• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Vintage Panerai 6152/1 LPMM - pics heavy

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Vintage Panerai 6152/1
LUMINOR PANERAI MARINA MILITARE

Here is my latest build, a 6152/1 with a dial which I call the "classic of classics", it's the iconic 4 liner LUMINOR PANERAI MARINA MILITARE dial with seconds at 9 which identifies the moment when Panerai stopped equipping their watches with Rolex calibers and switched to Angelus.
The Angelus choice was lead by its characteristics of solidity and its huge 8 days power reserve. This last feature had obvious advantages for a military use and also allowed for the use of a seconds hand for better time accuracy.

About at the same time, we're talking about the end of the 50's/beginning of 60's, Panerai stopped using radium based luminous compounds to lume their dials and developed a less dangerous material called Luminor (some members disagree, but my sources state the Luminor compound was based on tritium).
These new dials featured thinner and smaller numbers ad indices in order to make room for the seconds subdial at 9. It is interesting to note that the white engravings at the center of the dial (be it LP, MM, LPMM or MMLP) became smaller and thinner too.

Case-wise, the ref. 6152/1 is the result of decades of researching started back in 1938 with the 3646 cases made by Rolex, passed through some experimentation with the welded lugs prototype which in turn evolved to 6152 and 6154 cases first, then 6152/1 no CG.

Finally, the need for a better water resistance led to the development of the crown protecting device (crownguard). This can be defined the one feature that differentiates a Panerai from any other watch available before and after. The device consisted of a half moon bridge surrounding the crown, at the center of the bridge a lever was designed to push the crown tightly towards the case when closed thus creating the desired water resistance.

Well, enough babbling about the old times, here's some detail about this build :)

The base is one of the "barebones" Jackson cases Nightwatch started to offer recently. It's essentially a standard unfinished Jackson MM68 case set which comes with lugs and crown tube holes already drilled.

Even more interestingly it features the correct "BREVET +", "6152/1" and serial number engravings between the lugs.

This case needed to be shaped, aged and refinished just like any other Jackson case so lots of elbow grease went into it :)

I added to this case the missing parts such as movement holder, pressure-fit lugbars, T25 plexiglass, spring-loaded crown and brass tube and, of course, the crown guard.

Allow me to write a few words about this CG, it is the latest CG Nightwatch has to offer and is imho by far his best, scary close to the gen CG's we can see on the gens. Compared to his older offering, the new CG features an overall improved shape, larger lever pin, newly designed lever and lever tip, a little wider inner cutout and awesomely crisp "BREV. ITAL" engravings and punched number on the back. Small details, I know, but that's what this all is about ;)

CG needed some attention anyway, as in softening and polishing the upper and bottom edge of the inner cutout, brushing a little the bottom corner of CG and softening and polishing the upper CG edge. CG top brushed surface has been smoothened a little and inner lever has been reshaped for a proper tight fit.

If I am allowed to give an input for improvement, I'd make it a little thicker since in gen pics it's usual to see the CG overlap the case a little on the back.

To complete this build Bigwaved sent me an incredibly awesome dial painted and lumed by him. This is dial is so perfect, lume color, thin numbers, thin engravings, matte finish... Thanks Dave, none of this could be possible without your help :)
Obviously Athaya tall tube curved hands were a must for this build, I won't go into the details of the aging process I followed for these but trust me, it took a while ;)

Finally, as keeping the budget under control is imperative for me, the movement choice fell to the cheap and reliable asian 6497 instead of a very expensive Angelus cal. 240. I prefer a closed caseback anyway as it sits flatter on the wrist so the only compromise I had to accept visually is its slightly wrong subdial spacing.

The icing on the cake is a beautiful "74" strap from L'Invitta Legione, I really do love their straps!

Few more pics:

Hope you enjoyed the reading and pics, new projects coming soon!

Last edited:

fredl187

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
17/5/14
phew, Kilo....another amazing build and lots of interesting details. great pics, too.

love this build - really awesome. Thanky for sharing!

cheers

D

d4m.test

Just wow @kilowattore

Another superb vintage build. We need more of these threads here. There are a lot of new members here that dive straight into out of the box reps without developing a love for the vintage pieces that spawned today's designs. This is the kind of stuff that encourages new guys to buy a set of tools and start building! Truly what makes this hobby great. Keep it up brother.

BTW, kilo, hopefully tomorrow I'll be finishing my very first Angelus build! A Four Liner! I'll share some pics.

svshawn

Renowned Member
24/2/14
Never been a big fan of vintage builds because of the tendency people have to beat the watch to hell for period correctness. This build is stunning. Really enjoyed it, wear it in good health and if you ever want to part with it.... let me know[emoji6]

granvino

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
3/4/11
Bravo. Choice parts and expert finish making it look so easy, which is not. Thanks man.

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Thank you my friends, the vintage bug bit me hard :)

@Grimlocktime I'm looking forward to see yours, knowing your eye for detail I'm sure it's going to be great!

stanevo6

computer says no
29/5/17
The Low Lands
What a great build. Thank you so much for alle the info with each photo. learning and learning :)
Well, enough babbling about the old times, here's some detail about this build
so there is never enough "babbling". haha please keep it coming.

Question, the 74 Strap, Isn't Peter Gunny the best in making this one?

THX again for this wonderful post!!

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
What a great build. Thank you so much for alle the info with each photo. learning and learning :)

so there is never enough "babbling". haha please keep it coming.

Question, the 74 Strap, Isn't Peter Gunny the best in making this one?

THX again for this wonderful post!!

Haha, thanks!

Many strapmakers try their hand with the 74, Gunny's is one of the nicest but this isn't half bad either ;)

stoffi

I'm Pretty Popular
24/5/12
What a beautiful 6152!!! Congratulations [emoji1303][emoji1303]

Sent from my Franken couch

D

d4m.test

Haha, thanks!

Many strapmakers try their hand with the 74, Gunny's is one of the nicest but this isn't half bad either ;)

I know Gunny has a big following with lots of huge fans. But... please allow me to introduce vintage lovers to these straps...

http://www.linvittalegione.com/mezzi-dassalto

This is a special brand produced by Wotancraft. There is nothing more to say than 1:1 true vintage style. Theses straps look like they were removed from $150K gen 6152 watches.

stanevo6

computer says no
29/5/17
The Low Lands
I know Gunny has a big following with lots of huge fans. But... please allow me to introduce vintage lovers to these straps...

This is a special brand produced by Wotancraft. There is nothing more to say than 1:1 true vintage style. Theses straps look like they were removed from $150K gen 6152 watches.

Oh Oh do you have any idea what you are doing to me and my bankaccount. anyways, thank you so much for this tip. but I should hate you, but I cant mhoehahahaha :blink:

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy

That's the De La Penne 74 mounted on my watch :)

D

d4m.test

Oh Oh do you have any idea what you are doing to me and my bankaccount. anyways, thank you so much for this tip. but I should hate you, but I cant mhoehahahaha :blink:

Glad I could "help". LOL

That's the De La Penne 74 mounted on my watch :)

Hahahahaha. I don't know how I missed that. I thought I was looking at a LL strap!

They are amazing straps.

stilo

You're Saying I Can Sell?
9/5/13
Beautiful watch @killowattore

I'm typing this post while wearing my Nightwatch built 6152/1 mounted on a Malio 74 strap. I originally went for the "well cared for" old stock look (contrary to Gordon's recommendations), but your aged case is making me look at mine and thinking that I need to hit that! lol

There's no doubt that you are a true artisan but I'm wondering why you didn't beat up the CG to match the case? I tend to bang my CG's more than any other part of the case.

Regardless, it's a work of art! Wear it in good health!

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Beautiful watch @killowattore

I'm typing this post while wearing my Nightwatch built 6152/1 mounted on a Malio 74 strap. I originally went for the "well cared for" old stock look (contrary to Gordon's recommendations), but your aged case is making me look at mine and thinking that I need to hit that! lol

There's no doubt that you are a true artisan but I'm wondering why you didn't beat up the CG to match the case? I tend to bang my CG's more than any other part of the case.

Regardless, it's a work of art! Wear it in good health!

Actually crownguards often look better taken care of than cases in gen pics, but that's not the reason. It's all about the inspiration of the moment ;)

machiavegli

7/11/11
Ran into this thread googling LPMM builds. What a pleasure to read, and an incredible creation. Photos stunning. Thanks KW

chrisi7146

You're Saying I Can Sell?
15/4/15
Eu
Fantastic build, certainly a paneristi grail watch, I've got mine on a green suede strap at the moment, I must look into changing the crystal for a more domed one.
85469ca892046de883ed2eefe9172a98.jpg

Sent from my H3113 using Tapatalk

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Fantastic build, certainly a paneristi grail watch, I've got mine on a green suede strap at the moment, I must look into changing the crystal for a more domed one.
85469ca892046de883ed2eefe9172a98.jpg

Sent from my H3113 using Tapatalk

Maybe Davidsen has some domed plexi for luminor 44mm cases although I don't know if they will fit your specific case, it looks like getat or Parnis.