• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

3646 tr0y dial - PICS HEAVY

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
BUILDING A NW 3646
The road to hell and back

I never really posted a build thread, this one will try to be something like that.

This is what you receive from Nightwatch, a bunch of raw machined parts:

First thing I do is checking the case from all angles with a loupe then start shaping the midcase. Corners, and sides are often in need of attention.
Not all cases from NW are the same, this one had some especially thick corners.

One thing that's important to notice is the raw finish of the case. It will take you a lot of work if you want to remove those marks by hand and trust me your fingers will be begging for mercy once you're done :)

Shaping almost done:

At this point it all became blurry :)
I gave the final shaping touches, soldered crown tube and wire lugs, refinished and aged the midcase. I'll try to take pics of the soldering process for the next build.
Then I sent it to Alfio for some strap stitching :)

Here it's back:

While waiting for the midcase to come back from Alfio's I took care of bezel and caseback. I opted for a Sternkreuz N plexi for this build. Plexi has been aged and crazed.

A few details of the wonderful Tr0y dial lumed by Bigwaved:

And here it is finished:

A few hours later, in a famous photo studio :donttellanyone::

Naahh just kidding, there still is a long road to go :)

Finally some glamour shots:

That's all, but just for now. There will be more to come.
Hope you enjoyed the reading and pics :)

Sogeha

Known Member
18/7/15
Very interesting to see how it is done, thank you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

granvino

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
3/4/11
Sometimes I wonder what Giovanni Panerai would think about your builds. Simply astonishing.

Natas78

Trusted Watchmaker
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
21/8/11
EU
Very cool indeed, doing my first build with soldered lugs and crown tube as we speak, not so easy to start with but once you get the hang of it it's golden :)
that Bigwaved dial magic is something else! That's a 3-piece with plexi indices right?

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Very cool indeed, doing my first build with soldered lugs and crown tube as we speak, not so easy to start with but once you get the hang of it it's golden :)
that Bigwaved dial magic is something else! That's a 3-piece with plexi indices right?

Yes, three piece with plexi insert. This one's from a custom batch made by an HF member a while ago.

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Sometimes I wonder what Giovanni Panerai would think about your builds. Simply astonishing.

I think he would run after me with a wooden stick trying to beat the hell out of me :)

ihs0yz

14/12/15
Malaysia
That dial looks like it literally went to hell and back. Pictures are amazing, from the first to last!

joegut

Known Member
12/3/17
@kilowattore your really a master on watch making. So incredible piece with so much work done. The dial it's great!! Congratulations to every one involved in the process.

rhaug

Known Member
25/8/15
Thank you for taking the time to share your work and process, it’s beautiful and inspiring.

What tool do you use for reshaping and polishing?

And where does one get a dial like that? Is there any selection others?

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Thank you for taking the time to share your work and process, it’s beautiful and inspiring.

What tool do you use for reshaping and polishing?

And where does one get a dial like that? Is there any selection others?

Reshaping and polishing are all done by hand with files and sandpaper. Only the final polishing steps, and only on some watches (like this one) are done using a dremel with felt and cotton wheels plus some dialux compounds.

This specific dial came from a small.production batch an HF member called tr0y organized.
There was a lot of study regarding the shape of indices, engravings and plexi.
Then production started, it took a year I think before dials where ready and for a while I thought I would have never seen my dials nor my money.
I was wrong :)

piero980

I'm Pretty Popular
1/10/16
Nice my friend...nice!!!!

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando RWI

pamdude

Known Member
19/3/15
I have a tr0y 2533 dial finished by bigwaved. Can't wait to put it in my next build.

Your 3646 is truely a museum piece!