Pam 48) and couldn’t be happier!!

Thanks again all

69A9954B-E4E8-4C9D-A4B2-FA7560108E31_zpsaqay1q6b.jpeg

Reactions: reppin

miami_YG

Supporter
Certified
17/2/17
NY USA
Congrats jsbaker88

I've actually seen a couple of the Due out in the wild in NYC... maybe it's just the anthracite dial but they don't look bad. I agree that the concept is pretty stupid (hell aren't even DJ's waterproof to 100m?) but based on my anecdotal observations I disagree that they won't sell OK.

stoyania

15/4/16
jsbaker88 bought a gen, the PAM01048 has not been replicated yet. As for the PAM048/049 I would suggest asking the TDs about it. Good luck! :)

thanks mysterio i think my choices are:
048 - DW issue
049 - 7750 is not my favorite mechanism
337 - 42mm Radiomir but not automatic
512 - same as 337

decisions, decisions! it will probably end up being whatever is available at the TD

mysterio any other recommendations?

Last edited:

Watchlover4175

Horology Curious
13/3/19
I tried a 42mm luminor due on the wrist at an authorized dealer and it is stunning. The size makes the watch much more dressy and it is finally very versatile, depending on the strap you add to the watch.

Watchlover4175

Horology Curious
13/3/19
I am quite surprized that the PAM904 is not more discussed here. I was quite suspicious about the sunray dial of the rep but having seen the gen, it looks very similar finally.

The Rod

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/17
I am quite surprized that the PAM904 is not more discussed here. I was quite suspicious about the sunray dial of the rep but having seen the gen, it looks very similar finally.

Luminor due have not been very popular in the hardcore paneristi community, plus Panerai as a brand has been a bit down in the last year.

Finally consider that the PAM904 rep is all of 4mm thicker than gen and you understand why people around here have not been overly enthusiastic about it.

Reactions: stoyania

Watchlover4175

Horology Curious
13/3/19
Luminor due have not been very popular in the hardcore paneristi community, plus Panerai as a brand has been a bit down in the last year.

Finally consider that the PAM904 rep is all of 4mm thicker than gen and you understand why people around here have not been overly enthusiastic about it.

Absolutelly, I did not realize that the rep is 4mm thicker than the gen, which is quite huge ... All the interest of the Due, which in my humble opinion is great, is the fact it is slimer than other PAMs.

PAM tried to follow the very strong trend of smaller watches with the Due, and reviews on Hodinkee or similar blogs were good actually. But for some reasons, PAM aficianados did not follow.

Thanks for your input on this!