• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Tale of a rivet dial - [pics heavy]

ssclassa80

Renowned Member
Supporter
1/5/13
Dow made the gilt dials over on HF. I'm lucky enough to have on in an esdee case :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ssclassa80

Renowned Member
Supporter
1/5/13
07312ae0fe54f34cbb713777868ecf95.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Duane Stinson

1/10/18
Building this watch right now with the riveted dial and came across this thread while researching. Very nicely done!!

JOP

Renowned Member
30/1/17
Your builds redefine my taste... great work!

SimmE

Looking Around
2/1/19
Thanks for such a great read! Coincidentally, we've got an early panerai and we'd love to reach out to Steph_Dexter about one of these three layered dials. Can't seem to find them on the forums, do you have a link to a profile or contact info?

Dereksdad

Horology Curious
6/1/19
Hampton Bays, New York
I desperately could use your help. I've been working on a watch for 7 years, that was left to me by my father, who I unfortunately never met. He was a navy seal in the. 50's and I suppose early 60,s. He left me a Panerai dive watch which I didn't think much of at the time, but after some research years later, as I got older, realized the history behind them. The watch I have has a back which has Rolex engraved on the back inside case, the movement is not. After researching I realized it should have an Angules movment so I purchase an old watch with that movement, unfortunately it turned out it was the year prior to the Angules movement that I actually needed. I sold that movement and purchased the correct Angules movement. I have spent thousands to get what I thought were the proper parts to make this watch as original as possible. Unfortunately when I took this to a jeweler, he said the second hand movement is not lining up with the Angelus movement and concluded that someone had a dial made to match the movment. I'm looking for someone to make a dial to match the original Angelus movment. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

thank you in advance for anything you can do to help,

Sincerely,

Keith

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
I desperately could use your help. I've been working on a watch for 7 years, that was left to me by my father, who I unfortunately never met. He was a navy seal in the. 50's and I suppose early 60,s. He left me a Panerai dive watch which I didn't think much of at the time, but after some research years later, as I got older, realized the history behind them. The watch I have has a back which has Rolex engraved on the back inside case, the movement is not. After researching I realized it should have an Angules movment so I purchase an old watch with that movement, unfortunately it turned out it was the year prior to the Angules movement that I actually needed. I sold that movement and purchased the correct Angules movement. I have spent thousands to get what I thought were the proper parts to make this watch as original as possible. Unfortunately when I took this to a jeweler, he said the second hand movement is not lining up with the Angelus movement and concluded that someone had a dial made to match the movment. I'm looking for someone to make a dial to match the original Angelus movment. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

thank you in advance for anything you can do to help,

Sincerely,

Keith

Let me see a pic of the watch please

Reactions: kuehlschrank

Dereksdad

Horology Curious
6/1/19
Hampton Bays, New York
I apologize I apparently, as a new user have upload restrictions of 97.7 KB and the picture is 5.2 MB. Do you know of another way of getting you the picture?

Again thank you very much,

Keith

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
I apologize I apparently, as a new user have upload restrictions of 97.7 KB and the picture is 5.2 MB. Do you know of another way of getting you the picture?

Again thank you very much,

Keith

You should upload the pic to a third party hosting site such as picr.me or postimg.org then copy/paste here the bbcode link

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Hi Kilowattore, thank you very much!! I’m Tech UN savy but I think I’ve got it, hope this works! If not I apologize!
Thank you again,

sincerely,

Keith

https://picr.me/dereksdad

I am sorry, maybe some clear pics of dial and case would help more, but I dont see anything gen in that watch.

Dereksdad

Horology Curious
6/1/19
Hampton Bays, New York
Ok thank you so much for looking I’ll send some more pics. I’d love to get it up and running no matter if it’s original or not. It’s the only item I have from my father, and I have spent a bit of money on the 2 Angelus movements in hopes to get it up and running. Anything you can do to help to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much for your time so far!!

Sincerley,

Keith

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Ok thank you so much for looking I’ll send some more pics. I’d love to get it up and running no matter if it’s original or not. It’s the only item I have from my father, and I have spent a bit of money on the 2 Angelus movements in hopes to get it up and running. Anything you can do to help to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much for your time so far!!

Sincerley,

Keith

I'm not an angelus expert but the one on the left looks ok while the other one needs the alarm bridge removed.
then you likely need new hands and a new dial. Can I see the movement that's inside the watch now?