• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The thickness in the gens and in the reps

membrelli

I'm Pretty Popular
5/8/15
I looked for a internet site that shows the thicknesses of the watches, but I did not find anything. Usually only the diameter is reported
But to understand if a REP is good , it is necessary to know the thickness of the GEN
For example, some Panerai rep very lovable (in photo) are 16mm 17mm thick. But how tick is the GEN? It's similar or not ?
Please, how can i indicate a site where, in addition to diameter, the thickness are also shown? Thanks for help

mskwatch

I'm Pretty Popular
12/3/15
EU
if I'm not mistaken the panerai site/app doesn't always lists the thickness among the tech specs, so only way is a quick google search

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
So you want a site that lists all of the specs of the PAMs per model, in terms of thickness, diameter, etc? There is only one answer, there is none. Why? Primarily because until very recently, Panerai simply did not bother to list the thickness of their watches. They did not need to. It was generally accepted that Panerai watches were of a certain thickness. So thickness (or lack thereof) was not a selling point. Hence it is not in any of their promotional materials and it follows, that information is not usually available anywhere else.

That said, given enough time, someone with the watch and a caliper will measure it and post it somewhere in the internet, asking/answering a question or just posting the information. And then google can find that information and display it in the results. But more to the point, is there a specific model you are looking for membrelli ?

Reactions: Phil G

membrelli

I'm Pretty Popular
5/8/15
So you want a site that lists all of the specs of the PAMs per model, in terms of thickness, diameter, etc? There is only one answer, there is none. Why? Primarily because until very recently, Panerai simply did not bother to list the thickness of their watches. They did not need to. It was generally accepted that Panerai watches were of a certain thickness. So thickness (or lack thereof) was not a selling point. Hence it is not in any of their promotional materials and it follows, that information is not usually available anywhere else.

That said, given enough time, someone with the watch and a caliper will measure it and post it somewhere in the internet, asking/answering a question or just posting the information. And then google can find that information and display it in the results. But more to the point, is there a specific model you are looking for membrelli ?

Really, I have found a lot of data on the thicknesses on the internet, the problem is that often for the same watch different sites report non-homogeneous data.
I asked this question because I have buyed my first Pam, the Noob 111 and it's really great Now I would like to buy another Pam, maybe a ceramic / carbotech model.................. or a Radiomir or maybe a 47mm
The choice depends on the quality of the rep as well as on personal tastes Since Pams are already thicker in GEN, if the REP is even thicker it becomes unwatchable
I believe that you have to buy the super rep of a watch you like, do not buy the bad REp of the watch that you love the most. I love it much more Patek Worltime than PAMS but a decent rep of woeldtime does not exist and it is probably impossible For this reason, I first look for super-reps in PAM reps world and then choose .
Sir, tanks for your answer

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08

Really, I have found a lot of data on the thicknesses on the internet, the problem is that often for the same watch different sites report non-homogeneous data.
I asked this question because I have buyed my first Pam, the Noob 111 and it's really great Now I would like to buy another Pam, maybe a ceramic / carbotech model.................. or a Radiomir or maybe a 47mm
The choice depends on the quality of the rep as well as on personal tastes Since Pams are already thicker in GEN, if the REP is even thicker it becomes unwatchable
I believe that you have to buy the super rep of a watch you like, do not buy the bad REp of the watch that you love the most. I love it much more Patek Worltime than PAMS but a decent rep of woeldtime does not exist and it is probably impossible For this reason, I first look for super-reps in PAM reps world and then choose .
Sir, tanks for your answer

The PAM508 is classified as a super rep (as well as its destro sibling the PAM607). The PAM616, I would say would be a first class rep. Both watches have received the latest updated movement which was the gen function and gen look as well (although they are both closed caseback models so that is secondary). Thickness wise, these watches would probably vary from the gen by 0.5mm at most, if not have the same thickness.

celestial

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/11/17
The PAM508 is classified as a super rep (as well as its destro sibling the PAM607). The PAM616, I would say would be a first class rep. Both watches have received the latest updated movement which was the gen function and gen look as well (although they are both closed caseback models so that is secondary). Thickness wise, these watches would probably vary from the gen by 0.5mm at most, if not have the same thickness.

0.5mm is quite notable when it comes to thin watches like Daytona, but not much when it comes to PAM, which has got big denominator.

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
0.5mm is quite notable when it comes to thin watches like Daytona, but not much when it comes to PAM, which has got big denominator.

It's relative. If it were a Luminor Due. 0.5mm is almost 5%. For a submersible it's less than 3% difference.

membrelli

I'm Pretty Popular
5/8/15

Dear sir, I have read the post whith this classification of the PAM REPS
https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/panerai/106183-reference-pam-review-guide-replica-search-identification-evaluation-selection
It is very interesting but it is not updated. I look for something later but i have not found it.
Is there a post that classifies the the most recent versions of PAM REPS ?
Sometimes i can not quite define what i see, for example the pam438 attracts me a lot but I have some doubts about the date font and other particular details.
AN updated post on the classification of Pam versions new or updated would help me a lot.

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/panerai/106183-reference-pam-review-guide-replica-search-identification-evaluation-selection
It is very interesting but it is not updated. I look for something later but i have not found it.
Sometimes i can not quite define what i see, for example the pam438 attracts me a lot but I have some doubts about the date font and other particular details.
AN updated post on the classification of Pam versions new or updated would help me a lot.

Then just look for people posting that they received the latest version of the reps you are interested in. The guide isn't going to be updated if no one will post a review of the new releases. If everyone else is like you waiting for a review before buying a rep, then it might be a long time before you'll see a review.. And that is IF the first guy who buys it will even think of doing a review.

membrelli

I'm Pretty Popular
5/8/15
Then just look for people posting that they received the latest version of the reps you are interested in. The guide isn't going to be updated if no one will post a review of the new releases. If everyone else is like you waiting for a review before buying a rep, then it might be a long time before you'll see a review.. And that is IF the first guy who buys it will even think of doing a review.

Yes, sir, but I do not wait for a review before buying a REP, but we are in the forum just to read reviews Also to write them? Yes, but to say something new I will not write a review of my Pam 111 Noob because everybody knows it's a super rep. I will write a review if one day I will buy something like Villeret or JLC worldtime, watches for which there is no review today The value of the post I have linked is that the author it is a Pam expert and has probably bought many. I am not a Pam expert, I am (a little) Patek or Vacheron lover, and in fact I wrote a post to criticize the Overseas, considered by many to be superep, and I indicated those that are his faults...... IMHO Everyone in the forum give something and receive. For this I always ask, then maybe I do a personal assessment that does not agree with what you have been answered. This is the beauty of the REPS game

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
Well I guess you have to ask the author of that thread. I'm no PAM expert either.

Norrie

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
24/5/12

Ah, the good old days when we were graced with ALE's presence. He was most definitely an asset to the forum and the work he put into that thread was incredible. Like Mysty said, the difference in thickness would be negligible. I have the 438 and it's fantastic, even the older one. You should most definitely get one. Pop it on asso and you have a 441. Two watches for the price of one.

membrelli

I'm Pretty Popular
5/8/15
Ah, the good old days when we were graced with ALE's presence. He was most definitely an asset to the forum and the work he put into that thread was incredible. Like Mysty said, the difference in thickness would be negligible. I have the 438 and it's fantastic, even the older one. You should most definitely get one. Pop it on asso and you have a 441. Two watches for the price of one.

Tanks, sir, for this info, I love 441. But some Pams are vey facinous, today there is a new 24 rep in Intime new arrivals, very nice, in photo.But I dont havr info about XF.
I always believed that Noob was the best......

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
Tanks, sir, for this info, I love 441. But some Pams are vey facinous, today there is a new 24 rep in Intime new arrivals, very nice, in photo.But I dont havr info about XF.
I always believed that Noob was the best......

Sorry, not sure what you meant by facinous, Google was no help. :lol: I actually wrote a 3 paragraph history lesson but I thought it would be boring. So TLDR: XF (and sibling VSF) have roots in PAM rep excellence. Noob is no longer King of PAM reps. H-Fac is no more.

membrelli

I'm Pretty Popular
5/8/15
Sorry, not sure what you meant by facinous, Google was no help. :lol: I actually wrote a 3 paragraph history lesson but I thought it would be boring. So TLDR: XF (and sibling VSF) have roots in PAM rep excellence. Noob is no longer King of PAM reps. H-Fac is no more.

Fascinous =fascinating

Dear sir, thanks for the info, I will look more closely at these XF and VSF Pams.

PS: If you want to send me in PM what you wrote on Pam reps, I will be grateful