• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Why is PAM so heavily replicated?

FarewellFire

You're Saying I Can Sell?
27/10/17
Dear forumites,

Maybe this one should go in the flame free zone BUT I have a question for you sesoned PAM lovers out there:

Why is it that PAM's are so heavily replicated? Don't get me wrong, I think that they're gorgeous but at the same time it is a niche brand in a world filled to the brim with brands that are more known to the general public (and hence should attract a wider target audience). But still it seems that every single PAM ever made is available as a rep. Also, a lot of these are claimed to be replicated from genuine pieces whih must cost a fortune for the replicators.

Is it because they are easy to replicate or am I missing something here.

Thanks for a great forum!

M_Hall

I'm Pretty Popular
8/10/15
I can’t answer your question but your thread made me think of this picture from Milano Airport. I would guess it’s because they sell well.

806ceb4c8ac934465c2e1ccae126caa5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
They are easy to replicate. No secret behind it. As for the heavily replicated statement, consider this, among the latest 20 reps in Puretime's feed, only 20% are PAMs, 10% are other brands and 70% are Rolex. Just to put things in perspective. ;)

FarewellFire

27/10/17
They are easy to replicate. No secret behind it. As for the heavily replicated statement, consider this, among the latest 20 reps in Puretime's feed, only 20% are PAMs, 10% are other brands and 70% are Rolex. Just to put things in perspective. ;)

Yeah, Im aware that Rolex take the cake when it comes to replicas. The thing that ot me wondering though is that I'd assume that the main market for the factories isn't you or me but rather the general Joe who's on vacation and decides to get a fake watch. And to the general public Rolex is THE watch with a capital "W". I'm also thinking that Omega´s and Breitlings would be in high demand. With this in mind I always thought that replica PAM's are a bit too common to my perceived mental picture of what the market would look like. =)

All right, enough of my babbeling...

Reactions: Richyv

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15
All true except i have never met anyone with a breitling or a friend saying he will fancy one ..so why breitling should be in high demand ?

Caveat emptor: i live in a country where it’s more likely to spot a richard mille than a breitling

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
Yeah, Im aware that Rolex take the cake when it comes to replicas. The thing that ot me wondering though is that I'd assume that the main market for the factories isn't you or me but rather the general Joe who's on vacation and decides to get a fake watch. And to the general public Rolex is THE watch with a capital "W". I'm also thinking that Omega´s and Breitlings would be in high demand. With this in mind I always thought that replica PAM's are a bit too common to my perceived mental picture of what the market would look like. =)

All right, enough of my babbeling...

Well let's forget about you and me, shall we? I've gone to the local replica watch market in the Philippines and usually stay the whole afternoon chatting with the sellers there. And since it is a replica market (not only watches but designer bags and clothes), there are a lot of foreigners who visit (and most of them on vacation). In my observation and from the talks I've had with the sellers themselves, around 2 out of 10 foreigners ask about Panerai, 5 ask about Rolex, and the remainder on Breitling, Omega, AP, Cartier (usually is from a lady or for a lady) and all the other brands. So maybe your view on Panerai's popularity or lack thereof rather is incorrect. To the general public, they couldn't care less what's on your wrist. If you were seen wearing a Rolex in that market, people would invariably say you were wearing a fake watch. Although I've had the reverse experience wearing my PAM super reps and trying to convince them I was wearing an ETA (that's what they call high end replicas there). Still not successful. :lol:

All true except i have never met anyone with a breitling or a friend saying he will fancy one ..so why breitling should be in high demand ?

Caveat emptor: i live in a country where it’s more likely to spot a richard mille than a breitling

And where you can see a Richard Mille being worn on the MRT. People wouldn't bat an eye. Hahaha

sierra-tango

Known Member
15/3/18
It is pretty clear why PAM's are so popular to replicate: Also those buyers want to have something in common with Expendables' *LOL* :matty:
Arnie took the wrong exit picking AP :clap_1:

old_man

Renowned Member
23/2/14
I can’t answer your question but your thread made me think of this picture from Milano Airport. I would guess it’s because they sell well.

806ceb4c8ac934465c2e1ccae126caa5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok wait. It's illegal to BUY replica in Italy?

I like how inconsiderate the Italian customs is to their own watch brand - I mean, an official notice telling people "don't buy PAMs cuz apparently a lot of people wear fakes it's becoming a problem we have to put out a poster for it".

Sent from the RWI App

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
Ok wait. It's illegal to BUY replica in Italy?

I like how inconsiderate the Italian customs is to their own watch brand - I mean, an official notice telling people "don't buy PAMs cuz apparently a lot of people wear fakes it's becoming a problem we have to put out a poster for it".

Sent from the RWI App

Italian customs chose Panerai because it is a known Italian brand. But the message is simply just don't buy counterfeit watches it's not a dig on how popular Panerai counterfeit watches are. If the ad were in Switzerland, they'd select a Swiss brand (and they have a lot to choose from). The image is even a bad fake (someone who is unfamiliar with the brand might think it's an actual Panerai, but most Risti know better).

Hold on, wait just one second, replicas are fake?!!! What the heck...

Actually, most in the replica hobby would make the distinction between homages, fakes and replicas. Homages are borrowing design elements from known brands. Fakes just want to capitalize on the brand recognition and slap on the brand even if the watch is nothing like the genuine watch. Replicas are faithful (as much as it can be) reproductions of the genuine watches. But to the gen world, fakes and replicas are lumped into one group, fakes.

Reactions: djsi and buddy168

JOP

Renowned Member
30/1/17
I think that no one could fight a good design. Their simplicity, art deco lines, hydrodynamic shape, robust structure..
They have a balanced set of qualities that works and feels good!

Recently i try a plastic, luminor marina shaped, childish watch that i saw in a store.
Well, this plastic piece of shame, has a nice small amount of qualities in his genes.

How can not be copied a design with that impact? Is there any greatest and pure recognition for the designers?

We design using the worldwide think tank and we believe that we own our creations.
I think that after 50 years and so much acceptance from the people around the world, the "design" should
be available back to wide public somehow.

Reactions: FarewellFire

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
Mate, this is a really nasty jurisdiction. What about our human rights to wear a well repped PAM in Venice drinking cappuchino and looking to San Giorgo Maggiore? :matty::clap:

You still have those rights. Just make sure to check in with customs that you are wearing replicas of a well-known Italian brand. I'm sure they'll pick a room with a view to Venice. :lol:

peterpl

Put Some Respect On My Name
24/7/11
Its because Panerai is popular and their designs are very simple. Probably the easiest brand to rep actually in terms of design complexity, hence there are ALOT of Panerai's that are considered super reps and I personally would not buy alot of the PAM models in gen form as the reps are almost indistinguishable

Reactions: FarewellFire

old_man

Renowned Member
23/2/14
You still have those rights. Just make sure to check in with customs that you are wearing replicas of a well-known Italian brand. I'm sure they'll pick a room with a view to Venice. :lol:

You know what I actually dig the central second hand. This makes me wonder if I wear my Marlin modded noob 111 v3/4 with gen strap, what are the real chances of getting caught...

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
Supporter
18/1/17
For me fake or replica is the same thing - is a fake with a good likeness to the real thing a replica?
When does a fake become a replica?
But thats a fireside discussion...

I travel to Italy a lot (I'm half Italian), and these posters are popular wherever there are tourists. Nothing will happen.
Half the population has a fake this, that or the other, and this is just a 'gesture' to the EU to show that the government take it seriously, which of course they don't.

FarewellFire

27/10/17
For me fake or replica is the same thing - is a fake with a good likeness to the real thing a replica?
When does a fake become a replica?
But thats a fireside discussion...

I travel to Italy a lot (I'm half Italian), and these posters are popular wherever there are tourists. Nothing will happen.
Half the population has a fake this, that or the other, and this is just a 'gesture' to the EU to show that the government take it seriously, which of course they don't.

I totally agree. A fake is a fake. Sure, there are definitely different levels of craftmanship involved, but no matter the intention of the buyer - it is a fake of a design owned by someone else. I own a replica and I have no problem admitting to anyone that it is a fake, however well made it may be.